Team owner, league brass blown away by Sea Bears debut

Could the Canadian Elite Basketball League’s Winnipeg debut Saturday have been a bigger success?

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 29/05/2023 (1180 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Could the Canadian Elite Basketball League’s Winnipeg debut Saturday have been a bigger success?

It’s hard to imagine anything to top that, given the long pre-game lineups at the merchandise tables, a roaring record-setting crowd of 7,303 filling the lower bowl at Canada Life Centre and a thrilling 90-85 win by the hometown Sea Bears over the Vancouver Bandits.

“It was an extraordinary night and there’s always a huge amount of excitement when there’s something new,” said Sea Bears owner David Asper on Monday. “It was way beyond where we ever thought we would be for that game but we have to be realistic and keep our feet on the ground.”

Sea Bears make dazzling debut
BROOK JONES / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
Winnipeg Sea Bears forward Chad Posthumus goes in for a hook shot Saturday night at Canada Life Centre. The local product finished with 10 points and nine rebounds.

CEBL commissioner Mike Morreale came away from the experience a little awestruck, beginning with the club’s pre-game party at True North Square.

“The amount (of merchandise) I saw — you would have thought that team had been in town for 10 years,” said Morreale. “It was mind-blowing and the whole thing was surreal. It was like being at a (Toronto) Raptors game. The intensity. The cheering of every bucket and every defensive stand and playing in that arena is instant credibility, right?”

The inaugural game came only six months after Asper first unveiled plans for the expansion team. At the time, seating capacity for games was set at a modest 4,500 per game, essentially the bottom portion of the lower bowl at Canada Life Centre. Demand for tickets quickly outstripped the original supply.

BROOK JONES / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
                                Winnipeg Sea Bears owner and chairman David Asper cheers for the home team, while he watches the game with his wife, Ruth, and their son, Max at Saturday’s game against the visiting Vancouver Bandits at Canada Life Centre.

BROOK JONES / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Winnipeg Sea Bears owner and chairman David Asper cheers for the home team, while he watches the game with his wife, Ruth, and their son, Max at Saturday’s game against the visiting Vancouver Bandits at Canada Life Centre.

The Sea Bears capped ticket sales when the lower bowl was sold out but could have sold more seats for Saturday’s game in the upper deck.

“There’s a moment when every entrepreneur tries to start a business when you open and you have no idea whether anybody is going to show up and you’ve taken this big risk and it’s a high-tension moment…,” said Asper.

“And so the demand for our merch, even pre-game for weeks in advance of this game, has been has been very steady so I guess I’m not completely surprised… It’s just a gratitude moment where you open your business and people actually show up and want to participate in what you’re doing.”

The Ontario-based Morreale said his ambitions for Winnipeg as a CEBL market were heightened when he attended an exhibition game between Team Canada and the Nigerian national men’s team at Canada Life Centre in the summer of 2019. That game drew approximately 8,000 fans.

“It just made me think, ‘Wow, if they’re coming out for that en mass, there’s a basketball community there that is really engaged and of course there’s the (large local) Filipino population, and all that stuff that plays into that but there are a lot of basketball fans in Winnipeg,” said Morreale, who has been with the CEBL since it was founded in 2017.

“So, to see it happening in some part supported my view, but another part was completely surreal and mind-blowing from my perspective, to see where we’ve come from to where we are today.”

“It was way beyond where we ever thought we would be for that game but we have to be realistic and keep our feet on the ground.”–Sea Bears owner David Asper

Asper, who was among those who partnered with Sam Katz to operate the World Basketball League and National Basketball League’s Winnipeg Thunder in the early 1990s, said his organization will be fine-tuning its approach for the club’s next home game on June 12.

“Everybody who works for the Sea Bears, including me, we’re very dialed in and paying attention to what the fan experience was and we want to be very mindful of that. If we’re getting something wrong, we want to know about that…,” said Asper.

