Jets’ Perfetti motivated to prove his worth following ‘life-changing’ contract

Adam Lowry’s wedding was the main event, of course. But the Winnipeg Jets had even more reason to celebrate this past weekend as they returned from their off-season homes for a spirited summertime gathering.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Adam Lowry’s wedding was the main event, of course. But the Winnipeg Jets had even more reason to celebrate this past weekend as they returned from their off-season homes for a spirited summertime gathering.

Cole Perfetti’s new five-year, US$30 million contract was naturally a hot topic.

“Perfect timing, I guess you could say,” Perfetti said Monday on a Zoom call with media. “Got to have a couple of dinners with everyone and just spend time with the guys. So, it was great to see them, and they were obviously super happy, super supportive. We had a great time together.”

FRANK GUNN / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES
Winnipeg Jets’ Cole Perfetti is expecting a lot from himself when he hits the ice this coming season.
FRANK GUNN / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES

Winnipeg Jets’ Cole Perfetti is expecting a lot from himself when he hits the ice this coming season.

The tight bond that exists in the NHL’s smallest market is a major reason Perfetti told his agent to seek a longer extension — one that eats up some unrestricted free agency years — rather than something shorter. Pen was officially put to paper last Wednesday.

“Me and my family love it there. We love being in Winnipeg, being in Canada, being a part of the organization,” said Perfetti, who was selected 10th-overall by the Jets in 2020.

“Obviously this (past) year wasn’t exactly how we planned on the ice, but you rewind two years ago and we were the best team in the league throughout the regular season. That’s the kind of group that I know we have and what we all believe in and what we can accomplish. One down year, I don’t think, defines who we are as a group.”

Perfetti was with his parents last week at the family cottage in Ontario when his agent called him with the good news, just five days before a scheduled arbitration hearing was set. Nobody believed it would get to that stage, with the deadline simply giving everyone involved a bit more urgency.

“Kind of cliche, but without them (my parents), I wouldn’t be here today. All the hard work and effort and time that they gave up so I could be in this position is, I can’t thank them enough. So, to be able to be with them — I wish my sister and my girlfriend and the whole family was kind of all together — but it was really special to have them there,” he said.

“Kind of cliche, but without them (my parents), I wouldn’t be here today.”

“They might have shed some tears and was very emotional during that time. It was pretty life-changing, so it was amazing to be there and celebrate with them.”

Perfetti now joins Lowry, Mark Scheifele, Kyle Connor, Gabe Vilardi, Josh Morrissey, Neal Pionk, Dylan Samberg and others who are signed long-term with the Jets.

“A lot of guys are still locked up for a while and we’re going to come back together as a close team and try to replicate what we did two years ago,” he said.

And that’s where Perfetti is likely going to have a major say. The 24-year-old is coming off a rough season, one that began with a high-ankle sprain in training camp and never really got on track. He had just 32 points (12G, 20A) in 68 games as the Jets fell all the way to 27th-overall in the standings, one year removed from winning the Presidents’ Trophy.

Perfetti says the organization has clearly shown faith in him by giving him this lucrative new deal. Now he wants to start paying them back.

ETHAN CAIRNS / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES
The tight bond that exists between Perfetti and his teammates is a major reason he told his agent to seek a longer extension.
ETHAN CAIRNS / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES

The tight bond that exists between Perfetti and his teammates is a major reason he told his agent to seek a longer extension.

“They’re showing you what they think of me and what they believe I can become, and the player that I can be. That goes a long way for your confidence when you know that the management, the coaching staff and everyone what they think of you,” he said.

“I expect a lot from myself on the ice this year to take a major step from last year.”

To that extent, Perfetti said a longer-than-anticipated break between action has been a blessing in disguise — one he hopes will lead to a sizzling start come September.

“Hopefully this is the longest off-season that we have. I’ve been trying to make the most of it,” he said.

“This is the most I’ve spent on the ice. This is the best I’ve felt in the gym. Overall, the body and the mind are in a great spot. Obviously now with being here for five (more) years and kind of knowing what the future looks like, it’s really settling and at ease a lot more.”

“I expect a lot from myself on the ice this year to take a major step from last year.”

Perfetti is eager to get an up-close look at new centre Viggo Bjorck, picked eighth-overall by the Jets last month. The 18-year-old has already signed his entry-level deal and left his Swedish club behind, paving the way for him to jump right to the NHL. That could possibly be on a second line with Perfetti.

“He’s a pretty special player. It would be really exciting to play with him and we’ll see where it goes,” he said.

Perfetti doesn’t wear a letter on his sweater, but he envisions becoming a more vocal leader on and off the ice going forward.

“I’m definitely going to work on that and continue to grow not just as a player but as a person, within the community, at the rink, on the ice, everywhere within Winnipeg. So, really looking forward to that opportunity,” he said.

“(Viggo Bjorck is) a pretty special player. It would be really exciting to play with him and we’ll see where it goes.”

