No end(-zone) in sight Flag football season has officially kicked off with sport continuing to grow

There wasn’t a cloud in the sky Saturday as Football Manitoba kicked off another flag football season at Princess Auto Stadium. Games stretched horizontally across the Blue Bombers field, as players aged eight to 18 filed in for their games.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 28/04/2025 (481 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

There wasn’t a cloud in the sky Saturday as Football Manitoba kicked off another flag football season at Princess Auto Stadium. Games stretched horizontally across the Blue Bombers field, as players aged eight to 18 filed in for their games.

More Manitobans than ever before are playing flag football as the game’s rapid growth continues to build momentum. Eight years ago, roughly 800 kids were registered to play. This year, nearly 2,400 have signed up.

Bill Johnson, executive director of Football Manitoba, said low equipment costs and relaxed time commitments make flag football an attractive sport for newcomers.

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS
                                Weston Wizards’ Emmett makes a “tackle” at the flag football season kick off.

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS

Weston Wizards’ Emmett makes a “tackle” at the flag football season kick off.

“There’s not a lot of barriers to participation,” said Johnson. “People show up. You have a couple flags, you have a football, you have a game. Small patch of grass, and off you go.”

Manitoba has a reputation for success across Canada’s flag football community, from the club level to the elite. Team Manitoba won gold at last year’s Elite Flag Nationals in the men’s 18-year-old division, while winning bronze at the men’s under-18 level and both men’s and women’s under-16 levels.

Johnson said the success of Winnipeg’s local teams deserve some credit for the game’s growth.

“The success the (Winnipeg Blue Bombers) have had recently, the success the (Manitoba Bisons) have had recently, I think that gets people excited about football,” said Johnson.

All teams were provided blue or gold flag football jerseys by the Blue Bombers for this weekend’s kick off. The Bombers also spearheaded a high school flag football league for girls which, in its second season, grew from 19 teams to 30.

“The highest level of growth has actually been on the girls’ side,” said Johnson. “This is a co-ed league, and we have all-girls teams competing in that no problem.”

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS
                                Weston Wizards’ Judah makes a run as the Football Manitoba’s Blue Bombers Futures Spring Flag League kicked off Saturday at Princess Auto Stadium.

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS

Weston Wizards’ Judah makes a run as the Football Manitoba’s Blue Bombers Futures Spring Flag League kicked off Saturday at Princess Auto Stadium.

12-year-old Ainsley MacLean plays on an all-girls team with several girls from her school. Despite losing their first game of the weekend, MacLean is confident her team will bounce back.

“It was really good. We tried our hardest, but we didn’t win, but we’re going to do better next time,” said MacLean.

MacLean, in her second year of flag football, said the game has been a great way to meet people and get active.

“I get to do things with my friends,” she said. “It’s fun because sometimes we lose, and sometimes we win, and we know that we’re not always the best, but we can be sometimes.”

Flag football is growing on a global scale as well, being named as an event for the 2028 Olympics in Los Angeles.

Johnson said Football Manitoba just hosted a training camp for the Flag National Team Pathway, which helps identify athletes across Canada for the 2028 Olympic team.

“(Flag football national team) athletes are here in Winnipeg, we have some coaches who are part of that Olympic pathway here in Winnipeg,” said Johnson. “The flag community in Winnipeg is a vibrant one.

Ben Little / Free Press
                                Executive director of Football Manitoba Bill Johnson says the highest level of growth in flag football has been on the girls’ side of the sport.

Ben Little / Free Press

Executive director of Football Manitoba Bill Johnson says the highest level of growth in flag football has been on the girls’ side of the sport.

Still three years away from its Olympic debut, flag football’s thriving community shows no signs of slowing.

“All of a sudden, there’s a chance to go somewhere,” said Johnson. “People are competitive and want to compete — they want that chance. And now, now they have it.

“I think we have a real opportunity to have a couple (Manitoban) athletes at the Olympics.”

Manitoba will look to defend its national medals next month, when the Elite Flag Nationals come to Kingston, Ont., May 16 to 18.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Summer flooding sinks some fall harvest hopes

Tiago Resko 4 minute read Preview

Summer flooding sinks some fall harvest hopes

Tiago Resko 4 minute read Yesterday at 7:08 PM CDT

A number of Manitoba farmers say they are expecting this year’s harvest to be one of the worst they’ve seen after major flooding decimated fields at the start of summer.

Bob Elliot, who has been farming east of Stonewall for 43 years, said he’s expecting the operation’s 5,500 acres to produce roughly half their normal yield.

Stonewall has logged the most precipitation this summer, with 523 millimetres of rainfall between May 1 and Aug. 16, according to Manitoba’s weather conditions report.

Elliot said the amount of rain has created a “unique” situation for farmers. “This is something that I don’t think anyone around here has ever seen.”

Read
Yesterday at 7:08 PM CDT

Seniors left hanging during Bell MTS outage: property manager

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Preview

Seniors left hanging during Bell MTS outage: property manager

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 5:02 PM CDT

Shelly Durham said when it comes to many of her elderly tenants of a downtown highrise apartment, their landline is their lifeline.

That lifeline was disconnected Tuesday after a copper cable that provides telephone service was cut Tuesday during construction work.

“It could be a matter of life and death,” said Durham, the building manager at Broadview Manor. “That’s the scary part.”

Manitoba Hydro spokesperson Peter Chura said a contractor working for the utility contacted the underground communications cable while installing a streetlight cable.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 5:02 PM CDT

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Five-way tie for first means Manitoba Open is still up for grabs

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Five-way tie for first means Manitoba Open is still up for grabs

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Yesterday at 9:28 PM CDT

Garrison Smith isn’t sure why he’s playing the best golf of his life up in Canada this summer.

But the 26-year-old Texan has a very tasty theory.

“You know, I did have poutine here (Thursday) night. And I had some in New Brunswick, too,” Smith said Friday as he grabbed a share of the lead at the midway point of the Manitoba Open at Elmhurst.

He may be on to something.

Read
Yesterday at 9:28 PM CDT

‘Unsafe for children’: Mayoral candidate Vogiatzakis promises to ramp up security in public parks

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Preview

‘Unsafe for children’: Mayoral candidate Vogiatzakis promises to ramp up security in public parks

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Yesterday at 5:32 PM CDT

A mayoral candidate is vowing to have security teams monitor parks and remove people doing drugs at the green spaces, if elected.

Mike Vogiatzakis held a news conference at city hall Friday, where he shared some initial promises.

“People (who) are not supposed to be in those parks, who are bringing drugs to those parks, who are injecting needles in their bodies, they will be removed (from) those parks immediately and their needles will go with them,” said Vogiatzakis.

He vowed to release a new pledge each week for the rest of the campaign.

Read
Yesterday at 5:32 PM CDT

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

A Winnipeg drug dealer has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a March 2025 killing that saw the body of a 30-year-old man dumped in a garbage bin and dragged to a West End alleyway.

Frederick Francis Mathias Baker, who was 28 upon his arrest early last year, shot Bronson Emery Dale Kequahtooway once in the thigh with a sawed-off shotgun and left him with a fatal wound, Crown prosecutor Matt Armstrong told Court of King’s Bench Justice Brian Bowman on Wednesday.

A split second after Baker shot Kequahtooway in the thigh, the victim was shot in the head with a sawed-off .22 rifle. The man accused of being armed with the rifle, Eric Matthew Morrissette, remains before the court on a second-degree murder charge.

“Either wound would have been fatal on its own,” said Armstrong.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026