‘He should’ve been re-vetted’: justice minister apologizes for McCrae appointment

Manitoba Justice Minister Kelvin Goertzen apologized Monday for the committee appointment of a former Tory cabinet minister who has publicly denied the harmful impact of residential schools.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 29/05/2023 (1179 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Manitoba Justice Minister Kelvin Goertzen apologized Monday for the committee appointment of a former Tory cabinet minister who has publicly denied the harmful impact of residential schools.

Goertzen blamed a “deficiency” in the vetting process.

Former attorney general Jim McCrae was appointed May 10 to the committee that helps select judicial officers (or masters) for the Court of King’s Bench. McCrae resigned from the position last week, after the Free Press raised questions about the appointment.

Former attorney general Jim McCrae was appointed May 10 to the committee that helps select judicial officers (or masters) for the Court of King’s Bench. McCrae resigned from the position last week, after the Free Press raised questions about the appointment. (Colin Corneau/Brandon Sun)

Former attorney general Jim McCrae was appointed May 10 to the committee that helps select judicial officers (or masters) for the Court of King’s Bench. McCrae resigned from the position last week, after the Free Press raised questions about the appointment. (Colin Corneau/Brandon Sun)

On Monday, Goertzen told reporters he didn’t know about McCrae’s opinion pieces minimizing residential school harms, and after serving on the social services appeal board for the last six years, McCrae was appointed to another provincial board without being properly vetted.

“He should’ve been re-vetted,” Goertzen said. “I suspect what happened was, because he had been on the board a long time, that didn’t happen. I think it did point out a deficiency, and it will be corrected.”

During question period, NDP critic for Indigenous reconciliation Eric Redhead asked Premier Heather Stefanson for an apology.

“Jim McCrae’s history of residential school denialism is well-documented,” said Redhead.

“He’s published multiple articles on the subject, including two in the last six months (that) downplay the terrible history of residential schools and claim the number of people who died in residential schools is inflated and also questions the truth behind the stories of survivors,” the MLA for Thompson said.

“Despite these racist writings, the PCs have appointed him to multiple important boards.”

“Jim McCrae’s history of residential school denialism is well-documented… Despite these racist writings, the PCs have appointed him to multiple important boards.”–Eric Redhead

Goertzen responded, saying the NDP critic indicated he knew about McCrae’s writings for a long time and the boards he served on “yet he didn’t raise these issues before.”

The justice minister went on to say McCrae’s views “are not representative of government,” and “I apologize personally for the harm and hurt they’ve caused.”

After question period, Goertzen said he’s been busy working on reconciliation projects, and again apologized for the error in appointing McCrae (a Tory MLA from 1986-99).

“l know for the Indigenous community this would have brought up a lot of hurt feelings and harm, and it has taken away from some initiatives like the Provincial Offences Act, which been sought for a long time from the Indigenous community,” said Goertzen.

On Monday, Justin Minister Kelvin Goertzen told reporters he didn’t know about McCrae’s opinion pieces minimizing residential school harms, and after serving on the social services appeal board for the last six years. (Mikaela MacKenzie / Winnipeg Free Press files)

On Monday, Justin Minister Kelvin Goertzen told reporters he didn’t know about McCrae’s opinion pieces minimizing residential school harms, and after serving on the social services appeal board for the last six years. (Mikaela MacKenzie / Winnipeg Free Press files)

If made law, the bill will enable First Nations to lay charges using tickets and to collect unpaid fines.

The MLA for Steinbach said he thinks others in government were also unaware of McCrae’s writings, which the minister said he hasn’t since read in detail.

“I don’t spend a lot of time diving into the internet looking into people who are denying or minimizing the harm of residential schools,” Goertzen told reporters after question period. “I spend a lot more time educating myself on the harms of residential schools.”

If that’s correct, then how could Goertzen have missed seeing McCrae’s writings, asked the chairman of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada.

“His denialism is well-known, goes back a long time, and if the minister was in fact educating himself on the internet about residential schools, this would have come up in his research,” former senator and judge Murray Sinclair said in an interview Monday.