“If playing with Viggo is the case, he’s an 18-year-old kid and I know I’m only 24, so still a young guy myself, but it wasn’t too long ago that I was in his shoes playing as a young guy. It’s not easy, the NHL. Having someone who’s a similar age that kind of just went through the ups and downs of it all being a younger guy, maybe being able to connect with him and relate to him a little more, it might be able to help both of us. “

Perfetti is also excited by the addition of free agent signing Mario Ferraro, who he played with — and won a gold medal with — at the World Championships in Latvia back in 2021. Ferraro, a defenceman, played last season with the Sharks.

“I actually have a couple of really good friends that played in San Jose as well, so they have nothing but great things to say as a guy and as a teammate. Obviously his play on the ice speaks for itself,” he said.

DAVID ZALUBOWSKI / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS FILES
Perfetti is eager to get an up-close look at new centre Viggo Bjorck, and Mario Ferraro, who he played with — at the World Championships in Latvia back in 2021
DAVID ZALUBOWSKI / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS FILES

Perfetti is eager to get an up-close look at new centre Viggo Bjorck, and Mario Ferraro, who he played with — at the World Championships in Latvia back in 2021

“But from all the stories and everything that everyone’s saying about what kind of guy he is off the ice, it sounds like he’s going to be a great fit for our locker room. Someone that we need and someone that’s going to come right in and be awesome to play with, hang out with.”

It’s not all sunshine and rainbows around the Jets this summer, however. There’s still the ongoing situation with goaltender Connor Hellebuyck — who was also at the Lowry wedding — and is the subject of ongoing trade talks given that the star of the gold-medal winning U.S Olympic team would like to be moved south of the border.

“We know as much as everyone else in the city of Winnipeg. We’re very anxious to know, too,” Perfetti said.

“We know how special he is as a player and a person. Obviously we want to be playing with him day in and day out. Whatever happens is obviously out of our control. There’s nothing that we can do about it. Try to not get caught up in it, enjoy summer, get better personally and whatever the roster is come October, that’s what it is. We’ve got to be ready to go.”

mike.mcintyre@winnipegfreepress.com

Mike McIntyre

Mike McIntyre
Reporter

Mike McIntyre is a sports reporter whose primary role is covering the Winnipeg Jets. After graduating from the Creative Communications program at Red River College in 1995, he spent two years gaining experience at the Winnipeg Sun before joining the Free Press in 1997, where he served on the crime and justice beat until 2016. Read more about Mike.

Every piece of reporting Mike produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Build the resources to help children with speech

Britney Morrish and Bonnie Bricker 6 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Imagine your daughter says her first word later than her friends do. You wait, hoping she will catch up. By age three, she still is not putting words together the way other kids her age are. Your doctor refers you to a speech-language pathologist. You expect a call within a few weeks.

Instead, you wait. Six months. A year. Two years.

By the time your daughter is finally seen, she is heading into kindergarten. She still struggles to tell her teacher she needs the bathroom. She still cannot explain when something hurts. She still cannot join in the games her classmates play, because those games need more words than she has.

As a parent, your anxiety grows, the frustration leading to sleepless nights worrying about how your child’s life will be impacted by this lack of support. The rest of your family and circle of friends is deeply affected by this potential crisis, they can see you struggling, you feel the stain of stigma attaching itself to your precious daughter. Where can you turn to help your child?

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Preview

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Matriarchal influences run deep at House of Ma Kitchen and Bar.

Executive chef Dom Merano took inspiration from his mom’s home cooking while developing the menu for the new Exchange District restaurant — specifically Cynthia Merano’s recipes for lumpia (Filipino spring rolls) and kare-kare (braised beef and peanut stew).

“It tastes like home,” Merano says of the dishes, adding that his mom “felt honoured to be able to share her cooking with people. She was actually here prior to opening helping me roll lumpia.”

Cynthia’s photo is hung among the “Wall of Mas” at the back of the restaurant, where the mothers and grandmothers of True Hospitality staff are given pride of place.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Preview

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Yesterday at 5:08 PM CDT

A long-awaited project will aim to add 115 new homes in Elmwood, with on-site social programs to support some of its more vulnerable residents.

Read
Yesterday at 5:08 PM CDT

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Preview

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT

Ninety-four complaints about teacher misconduct were flagged in the 15 months after Manitoba set up an independent office to regulate the profession.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT

Demolition ordered after fire in vacant city home

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

Demolition ordered after fire in vacant city home

Free Press staff 2 minute read 11:56 AM CDT

A Winnipeg firefighter was assessed by paramedics and an emergency demolition was ordered after a vacant house caught fire Thursday morning for the second time in less than three months.

The two-storey home, at Argyle Street and Disraeli Freeway, in South Point Douglas, was boarded up following a blaze that occurred June 1.

Firefighters returned to the house after flames were reported shortly after 6 a.m. Thursday. The house was engulfed when crews arrived.

“Due to heavy fire conditions, crews were unable to enter the structure,” a Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service spokesperson wrote in an email to the Free Press.

Read
11:56 AM CDT

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026