Auto Racing

Auto Racing

Daytona International Speedway to install LED lighting throughout the famed NASCAR track

The Associated Press 2 minute read 12:48 PM CDT

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Daytona International Speedway is installing LED lighting in and around the famed 2 1/2-mile track that is expected to create “dynamic, visually engaging moments throughout race events.”

In collaboration with Musco, the speedway will install LED lighting on mast poles around the oval and on the road course as well as inside the infield and on pit road. Emergency lights also will be LEDs, and the project will feature LED accent lighting that will synchronize with caution lights.

“The new LED lighting system at Daytona International Speedway underscores NASCAR’s continued commitment to reinvest in its facilities, enhancing the overall experience for fans attending events at Daytona as well as those watching around the world,” NASCAR chief operating officer Ben Kennedy said. “The project will create new, visually compelling moments that drive fan engagement, elevate partner visibility and generate excitement across the sport.”

The upgrade will deliver brighter, more consistent illumination across the facility, significantly improving visibility for competitors and race teams, enhancing the in-person fan experience, and elevating television broadcast quality. Additionally, the new lights are expected to reduce energy consumption by approximately 50%, supporting NASCAR's goal of achieving net zero operating emissions by 2035.

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Weather

May. 21, 6 PM: 20°c Cloudy with wind May. 22, 12 AM: 12°c Windy

Winnipeg MB

20°C, Cloudy with wind

Full Forecast

Auto Racing

MONTREAL (AP) — Lewis Hamilton has pushed back against what he calls people “trying to retire me” and insists he'll be staying in Formula 1 for “quite some time” to come.

The 41-year-old seven-time F1 champion appeared to confirm that his Ferrari contract covers 2027 as he was asked about next year after an up-and-down start to his second season with the Italian team.

“I’m still in contract, so everything’s 100% clear to me. I’m still focused, I'm still motivated, I still love what I do with all my heart, and I’m going to be here for quite some time, so get used to it,” he said Thursday ahead of the Canadian Grand Prix.

“There’s a lot of people that are trying to retire me, and that’s not even on my thoughts. I’m already thinking of what will be next and planning for the next five years. But yeah, I still plan to be here for some time.”

Auto Racing

2-time NASCAR champion Kyle Busch hospitalized with severe illness, family says

Steve Reed, The Associated Press 4 minute read Preview

2-time NASCAR champion Kyle Busch hospitalized with severe illness, family says

Steve Reed, The Associated Press 4 minute read Updated: 1:28 PM CDT

CONCORD, N.C. (AP) — Two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion Kyle Busch has been hospitalized with a severe illness and won't compete at Charlotte Motor Speedway this weekend, his family said Thursday.

His family posted the news on social media and said he is currently undergoing treatment.

“We ask for understanding and privacy as our family navigates this situation,” the statement continued.

During a Cup Series race on May 10 at Watkins Glen, Busch radioed in to his crew requesting medical aid from Dr. Bill Heisel and a “shot” after the race. According to the TV broadcast, Busch had been struggling with a sinus cold that was exacerbated by the intense G-forces and elevation changes at the Upstate New York road course.

Read
Updated: 1:28 PM CDT

Auto Racing

Five things to get you up to speed for F1’s Canadian Grand Prix

Daniel Rainbird, The Canadian Press 4 minute read Preview

Five things to get you up to speed for F1’s Canadian Grand Prix

Daniel Rainbird, The Canadian Press 4 minute read Updated: 1:30 PM CDT

MONTREAL - Formula One’s travelling circus has arrived in Montreal — a little earlier than usual.

Rather than its traditional mid-June slot, the Canadian Grand Prix is set for this weekend on Île Notre-Dame. And for the first time, the race overlaps with a Montreal Canadiens playoff run, adding to the city’s festive atmosphere.

The event runs Friday through Sunday at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. Here are five things you should know.

SPRINT WEEKEND

Read
Updated: 1:30 PM CDT

Auto Racing

Katherine Legge is ready make historic attempt to try and complete racing’s 1,100-mile ‘double’

Michael Marot, The Associated Press 5 minute read Preview

Katherine Legge is ready make historic attempt to try and complete racing’s 1,100-mile ‘double’

Michael Marot, The Associated Press 5 minute read 2:19 PM CDT

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Katherine Legge missed the Indianapolis 500 media day festivities Thursday because of a flight delay in New York.