“For example, some people didn’t like the music, or the fact that it was playing all the time. So, if you noticed, we changed that on the fly… actually, it resulted in way more fan engagement. And the crowd started chanting, ‘Defence, defence.’”

BROOK JONES / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
                                Fans cheer for the home team.

BROOK JONES / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Fans cheer for the home team.

The task of filling the league’s largest arena could suit the Sea Bears well in the long term.

“Winnipeg is unique for several reasons,” said Morreale. “Venue is obviously one of them… I think history plays into it in Winnipeg a lot. There’s a lot of people that have missed pro basketball in Winnipeg, and are really excited and you see it now with those fans who are young teens, etc., or parents with young teens or young kids. It’s almost like their opportunity to say, ‘We don’t want to lose this one. We want to keep this team around and we’re going to support it.’ ”

mike.sawatzky@freepress.mb.ca

Twitter: @sawa14

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Preview

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Yesterday at 6:07 PM CDT

An Interlake teacher with a history of “intimidating” outbursts has been ordered to participate in counselling and study anger-management strategies after he made a child cry.

Read
Yesterday at 6:07 PM CDT

WSD official expects older students to get free youth Transit passes first in staggered rollout of pilot program

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Preview

WSD official expects older students to get free youth Transit passes first in staggered rollout of pilot program

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:37 PM CDT

A program allowing youths to ride Winnipeg Transit buses fare-free is on track to start next month, though some will wait longer than others to get their passes.

The provincially funded Free Youth Transit Pass Pilot program will provide no-cost rides to youths between the ages of 11 and 17 and high school students between the ages of 18 and 21.

On Thursday, Premier Wab Kinew revealed not all students will be eligible when school resumes next month, as passes will be available based on grade levels.

“It’s going to happen week by week, more and more students will be getting the bus passes. So, this is just at the request of the people who run Transit, so that they can accommodate this new program. As you go back to school, you’ll find out how the bus passes are going to be distributed,” said Kinew.

Read
Yesterday at 6:37 PM CDT

Don’t buy U.S. booze if, when it’s back on Liquor Mart shelves: Kinew

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Don’t buy U.S. booze if, when it’s back on Liquor Mart shelves: Kinew

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 5:22 PM CDT

Manitoba hasn’t agreed to put American liquor back on shelves despite Prime Minister Mark Carney’s request while his government finalizes a trade deal with the U.S. to avoid new tariffs.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 5:22 PM CDT

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Not everyone enters medical school with a built-in study buddy.

Sisters Maya and Dana Jalal joined 135 of their classmates to don white coats and mark the beginning of their journey through the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine Wednesday morning.

Maya, 22, and Dana, 21, were accepted into medical school at the same time.

“Thankfully, we both got accepted in the same area, same time. So we decided we’d rather go together than apart,” Maya said. “It’ll be nice seeing different perspectives during our studies. We are siblings, but we each have our own perspectives, our own lived experiences.”

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Vance weighs in on Jivani trade advocacy and how Carney tried to ‘out-tough’ Trump

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Vance weighs in on Jivani trade advocacy and how Carney tried to ‘out-tough’ Trump

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 5:55 PM CDT

WASHINGTON - U.S. Vice-President JD Vance weighed in on the latest trade deal with Canada at a fundraising event Wednesday, saying Prime Minister Mark Carney tried to "out-tough" President Donald Trump while crediting his longtime friend Conservative MP Jamil Jivani as a helpful advocate for Canada.

In audio from the fundraiser in Southampton, N.Y., which was provided to The Canadian Press by a source who attended the private function, Vance said Carney is a "very sweet guy" and he gets along with him quite well.

But, Vance said, Carney "comes in and puffs his chest out and says, 'I'm going to, like, out-tough Donald Trump.'"

"It's hilarious because Carney presents this as some victory for Canada when fundamentally, like, they climb down on a lot of issues," Vance told the room.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 5:55 PM CDT