Displaced tenants’ hotel costs still covered by taxpayers Birchwood Terrace evacuated six months ago over structural concerns

Some tenants who were displaced when a St. James apartment block was deemed structurally unsafe six months ago are still living in hotels at the Manitoba government’s expense.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 12/11/2024 (648 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Some tenants who were displaced when a St. James apartment block was deemed structurally unsafe six months ago are still living in hotels at the Manitoba government’s expense.

Carol Lynch and other Birchwood Terrace evacuees have questioned why taxpayers are covering the cost of hotel rooms instead of property owner Ladco Co. Ltd.

“It’s (the company’s) problem. Why should the province pay?” Lynch told the Free Press Tuesday.

“It’s (the company’s) problem. Why should the province pay?”–Carol Lynch

MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS 
Carol Lynch has been living in a hotel room with her dog Trixie.
MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS

Carol Lynch has been living in a hotel room with her dog Trixie.

Some 250 tenants were forced to leave the building at 2440 Portage Ave. with little notice May 9 due to structural damage to steel supports in an underground parkade. Lynch and her dog, Trixie, have been in hotel rooms since then.

It was unclear how many tenants are still in hotels. Lynch said six are at the hotel she is staying in. The province would not say how many Birchwood Terrace residents continue to receive support.

As of Sept. 30, the government has spent $216,097 to support 136 residents “to ensure no one was left without a place to stay,” a spokesperson said.

The province would not say if it is trying or will try to recoup evacuation-related expenses from Ladco. A company official did not respond to a request for comment.

In June, Premier Wab Kinew said businesses such as Ladco should foot the bill when residents are displaced.

“You have a private company who’s created a situation of stress for so many people, and now it’s up to the taxpayers of Manitoba to step in. Is that fair?” he said at the time.

Lynch plans to return to her apartment suite — and her belongings that are still there — when repairs are completed and Birchwood Terrace is deemed structurally safe for occupancy.

A break-in at the fenced-off complex Sunday night gave her and other tenants one more thing to worry about amid an already stressful ordeal.

“It pisses me off,” she said of the incident.

Evacuees were initially supported by the city and the Canadian Red Cross. The province took over June 1 and extended support beyond a June 30 deadline for people who remained in hotels.

Some tenants moved in with family or friends. Others relinquished their suites when they found new homes to rent via their own searches or Ladco-owned property manager Lakewood Agencies.

Residents were eventually allowed back in to retrieve belongings.

As Lynch began to wait it out in a hotel, an initial tentative timeline from Lakewood Agencies suggested tenants could return after Aug. 31, in a best-case scenario.

She had hoped to be back home by now, but the potential return date continued to be pushed back.

Lakewood Agencies informed tenants Oct. 29 at least three more weeks of work must be completed before full-time occupancy can be permitted, according to a message obtained by the Free Press.

Due to the “unforeseeable delays,” returning tenants have until March 1, 2025 to sign leases with special rent and conditions, the message said. They were initially given a deadline of Jan. 1, 2025.

MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS 
Carol Lynch hoped to be back home by now, but the return date to Birchwood Terrace kept getting pushed back.
MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS

Carol Lynch hoped to be back home by now, but the return date to Birchwood Terrace kept getting pushed back.

Lynch said she is on a limited income, receiving disability support, and unlikely to find an affordable rental unit in the same area. Some buildings do not accept pets.

The province initially covered daily food vouchers for tenants who were in hotels. Lynch and her dog are now in a room with a kitchenette.

“It’s not fun living in a hotel. It’s very boring,” she said. “It’s kind of depressing.”

Lynch last checked on her suite at Birchwood Terrace about a week ago.

Winnipeg police arrested two people after officers were called to a report of a break-in at the building at about 11 p.m. Sunday.

“(The suspects) breached a security fence and then they accessed the building,” said police spokesman Const. Pat Saydak. “Property security noticed that they were there and alerted us.”

The suspects fled but were arrested nearby on Assiniboine Crescent. A police dog was used to find the pair.

A 20-year-old woman and 38-year-old man are charged with break and enter. The woman was allegedly in possession of break-in tools.