She's hoping it's the only hiccup she has on a potentially historic week.

While Legge is trying to become the first female driver to attempt the one-day, two-race, 1,100-mile marathon known as the “double” on Sunday, her team has spent the past week fine-tuning her race-day plans while getting advice from the most recent driver to attempt the feat, Kyle Larson.

“Hopefully, we get all of the travel woes out of the way now before the weekend, and this weekend goes smoothly,” Legge told The Associated Press on Thursday. “My management has been speaking with Kyle's management about how to get the logistics sorted out, how they did it and we're trying our best to copy and paste what they had and they're just keeping me in the loop.”

Read
2:19 PM CDT

Auto Racing

Alex Palou’s continued IndyCar domination draws more boos as he chases a 2nd straight Indy 500 crown

Michael Marot, The Associated Press 5 minute read Preview

Alex Palou’s continued IndyCar domination draws more boos as he chases a 2nd straight Indy 500 crown

Michael Marot, The Associated Press 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 2:23 PM CDT

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Alex Palou senses a change among IndyCar fans these days.

Instead of hearing the warm, roaring cheers like other great IndyCar champions and popular personalities, Palou has started hearing a different chorus from the crowd, boos. No, it's not an overwhelming sentiment, yet, but the Spaniard got a first-hand glimpse of what could lie ahead during the parade lap of this month's Indianapolis Grand Prix.

Of course, the four-time series champion understands why it's happening — fans are weary of seeing him reach victory lane race after race — even though Palou isn't tired of winning.

“It was the first time I heard the boos like from multiple sections and I was like, 'All right,’” he said during practice for the sold-out Indianapolis 500. “I think till now, it's been very friendly and now it's getting like more toward boos. But I think it's good, you need to have that. We're getting booed for being successful and for doing the right thing.”

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 2:23 PM CDT

Auto Racing

Alexander Rossi is sore but determined to make another Indianapolis 500 start following crash

Michael Marot, The Associated Press 4 minute read Preview

Alexander Rossi is sore but determined to make another Indianapolis 500 start following crash

Michael Marot, The Associated Press 4 minute read Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Alexander Rossi was sore Tuesday morning after enduring one of the hardest crashes of his career.

He's still determined not to let an injured right ankle or bad left hand keep him out of IndyCar's biggest race. So the Ed Carpenter Racing team spent Tuesday afternoon in Gasoline Alley, prepping Rossi's backup car with the expectation the Californian will use his best career starting position at the Indianapolis 500, second, to claim his second race win in front of a sellout crowd.

At least that's the plan.

Rossi was still recovering from Monday night surgery on his ankle and hand. Indianapolis Motor Speedway medical director Dr. Julia Vaizer will continue monitoring Rossi's recovery as he tries to return for Friday's final practice. And Rossi has every intention of climbing into that No. 20 car when WNBA star Caitlin Clark gives the traditional starting command.

Read
Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

Auto Racing

Kevin Harvick selected to NASCAR Hall of Fame Class of 2027 along with Jeff Burton, Larry Phillips

Steve Reed, The Associated Press 4 minute read Preview

Kevin Harvick selected to NASCAR Hall of Fame Class of 2027 along with Jeff Burton, Larry Phillips

Steve Reed, The Associated Press 4 minute read Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Kevin Harvick, who captured the 2014 Cup Series championship and won 60 races at the sport’s top level, was selected to the NASCAR Hall of Fame on Tuesday along with former teammate Jeff Burton and Larry Phillips.

The induction ceremony is set for Jan. 22, 2027, bringing the total number of Hall of Fame inductees to 73.

Harvick received 46 of the 50 votes cast by the panel which included representatives from NASCAR, the Hall of Fame, track owners from major facilities and historic short tracks, media members, manufacturer representatives, competitors (drivers, owners, crew chiefs), recognized industry leaders, reigning NASCAR Cup Series champion Kyle Larson and a nationwide fan vote.

Burton received the second-most at 32% to edge out Neil Bonnett, Randy Dorton and the late Greg Biffle for the second and final spot on the modern ballot.

Read
Tuesday, May. 19, 2026

Auto Racing

Caitlin Clark has been named the Indianapolis 500 grand marshal

The Associated Press 3 minute read Preview

Caitlin Clark has been named the Indianapolis 500 grand marshal

The Associated Press 3 minute read Updated: 2:42 PM CDT

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Caitlin Clark is finally going to the Indianapolis 500 and she'll do it in style.

