Free Press Patrons help keep our journalism independent
The Free Press is one of the largest independent newspapers in Canada; we aren’t owned by a large media company with dozens of titles under its umbrella. Our coverage decisions are our own and we are beholden to no one except you, our subscribers and readers, for whom we work to bring trustworthy local journalism every single day.
By becoming a Free Press Patron through an annual contribution of $150, you not only show you care enough about your community to play an even bigger part in our mission to deliver trusted information, but you also unlock a series of exclusive benefits as a show of appreciation for your extended support.
Join now to safeguard the future of the Free Press and journalism that matters with a gift of $150.Become a Patron
As a Free Press patron, your generosity will also allow you to access a wide-range of benefits, including:
- The ability to gift a one-year, all-access digital subscription to the person of your choice, and a discounted subscription rate code to share with additional friends and family members.
- Concierge-style customer service to respond to any of your inquiries from subscription information to editorial concerns.
- Regular impact updates via a new newsletter exclusive to patrons which outlines how your contribution is helping sustain our journalistic mission.
- Opportunities to attend special viewings of the upcoming Winnipeg Art Gallery exhibit Headlines: The Art of The News Cycle, including the private, opening-night event, or a tour guided by Free Press editor Paul Samyn.
- Patron-only giveaways for items and experiences such as tickets to watch the Winnipeg Jets with columnist Mike McIntyre, signed copies of our 150th anniversary community cookbook, Homemade: Recipes and Stories from Winnipeg and Beyond, and other 150th anniversary-related prizes.
Note: As the Free Press is not a registered charity, we are unable to provide taxable receipts for your gift.
I am proud of the work I produce and those I produce it with. For the first time in history, the Free Press truly embodies Manitoba in all of its complicated and complex parts, and it is better for it.
– Niigaan Sinclair, columnist (joined the Free Press in 2018)
Join from $150 a year
You can choose to support us with a one-time or recurring yearly contribution of $150 or more. Your Patron status helps us in many specific ways, including:
- Allowing us to allocate resources into investigative, long-form journalism
- Ensuring we can continue to offer the broadest breadth and depth of coverage in the province
- Moving us toward our goal of a reader-funded newsroom
In a time of upheaval and uncertainty — and when democratic institutions like a free press are under threat — we’ve never stopped paying attention to government decision-making and how it affects Manitobans. It’s an honour and a responsibility that I take seriously.
– Carol Sanders, legislature reporter (joined the Free Press in 1997)
If you’d like to learn more about becoming a Free Press Patron before joining, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’d be happy to answer any questions you may have.