Saydak said officers determined no property was stolen.

The building’s owner hired private security to keep an eye on the property after the city issued the evacuation order in May.

Kim Scott, whose late 90-year-old mother, Florence Scott, was among the evacuees, was disappointed when she learned of the break-in.

Scott said she made a police report in October, after she and her brother were allowed into their mother’s suite and noticed items, including lamps, a stand mixer and a portable heater, appeared to be missing.

She said she believes the stress of the sudden move contributed to her mother’s death July 30.

“I’m distraught, because my mom’s not here anymore. These (belongings) are precious to us,” she said. “At the time, it felt like there was no security, because how did this happen?”

chris.kitching@freepress.mb.ca

Chris Kitching

Chris Kitching
Reporter

Chris Kitching is a general assignment reporter at the Free Press. He began his newspaper career in 2001, with stops in Winnipeg, Toronto and London, England, along the way. After returning to Winnipeg, he joined the Free Press in 2021, and now covers a little bit of everything for the newspaper. Read more about Chris.

Every piece of reporting Chris produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

The union representing Winnipeg Transit drivers says the need for full safety shields is critical after an operator was threatened with a hatchet early Thursday.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Winnipegger just one shot off the lead after opening round at Manitoba Open

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Winnipegger just one shot off the lead after opening round at Manitoba Open

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Braxton Kuntz began the week not knowing if he’d even be able to play in the Manitoba Open.

The 22-year-old Winnipegger will head to Elmhurst early Friday morning just one shot off the lead — hanging tough with the heavyweights from PGA Tour Americas — after firing a fantastic five-under 65 Thursday afternoon.

“Playing in front of friends, family, a nice gallery watching out there…to start out like that, I’m putting myself in contention,” said Kuntz.

He didn’t realize just how close he was until the Free Press informed him that only Kentucky’s Drew Doyle, who has already won on tour earlier this season, had posted a better score among the 156-player field. Doyle shot a six-under 64.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Wait times for MRIs getting worse in Brandon, Dauphin

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

BRANDON — Wait times for MRI scans have surged in the Prairie Mountain Health region during the last two years.

Despite a campaign promise by the NDP in September 2023 to increase the number of allied health professionals capable of administering diagnostic imaging in northern and rural areas, wait times for MRIs have increased dramatically in Brandon and Dauphin.

Median imaging wait times tripled at Dauphin Regional Health Centre between 2024 and 2026, increasing from eight to 24 weeks, according to the province’s wait time dashboard.

The Brandon Regional Health Centre median wait times for MRI scans more than doubled during the same period, from nine to 23 weeks.

Letters, Aug. 22

7 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Foster system must be better

Re: Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope (Aug. 18)

Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine’s assertion that “you can’t train people not to be violent” should concern everyone who cares about the safety of children in Manitoba’s child welfare system.

Of course, no training program can guarantee that an individual will never harm a child. But framing these tragedies as the actions of a few “abominable” people risks absolving the system of its responsibility to prevent harm.

Sunshine Fund guarantees a little magic in the summer

Grace Penner 3 minute read Preview

Sunshine Fund guarantees a little magic in the summer

Grace Penner 3 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

To this day, I still remember the morning polar plunges into Moose Lake — a cold shock to the system meant to wake campers up before the sun hit its peak.

Throughout my youth, my siblings and I attended Camps with Meaning, an organization that at the time offered three Mennonite bible camps at Camp Moose Lake, Camp Koinonia, and Camp Assiniboina. I spent many summers at Camp Moose Lake as well as an annual weekend trip with my high school, Westgate Mennonite Collegiate.

I have fond memories of swimming in the lake, picking up a bow and arrow for archery practice, sitting in the cafeteria with all of my friends waiting to devour home-cooked meals, as well as camp-wide games of Manhunt where bouts of giggling echoed around the property.

My parents were able to send all three of us to camp, including my brothers Jonah and Samuel, due to the camp being subsidized by the Mennonite Church. Without the financial assistance, it would have been a strain on my family to support three children going to summer camp on a yearly basis.

Read
2:01 AM CDT