Race organizers announced Tuesday they had chosen the two-time WNBA All-Star as the grand marshal for Sunday's race. Her basketball schedule had prevented her from previously participating in race week activities.

Last May, the Fever played a home game the day before a rare Indianapolis 500-Indiana Pacers race day doubleheader. They also played on race weekend during her rookie season in 2024. This week, though, they host the expansion Portland Fire on Wednesday and Golden State on Friday before getting a six-day break.

"I’m honored to represent Gainbridge as grand marshal of the Indy 500,” Clark said in a statement. “I’m looking forward to experiencing an iconic piece of what makes Indiana so special and being part of the time-honored tradition of ‘The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.’”

Read
Updated: 2:42 PM CDT

Arts & Entertainment

Rob Gronkowski named grand marshal of Indianapolis 500 Snake Pit for 2nd straight year

The Associated Press 2 minute read Preview

Rob Gronkowski named grand marshal of Indianapolis 500 Snake Pit for 2nd straight year

The Associated Press 2 minute read Monday, May. 18, 2026

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Four-time Super Bowl champion and Fox NFL studio analyst Rob Gronkowski has been named grand marshal of the Indianapolis 500's Snake Pit, race organizers said Monday.

It's second consecutive year the four-time Super Bowl champion will serve in that role.

The sold-out race is scheduled to be run Sunday.

Gronkowski played with New England from 2010-18, winning three Super Bowls with Tom Brady and the Patriots. He ended his one-year retirement to rejoin Brady in Tampa Bay, where the two teamed up to win another Super Bowl title. In November, he retired again.

Read
Monday, May. 18, 2026

Auto Racing

Alexander Rossi still hoping to compete in Indianapolis 500 after crash leads to hand surgery

Michael Marot, The Associated Press 4 minute read Preview

Alexander Rossi still hoping to compete in Indianapolis 500 after crash leads to hand surgery

Michael Marot, The Associated Press 4 minute read Monday, May. 18, 2026

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Alexander Rossi had surgery to repair minor injuries to his left hand Monday night following a crash earlier in the day during practice for the Indianapolis 500, his team announced.

Ed Carpenter Racing said Rossi, the 2016 race winner, hopes to drive in Friday's final practice and again in Sunday's race, even though his health status is still under evaluation.

Rossi was taken from Indianapolis Motor Speedway to a hospital after his car spun going through the second turn on the track's 2.5-mile oval and hit the outside wall before skidding down the track with the rear end of his No. 20 car briefly dragging along the top of the wall. The trailing Pato O'Ward tried to avoid a collision but couldn't stop in time and hit the side of Rossi's car. Romain Grosjean was also collected in the crash.

All three drivers went to the medical center with O'Ward and Grosjean being checked and released within minutes. Rossi, in contrast, was taken to the hospital after the first crash of the month on Indy's oval.

Read
Monday, May. 18, 2026

Auto Racing

Penalized teams say rules violations not intended to give their drivers an edge for Indy qualifying

Michael Marot, The Associated Press 5 minute read Preview

Penalized teams say rules violations not intended to give their drivers an edge for Indy qualifying

Michael Marot, The Associated Press 5 minute read Monday, May. 18, 2026

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Dennis Reinbold and Larry Foyt, the key decision-makers for the drivers penalized by IndyCar for violating league rules during Indianapolis 500 qualifying, issued statements Monday saying the teams did not intend to give Jack Harvey or Caio Collet a competitive advantage.

Harvey and Collet each had their qualifying attempts disallowed and will now start next weekend's sold-out race from the final two spots on the 33-car grid.

Defending race winner Alex Palou won the pole and will try to become the seventh driver with back-to-back 500 victories.

“I don’t want to say that we bounced back from yesterday with all of the usual stuff we had on Sunday,” Harvey said after posting the seventh-fastest lap, 224.287 mph, in Monday's abbreviated practice session. “It is what it is. No crying about it. The important thing is how we respond. That determines what we can achieve on race day.”

Read
Monday, May. 18, 2026

Auto Racing

Denny Hamlin doing his homework to stay on top of NASCAR heading into Coca-Cola 600

Nate Ryan, The Associated Press 6 minute read Preview

Denny Hamlin doing his homework to stay on top of NASCAR heading into Coca-Cola 600

Nate Ryan, The Associated Press 6 minute read Monday, May. 18, 2026

Denny Hamlin was so bothered by his middling performance at Dover Motor Speedway 12 years ago that he saw a sports psychologist to restore his faith.

