$1.3M gives MTYP starring role in green scene Theatre’s eco and accessibility upgrades to begin in June

The Manitoba Theatre for Young People will soon be greener and more accessible, thanks in large part to more than $1.3 million in federal funding, announced Tuesday afternoon at the organization’s headquarters at The Forks.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 20/02/2024 (915 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The Manitoba Theatre for Young People will soon be greener and more accessible, thanks in large part to more than $1.3 million in federal funding, announced Tuesday afternoon at the organization’s headquarters at The Forks.

On the strength of that funding, drawn from the federal government’s Green and Inclusive Community Buildings program, MTYP’s 25-year-old facility will undergo major upgrades, including a total replacement of its roof, windows and HVAC system, and an expansion of accessibility to studio, backstage and washroom spaces via barrier-free doorway operators.

TREVOR HAGAN / FREE PRESS FILES
                                The Manitoba Theatre for Young People at The Forks is planning on significant upgrades to its 25-year-old facility.

TREVOR HAGAN / FREE PRESS FILES

The Manitoba Theatre for Young People at The Forks is planning on significant upgrades to its 25-year-old facility.

That ambitious set of changes is expected to begin in June, with MTYP anticipating a yearlong renovation process.

“When our facility opened its doors more than 20 years ago, it was considered a leader in accessible design,” said Suzanne Munroe, the chair of the MTYP board of directors. “Since then, standards and understandings of accessibility have evolved, and we know that our facility needs to continue to evolve (too).”

Such changes, Munroe said, require governmental support. “I’m a fundraiser,” she said. “(So I know) $1.3 million is a lot of money.”

On hand to announce the funding was Liberal MP Dan Vandal, who represents St. Boniface and St. Vital on Parliament Hill.

“Accessible infrastructure is one of the foundations of a healthy and prosperous community,” said Vandal, who was making the announcement on behalf of Sean Fraser, the federal minister of housing, infrastructure and communities. “Modernizing infrastructure to make it sustainable and accessible improves productivity and ensures usefulness for generations to come.”

“When our facility opened its doors more than 20 years ago, it was considered a leader in accessible design … Since then, standards and understandings of accessibility have evolved, and we know that our facility needs to continue to evolve (too).”– Suzanne Munroe

While roof, HVAC and window replacements serve an obvious purpose in reducing long-term expenditures, those changes — along with the introduction of overhead LED lighting — are expected by MTYP to significantly decrease energy usage.

In total, the renovations are anticipated to reduce the facility’s annual energy consumption by 82 per cent, while lowering greenhouse gas emissions by 288 tonnes.

A portion of the newly announced funding will also go toward making the theatre’s quiet room — where guests can watch productions at a remove from the general audience — more accessible. Currently, there are three steps ahead of the entrance.

MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS FILES
                                Liberal MP Dan Vandal was on hand to announce the funding.

MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS FILES

Liberal MP Dan Vandal was on hand to announce the funding.

Vandal said he has a direct connection to the MTYP from the time his son attended theatre classes there during his adolescence. “I can attest that this is a facility that can change lives,” he said.

Asked whether he had any acting experience, Vandal, a former professional boxer, surprised the audience by saying that he had co-starred in a 1986 French-language production of Frenchie at Théâtre Cercle Molière. The longtime politician had retired from the ring at 26, before being called in to play an anglophone middleweight champion named Rick Logan.

“I played a villainous boxer going up against the local hero, Frenchie (played by Mario Chioini),” recalled Vandal. “I went up there for 12 or 16 nights, lost every fight. That was the end of my acting career.”

MTYP is currently midway through its run of The Problem with Pink, a co-production with Le Petit Théâtre de Sherbrooke, from Quebec, and La parenthèse-Christophe Garcia, from France. The show closes on Saturday.

ben.waldman@winnipegfreepress.com

Ben Waldman

Ben Waldman
Reporter

Ben Waldman is a National Newspaper Award-nominated reporter on the Arts & Life desk at the Free Press. Born and raised in Winnipeg, Ben completed three internships with the Free Press while earning his degree at Ryerson University’s (now Toronto Metropolitan University’s) School of Journalism before joining the newsroom full-time in 2019. Read more about Ben.

Every piece of reporting Ben produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

The trolls inside the Conservative tent

David McLaughlin 5 minute read Preview

The trolls inside the Conservative tent

David McLaughlin 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

The Conservative Party of Canada has a troll problem. And it’s coming from inside the tent.

Once, trolls existed only in imagination. They were figures of mythical proportion, big and small. They lived solitary lives under bridges, in caves, or forests. They were considered dim-witted and mean. Best avoided.

Today, they are real, unavoidable, and ubiquitous on social media. They are anything but solitary. There are tribes of them out there and tribal is how they think and post. As for dim-witted and mean, others can opine but they are uniformly mean and dismissive.

Mean to anyone who disagrees with their views. Dismissive of any view but their own. They distribute questionable, at best, facts and opinions grounded in hostility towards anything or anyone deemed disagreeable or heretical to their world view.

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Unresolved issues leave little space for you

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: My boyfriend — who is newly divorced — has two great children from his marriage. Although he and I have been together since Christmas, it’s obvious he loves his kids much more than he loves me! For instance, he lavishes affection on the kids when they’re over and completely leaves me out. I’m just the cook and dish-washer for the night.

When I brought this up recently, he said, “My girlfriends don’t last, because if I’m openly affectionate with them, the kids tell their mother we’re making out in front of them! They want all my affection and attention when I’m with them.” Then he added, “Stick around, and the kids will probably loosen up.”

Stick around? The explanation and his “advice” totally turned me off. What do you think?

— Not Second-Best to Anyone, St. Vital

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT

OTTAWA - A last-ditch effort to reach a new trade deal before a midnight tariff deadline failed Friday, as Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

The decision meant new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports to the U.S. took effect at 12:01 a.m., and Carney vowed Canada would retaliate with equal measures of its own.

"In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada's position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.," Carney said in a statement just before Trump's tariff deadline.

"However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians."

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read Preview

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:14 PM CDT

Manitoba government and business leaders are rallying behind Prime Minister Mark Carney’s plan to fight back, after a sudden collapse of trade talks between the U.S. and Canada sparked a new salvo of U.S. tariffs on some Canadian goods.

On Saturday, after Carney vowed to respond with retaliatory tariffs, Manitoba premier Wab Kinew said his government stood “100 per cent” behind the prime minister’s plan to respond to what Kinew called U.S. president Donald Trump’s “unjustified and immoral” tariffs.

“History will not be kind to Donald Trump, so we should never appease him,” Kinew said. “We should fight back, which is what Canada is doing today.”

Kinew met reporters for a brief news conference at the legislature on Saturday afternoon, about an hour after finishing a call with Carney and the other premiers. There was a “really strong sense of unity” on that call, Kinew said, and emphasized that he backs the federal decision to “walk away from what would have been a bad deal.”

Read
Yesterday at 5:14 PM CDT

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

Kinew’s message for PM: don’t back down

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Preview

Kinew’s message for PM: don’t back down

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Let it be known that when Canada’s provinces and alcohol industries needed a defender, Canada’s first First Nations provincial premier was their greatest warrior.

This is, admittedly, a provocative opening line — referencing historical and cultural intersections and relying on a stereotype or two.

It’s impossible, however, not to see how important the nearly Canada-wide provincial-led ban on the sale of U.S. alcohol is to Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew.

It’s due to his stand on national matters like these that he’s become very popular — according to polls, the most popular premier in Canada — and has been empowered to take on the mantle of one of the captains of “Team Canada” on economic, political and domestic issues.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026