Accused in attack on Olive Garden server on probation Arson, meth use and mental illness part of court record

A 27-year-old Winnipeg man who was on probation has been accused of repeatedly stabbing an Olive Garden server in the neck in a random, unprovoked knife attack Thursday night.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 09/06/2023 (1168 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A 27-year-old Winnipeg man who was on probation has been accused of repeatedly stabbing an Olive Garden server in the neck in a random, unprovoked knife attack Thursday night.

Customers said they were startled by the 18-year-old woman’s screams while a diner attacked her at a table inside the busy restaurant, located at Reenders Drive and Lagimodiere Boulevard, shortly after 8 p.m.

“It looked like this man was punching her, but the way she was screaming, it seemed like more,” said a woman, who asked not to be named.

Police spokesman Const. Claude Chancy said the victim, who suffered severe injuries, was upgraded from unstable to stable condition in hospital.

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
                                An 18-year-old woman working at an Olive Garden in Transcona was rushed to hospital after she was stabbed in an unprovoked attack Thursday night.

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

An 18-year-old woman working at an Olive Garden in Transcona was rushed to hospital after she was stabbed in an unprovoked attack Thursday night.

The outcome could have been much worse, he noted, while acknowledging the trauma experienced by the victim and witnesses.

“We’ve got the young lady that was injured and could have been fatally injured, actually,” he said. “This will affect a lot of people for a long time.”

Chancy said a suspect was arrested nearby, in the 1500 block of Regent Avenue, after a brief struggle with officers, who recovered a weapon believed to have been used in the attack.

Police believe the assailant was carrying a knife when he entered Olive Garden.

The man, who did not know the victim, was alone and had been in the restaurant for about an hour before the attack, said Chancy.

“We know for a fact that it was unprovoked and random in nature… that’s what’s so alarming about it.”–WPS Const. Claude Chancy

“We know for a fact that it was unprovoked and random in nature,” he said at a news conference. “It is very much unprovoked, and that’s what’s so alarming about it.”

Chief Danny Smyth, who attended a Winnipeg Police Board meeting Friday, told the Free Press this kind of random violence in a place such as a restaurant is rare.

“It’s not unprecedented, but it’s rare,” he said.

The witness, who went to Olive Garden to celebrate a friend’s birthday, didn’t immediately process what was happening about three metres away from her table.

“I didn’t know she was stabbed until someone yelled, ‘she’s bleeding, we need a nurse,’” she said.

She said the server suffered about three stab wounds.

An employee shouted at the attacker and used two high chairs to distract him and protect others, the witness said.

“He definitely was a hero in that moment,” she said. “I just hope the (server) is OK.”

As the assailant fled, people applied napkins and towels to the victim’s wounds, while others called 911.

Two nurses, who were at the restaurant, provided emergency first aid until paramedics and police arrived a short time later, the witness said.

“They looked like they had seen a ghost — obviously, terrified and worried about their co-worker, especially because she was so young.”–Brenna Lamoureux, customer

Police thanked the Good Samaritans who “selflessly” helped the victim.

The witness said the victim’s distraught mother arrived and was comforted while paramedics treated her daughter, who was conscious and alert.

Customer Brenna Lamoureux and her friend comforted staff who witnessed the stabbing.

“They looked like they had seen a ghost — obviously, terrified and worried about their co-worker, especially because she was so young,” she said.

Customers were traumatized.

“It makes it hard to want to go out,” said the witness who attended the birthday dinner. “It does make me want to be more of a homebody.”

Witness Lindsay Reid was still in shock.

“The sound of (the server) screaming, the look of panic on people’s faces,” she said. “It’s haunting my head right now. I just really hope this girl is OK.”

Reid, who had dinner with a friend in a different dining area, said it appeared the attacker was chased out of the restaurant.

“I was in pure panic thinking, ‘is this guy going to come back? What about all the kids in the restaurant?’” she said. “There were a lot of families.”

“The sound of (the server) screaming, the look of panic on people’s faces… It’s haunting my head right now.”–Lindsay Reid, witness

Robert Alan Ingram, 27, of Winnipeg has been charged with aggravated assault, possession of a weapon, and failure to comply with a probation order.

He was remanded in custody during a brief video appearance in bail court Friday. His next court date is June 20.

In March 2021, Ingram was sentenced to 10 months in jail and 18 months of supervised probation after he admitted to setting fire to a vehicle in the parking lot of a Munroe Avenue apartment building, and a truck parked at King Construction on Main Street on May 18, 2020.

Police at the time were investigating a string of arsons that occurred that long weekend.

“Over the last little while, he has unfortunately developed a little bit of a meth addiction,” defence lawyer Saheel Zaman told provincial court Judge Tim Preston. “There has been some struggle with mental health challenges in the past, as well.”

As part of his probation order, Preston ordered that Ingram not possess any weapons or incendiary devices.

Ingram was arrested again June 28, 2022, after police found him at his apartment in possession of a lighter, which was a breach of his probation order.

Police were called after Ingram’s mother told his probation officer that he had built a meth lab in his apartment, court heard at a Nov. 15, 2022, sentencing hearing.

“They did not find a meth lab, but they did find components that are used in making meth,” Crown attorney Vuk Mitrovic told provincial court Judge Lindy Choy.

