‘Incredibly dangerous’ Highway 8 to Gimli to get passing lanes At least three killed in head-on collisions since 2021

Gimli resident Teri Nicholson tries to avoid driving on single-lane Highway 8 at the height of summer, after witnessing close calls or reckless decisions in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 22/01/2025 (575 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Gimli resident Teri Nicholson tries to avoid driving on single-lane Highway 8 at the height of summer, after witnessing close calls or reckless decisions in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

She was relieved when the Manitoba government revealed that passing lanes will be built in various spots along a nearly 54-kilometre section where a surface reconstruction project will begin as early as this summer.

“Most of us locals in the summer use (different) highways,” said Nicholson, who started an online petition to lobby the province for passing lanes. “Most of us would refuse to drive on Highway 8 because you’re taking your life in your hands.”

SUPPLIED
                                Gimli resident Teri Nicholson started a petition last summer to improve Highway 8.

SUPPLIED

Gimli resident Teri Nicholson started a petition last summer to improve Highway 8.

In winter, there are concerns about the weather and ice.

Manitoba Transportation and Infrastructure determined passing lanes are warranted on Highway 8, between Highway 67, west of Selkirk, and Provincial Road 231 in Gimli, a government spokesperson said Wednesday.

The project is in the design phase. The provincial department’s website said construction is expected to begin this summer and finish in the fall of 2026. The cost of adding passing lanes is not yet available.

“The planning of the addition of passing lanes predates the petition and was made as part of the department’s regular process while assessing traffic volumes and safety priorities,” the government spokesperson wrote in an email.

Nicholson received an email from Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Lisa Naylor’s office on Jan. 17 to inform her of the improvements.

“There are various locations on PTH 8 between PTH 67 and PR 231 that will be upgraded with passing lanes with construction anticipated to begin in 2025,” the email said.

“This announcement is going to make many of our residents and the travelling public quite happy.”–Mayor Joy Sul

Nicholson started the petition on the August long weekend last year, when local single-lane highways were busy with traffic headed to the Icelandic Festival of Manitoba in Gimli, Lake Winnipeg beaches and cottages and other destinations.

She noticed a lot of complaints about traffic or reckless drivers, while scrolling through posts on social media.

“I thought, ‘Oh God, why don’t we do something instead of being keyboard warriors?’” she said.

Her petition, submitted to Naylor’s office in September, had about 1,100 signatures.

Nicholson described the single-lane portion of the highway as “extremely treacherous” and said near-misses are common when drivers try to pass multiple vehicles in one go.

The petition said it seems to get worse each year, especially on summer weekends when tourist traffic is heavy.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS FILES 
Traffic on Highway 8 is particularly bad on busy summer weekends, but in the winter there are concerns about ice.
RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS FILES

Traffic on Highway 8 is particularly bad on busy summer weekends, but in the winter there are concerns about ice.

At least three people have died in head-on collisions on the single-lane portion of Highway 8 since 2021. The highway is twinned between Winnipeg and just north of the St. Andrews Airport.

The 54-km section that will undergo upgrades had annual average daily traffic count estimates of 4,820 vehicles on the southern end near Highway 67 in 2023, and just over 3,000 vehicles closer to Gimli, government data showed.

Much of the untwinned section runs through the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews. Mayor Joy Sul said the government’s plans for passing lanes are “absolutely wonderful news” for residents.

“In the summertime, it’s bumper to bumper,” she said.

Sul, on behalf of St. Andrews’ council, wrote to Naylor in October to raise concerns about safety at the intersection of highways 8 and 67, which the mayor described as a “dangerous” corner in need of improvements.

The RM’s fire department responded to 10 collisions at the intersection between 2021 and 2023. Data for 2024 was not yet available.

“Most of us would refuse to drive on Highway 8 because you’re taking your life in your hands.”–Teri Nicholson

Sul said the St. Andrews council is grateful to the province for being receptive and listening to its concerns.

“This announcement is going to make many of our residents and the travelling public quite happy,” she said.

Nicholson expressed concern about speeding drivers, and the potential for hazardous situations when traffic backs up behind slower-moving vehicles.