After winning the NASCAR All-Star Race on Sunday for his third consecutive victory at the 1-mile track, he spoke with the confidence to conquer any oval in the Cup Series.

“It’s very weird and unique at this point in my career that I’m in this place,” the 45-year-old Hamlin said. “But if we’re going to a track that turns left, I expect to win every single week.”

Next up for the 21-year veteran is the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway, and the oldest driver on the circuit will be among the favorites for the longest race in NASCAR.

Read
Monday, May. 18, 2026

Auto Racing

IndyCar penalizes 2 cars for rules violations by putting them at the back of Indianapolis 500 field

The Associated Press 2 minute read Preview

IndyCar penalizes 2 cars for rules violations by putting them at the back of Indianapolis 500 field

The Associated Press 2 minute read Sunday, May. 17, 2026

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — IndyCar penalized drivers Caio Collet and Jack Harvey for making unapproved changes to their cars for Sunday's Indianapolis 500 qualifying, sending them to the final two starting spots on the 33-car grid in next weekend's race.

Post-qualifying technical inspection revealed the rules violations, IndyCar said in a statement. The teams can appeal.

Collet, a rookie with A.J. Foyt Enterprises, and Harvey, who is running his only race of the season with Dreyer & Reinbold Racing, also will forfeit their pit positions. In addition, Collet will lose three points he accumulated by making the 12-car pole shootout, won by defending Indy winner and four-time series champion Alex Palou.

Scott Dixon, the 2008 race winner, and Rinus Veekay of the Netherlands also add the disputed points to their totals and they will gain one starting spot. Dixon will now start 10th with Veekay 11th.

Read
Sunday, May. 17, 2026

Auto Racing

Josef Newgarden and Kyle Kirkwood fall out of the pole mix early during Indianapolis 500 Pole Day

Michael Marot, The Associated Press 4 minute read Preview

Josef Newgarden and Kyle Kirkwood fall out of the pole mix early during Indianapolis 500 Pole Day

Michael Marot, The Associated Press 4 minute read Sunday, May. 17, 2026

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Josef Newgarden took some solace in his inexplicable qualifying run. At least he has a better starting position in this year's Indianapolis 500 than last year's.

Kyle Kirkwood endured a much rougher day. His car was slow, his team was shut out of Indy's 12-car pole shootout and it became less likely he'll cut into Alex Palou's 27-point lead during next Sunday's race.

It was an abysmal afternoon for the two American drivers and others on a challenging Pole Day at Indianapolis Motor Speedway because of hot temperatures, soaring track temps and and some of the windiest qualifying conditions Kirkwood could remember at the Brickyard's 2.5-mile oval.

“That’s the speed she wants to go,” Newgarden said after posting a four-lap average of 230.165 mph. ”I’m happy with the car and race trim, but that's what she had. I’m ready to go racing."

Read
Sunday, May. 17, 2026

Auto Racing

Alex Palou starts his Indianapolis 500 title from the pole after taking the top spot in qualifying

Michael Marot, The Associated Press 5 minute read Preview

Alex Palou starts his Indianapolis 500 title from the pole after taking the top spot in qualifying

Michael Marot, The Associated Press 5 minute read Sunday, May. 17, 2026

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Alex Palou surprised himself Sunday.

The Spanish driver who has dominated race after race over the past two IndyCar seasons, arrived at the Brickyard for Indianapolis 500 qualifying expecting to be out of the pole-winning mix. He hadn't seen enough out of his No. 10 car since series officials cranked up the power for practice Friday, and he had a late spot in the qualifying line when track temperatures would be soaring.

The four-time series champ figured it out. Again. He had his best qualifying attempt on his final four-lap run with an average speed of 232.248 mph. That bumped Alexander Rossi to second with a 231.990 and gave Palou his second 500 pole.

“We did not have speed like that even on Fast Friday,” said Palou, who celebrated by jumping up and down with team members in his pit stall. “We did tires and tried and tried to get more speed. It was OK, I think we were top five, top six but then there were cars that just had a huge advantage on everyone and then, this morning, we barely made it into the top 12.”

Read
Sunday, May. 17, 2026

LOAD MORE AUTO RACING ARTICLES