“His denialism is well-known, goes back a long time, and if the minister was in fact educating himself on the internet about residential schools, this would have come up in his research,” former senator and judge Murray Sinclair said in an interview Monday. (Ruth Bonneville / Winnipeg Free Press files)

“His denialism is well-known, goes back a long time, and if the minister was in fact educating himself on the internet about residential schools, this would have come up in his research,” former senator and judge Murray Sinclair said in an interview Monday. (Ruth Bonneville / Winnipeg Free Press files)

Sinclair said he doesn’t believe McCrae’s latest appointment wasn’t vetted.

“I’ve worked in a minister’s office and I’ve worked in government, and I know they would not appoint a person to a position like this without there being a vetting process put in place,” Sinclair said.

“Somebody in every minister’s office is responsible for vetting appointments that the minister is going to have to approve and carry forward.”

An apology from the minister is not a sufficient amends, Sinclair said late Monday.

“They should appoint an independent appointments process, so that they’ve got people in place who can be trusted to do the proper research to ensure that people who are in positions of influencing people in society and directing society follow the proper ethical principles,” he said.

“That entity must be independent of government.”

carol.sanders@freepress.mb.ca

Carol Sanders

Carol Sanders
Legislature reporter

Carol Sanders is a reporter at the Free Press legislature bureau. The former general assignment reporter and copy editor joined the paper in 1997. Read more about Carol.

Every piece of reporting Carol produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

 

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:32 PM CDT

Not everyone enters medical school with a built-in study buddy.

Sisters Maya and Dana Jalal joined 135 of their classmates to don white coats and mark the beginning of their journey through the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine Wednesday morning.

Maya, 22, and Dana, 21, were accepted into medical school at the same time.

“Thankfully, we both got accepted in the same area, same time. So we decided we’d rather go together than apart,” Maya said. “It’ll be nice seeing different perspectives during our studies. We are siblings, but we each have our own perspectives, our own lived experiences.”

Read
Yesterday at 6:32 PM CDT

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 4 minute read Preview

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 4 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

This weekend, the Mole Mobile will set up shop at three Winnipeg Walmart locations. The mobile clinic will have certified dermatologists on site to screen suspicious-looking moles or lesions for skin cancer.

Read
6:00 AM CDT

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Preview

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Yesterday at 5:21 PM CDT

The province must take immediate action to increase low staffing levels that are putting Selkirk emergency room nurses at risk, a letter sent to the premier and health minister says.

The letter, sent by the Manitoba Nurses Union and signed by 35 ER nurses, detailed multiple recent incidents at the Selkirk Regional Health Centre. In one case, a nurse was stabbed with a pen by a patient who had been waiting 24 hours for care. In another case, a nurse was bitten by a patient.

“Nurses in that emergency department are extremely frustrated,” said Manitoba Nurses Union president Darlene Jackson. “This is not something that happened in the last month — or overnight — these are problems that have been growing.”

The five-page letter was sent Tuesday to Premier Wab Kinew, Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara and leaders of the Interlake-Eastern Regional Health Authority. It contained 10 requests to improve safety inside the emergency department, including establishing safer nurse-to-patient staffing levels, eliminating the practice of “single physician coverage” in the emergency department and implementing an institutional safety officer around the clock.

Read
Yesterday at 5:21 PM CDT

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT

A Somali refugee who was twice caught by RCMP assisting in the smuggling of desperate African migrants into Manitoba during the frigid winter — including while out on bail, months after he was first arrested with eight foreign nationals in his vehicle — has admitted he did so for money.

Read
Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Preview

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Updated: 4:07 PM CDT

Some customers in downtown Winnipeg are experiencing a Bell MTS service interruption after telecommunications infrastructure was damaged Tuesday.

Bell MTS said on social media that a third-party construction crew accidentally cut a copper cable, causing the outage.

Contractors drilled through multiple underground ducts, causing significant damage to several cables and requiring extensive repairs.

A small number of buildings, mainly concentrated on Fort Street, Garry Street and York Avenue, may be experiencing landline or internet issues because of the damage, said Bell spokesperson Elise von Scheel.

Read
Updated: 4:07 PM CDT