She has nervously watched drivers pull into the opposite lane and try to pass the queue, and then try to squeeze back into the lineup to avoid an oncoming vehicle. In some cases, there was very little space or time to do so.

“People are slamming brakes on and pulling onto the shoulder. It’s incredibly dangerous,” Nicholson said. “If someone is not paying attention, it’s a recipe for disaster.”

She said commuters and local residents who drive to Winnipeg and back for shopping, events or other purposes are among frequent users of the highway, which has a top speed limit of 10o km/h.

GOOGLE STREET VIEW
                                Hwy 8 between Selkirk and Gimli. Teri Nicholson said she and other area residents avoid Highway 8 in summer.

GOOGLE STREET VIEW

Hwy 8 between Selkirk and Gimli. Teri Nicholson said she and other area residents avoid Highway 8 in summer.

Nicholson said she is “cautiously optimistic,” after learning about the government’s plans for passing lanes. She recalled talk decades ago about the possibility of twinning the highway.

“People are a little bit skeptical because we’ve heard these stories before,” Nicholson said. “I’m glad that I got a response and there seems to be something that is going to happen. I would hope it happens sooner rather than later.”

chris.kitching@freepress.mb.ca

Chris Kitching

Chris Kitching
Reporter

Chris Kitching is a general assignment reporter at the Free Press. He began his newspaper career in 2001, with stops in Winnipeg, Toronto and London, England, along the way. After returning to Winnipeg, he joined the Free Press in 2021, and now covers a little bit of everything for the newspaper. Read more about Chris.

Every piece of reporting Chris produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Preview

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Yesterday at 5:08 PM CDT

A long-awaited project will aim to add 115 new homes in Elmwood, with on-site social programs to support some of its more vulnerable residents.

Read
Yesterday at 5:08 PM CDT

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:32 PM CDT

Not everyone enters medical school with a built-in study buddy.

Sisters Maya and Dana Jalal joined 135 of their classmates to don white coats and mark the beginning of their journey through the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine Wednesday morning.

Maya, 22, and Dana, 21, were accepted into medical school at the same time.

“Thankfully, we both got accepted in the same area, same time. So we decided we’d rather go together than apart,” Maya said. “It’ll be nice seeing different perspectives during our studies. We are siblings, but we each have our own perspectives, our own lived experiences.”

Read
Yesterday at 6:32 PM CDT

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT

A Somali refugee who was twice caught by RCMP assisting in the smuggling of desperate African migrants into Manitoba during the frigid winter — including while out on bail, months after he was first arrested with eight foreign nationals in his vehicle — has admitted he did so for money.

Read
Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT

Carney asks provinces to return U.S. alcohol to stores

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Carney asks provinces to return U.S. alcohol to stores

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:41 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston says Prime Minister Mark Carney has asked provinces to restock American alcohol on their shelves as Canada finalizes a trade deal with the U.S. 

U.S. President Donald Trump announced Tuesday he would put a three-day pause on 50 per cent tariffs that would have hit an array of Canadian goods just after midnight Wednesday.

The two governments are now finalizing the language of the deal.

Carney, who briefed cabinet ministers and premiers about the draft plan Wednesday, said the deal it builds on Canada's existing trade advantages with the U.S.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:41 PM CDT

ATV, generator stolen from Manitoba cottage

1 minute read Yesterday at 9:53 AM CDT

RCMP are seeking the public’s help to identify a person of interest after an all-terrain vehicle and other belongings were stolen from a cottage in southern Manitoba.

The theft happened near near Provincial Road 440 in the Rural Municipality of Louise, about 150 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, on Aug. 11.

Police said surveillance video showed a man walking onto the property at about 2:30 p.m. while covering his face and holding power tools.

A grinder was used to open a locked shipping container, where a 1982 Honda ATC200 all-terrain vehicle, a Honda EU2000i generator and a Stihl FS90 trimmer were among the items stolen, RCMP said. One of two Spypoint trail cameras was also reported stolen.

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 5:55 PM CDT

Canada-U.S. Minister Dominic LeBlanc smiled widely beside U.S. President Donald Trump's trade czar in Washington on Wednesday as they touted a draft deal which appears to have averted a new round of punishing tariffs on Canada.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 5:55 PM CDT