Defence lawyer Jesse Blackman said Ingram admitted to meth use in the past but had been sober for a “significant” period of time.

“Over the last little while, he has unfortunately developed a little bit of a meth addiction.”–Saheel Zaman, defence lawyer

“He has a complicated dynamic with respect to his family and allegations of drugs and that he has mental health conditions,” Blackman said. “If you ask his mom or, in some circumstances, probation, they are concerned he is using meth, that he is schizophrenic, that he poses a risk to himself and others.”

Choy sentenced Ingram to 30 days in jail and 18 months of supervised probation, under the same conditions prohibiting him from possessing weapons or incendiary devices.

Ingram remained in custody in connection to an unrelated weapon offence that was ultimately stayed and pleaded guilty to another count of possessing a weapon, a work tool, before being released on Jan. 12

The Olive Garden location on Reenders reopened Friday morning.

An employee said the atmosphere among staff was quiet, with the victim on everyone’s mind.

“I just hope everybody makes it out good and recovers,” said the worker, who doesn’t know the server who was attacked.

Lauren Bowes, a spokeswoman for Orlando, Fla.-based Olive Garden, said the employee is expected to make a full recovery.

“Our focus is on supporting our injured team member and all team members in the restaurant,” she wrote in an email. “We will continue to assist local authorities with their investigation.”

Workplace Safety and Health has contacted the employer and will be following up, said a spokesman for the provincial department.

With files from Joyanne Pursaga

chris.kitching@freepress.mb.ca

dean.pritchard@freepress.mb.ca

Chris Kitching

Chris Kitching
Reporter

As a general assignment reporter, Chris covers a little bit of everything for the Free Press.

Dean Pritchard

Dean Pritchard
Courts reporter

Dean Pritchard is courts reporter for the Free Press. He has covered the justice system since 1999, working for the Brandon Sun and Winnipeg Sun before joining the Free Press in 2019.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Friday, June 9, 2023 5:05 PM CDT: Updates copy with additional information, sources and quotes.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Don’t buy U.S. booze if, when it’s back on Liquor Mart shelves: Kinew

Chris Kitching 3 minute read Preview

Don’t buy U.S. booze if, when it’s back on Liquor Mart shelves: Kinew

Chris Kitching 3 minute read 2:16 PM CDT

Manitoba hasn’t agreed to put American liquor back on shelves despite Prime Minister Mark Carney’s request while his government finalizes a trade deal with the U.S. to stop new tariffs.

Read
2:16 PM CDT

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: 11:34 AM CDT

WASHINGTON - Canada-U.S. Minister Dominic LeBlanc smiled widely beside U.S. President Donald Trump's trade czar in Washington on Wednesday as they touted a draft deal which appears to have averted a new round of punishing tariffs on Canada.

United States Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said he feels confident the agreement will protect American workers and jobs while strengthening the North American market, making the continent a manufacturing and energy powerhouse.

"We certainly, I think, have eliminated some of the irritants that we've had over the past year," he said, "We also are taking a strong foot forward."

Prime Minister Mark Carney said in a statement that the new deal reinforces and builds on Canada's existing trade advantages with the U.S.

Read
Updated: 11:34 AM CDT

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Preview

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Updated: 4:07 PM CDT

Some customers in downtown Winnipeg are experiencing a Bell MTS service interruption after telecommunications infrastructure was damaged Tuesday.

Bell MTS said on social media that a third-party construction crew accidentally cut a copper cable, causing the outage.

Contractors drilled through multiple underground ducts, causing significant damage to several cables and requiring extensive repairs.

A small number of buildings, mainly concentrated on Fort Street, Garry Street and York Avenue, may be experiencing landline or internet issues because of the damage, said Bell spokesperson Elise von Scheel.

Read
Updated: 4:07 PM CDT

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:32 PM CDT

Not everyone enters medical school with a built-in study buddy.

Sisters Maya and Dana Jalal joined 135 of their classmates to don white coats and mark the beginning of their journey through the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine Wednesday morning.

Maya, 22, and Dana, 21, were accepted into medical school at the same time.

“Thankfully, we both got accepted in the same area, same time. So we decided we’d rather go together than apart,” Maya said. “It’ll be nice seeing different perspectives during our studies. We are siblings, but we each have our own perspectives, our own lived experiences.”

Read
Yesterday at 6:32 PM CDT

Accused in attack on Olive Garden server on probation

Chris Kitching and Dean Pritchard 7 minute read Preview

Accused in attack on Olive Garden server on probation

Chris Kitching and Dean Pritchard 7 minute read Friday, Jun. 9, 2023

A 27-year-old Winnipeg man who was on probation has been accused of repeatedly stabbing an Olive Garden server in the neck in a random, unprovoked knife attack Thursday night.

Customers said they were startled by the 18-year-old woman’s screams while a diner attacked her at a table inside the busy restaurant, located at Reenders Drive and Lagimodiere Boulevard, shortly after 8 p.m.

“It looked like this man was punching her, but the way she was screaming, it seemed like more,” said a woman, who asked not to be named.

Police spokesman Const. Claude Chancy said the victim, who suffered severe injuries, was upgraded from unstable to stable condition in hospital.

Read
Friday, Jun. 9, 2023