Coyote euthanized after attacks on children

An adult coyote has been located and “humanely” euthanized after two children were attacked less than a week apart in a north Winnipeg neighbourhood, the province announced Tuesday.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 04/07/2023 (1140 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

An adult coyote has been located and “humanely” euthanized after two children were attacked less than a week apart in a north Winnipeg neighbourhood, the province announced Tuesday.

The animal has been sent for testing, according to a news release, which did not state how the animal was captured Monday nor how it was euthanized.

The province did not say if the coyote was believed to be responsible for any of the attacks.

A nine-year-old boy was attacked while he was walking with his older sister near Popko Crescent and Knowles on June 24.

A four-year-old child was attacked in the Headmaster Row area June 30. The child has since been released from hospital.

The incidents are believed to be Manitoba’s first documented coyote attacks on humans.

 

Traps had been set up near Knowles Avenue and Gateway Road, just south of the Perimeter Highway, while the search focused on dense bush close to homes and a church.

A coyote den was believed to be in the area and residents had recently spotted pups.

Nikki Slater, who spotted a coyote on Headmaster Row, just west of Lagimodiere Boulevard, on the day of the second attack, was happy to hear a coyote had been located.

“However, I’m on the fence as to whether it should have been euthanized,” she said. “I mean, I understand why it needed to happen, as I have a child I worry about, but I was hoping that maybe they would have relocated the coyote instead.

“But it does offer peace of mind that maybe the one that was attacking children is no longer around.”

Steve Halabura, who was approached by a coyote while out for a walk last month, said the province had to do something as a result of the attacks.

“It’s about time they did something about it,” said Halabura, who lives near the scene of the second attack.

Traps had been set up near Knowles Avenue and Gateway Road, just south of the Perimeter Highway, while the search focused on dense bush close to homes and a church. (John Woods / Free Press files)

Traps had been set up near Knowles Avenue and Gateway Road, just south of the Perimeter Highway, while the search focused on dense bush close to homes and a church. (John Woods / Free Press files)

The province hired a wildlife trapper Friday before the second mauling in North Kildonan, according to the Manitoba Trappers Association.

Manitoba Conservation officers continue to patrol the area and are working with a trapper to identify and remove any other aggressive coyotes that pose a threat, the province said.

“While coyote attacks are extremely rare, the province wants to take every precaution to protect the public and prevent any further incidents,” the news release stated. “The public is advised to take extra precautions, especially with young children and small pets.”

“Thank you to our conservation officers for their diligent work in protecting our neighbourhoods,” Natural Resources Minister Greg Nesbitt said in a statement. “As patrols continue in the North Kildonan area to ensure public safety, I urge everyone to remain vigilant, exercise caution, and practice responsible behaviour when encountering wildlife.”

The victim of the first attack received 24 stitches or staples to close wounds on the back of his head, his mother told the Free Press last week. He also had severe puncture wounds to his legs.

“(That) tells me that even if my kids hazed him it wouldn’t have made a difference.”–Mother

The siblings were waiting for the coyote to move past them when it “stared them down and then lunged for them,” their mother said.

The boy was mauled while the children attempted to flee.

After hearing screams, a neighbour grabbed a shovel and chased the coyote away.

Despite being hit off her son with a shovel, the animal hung around and waited to be chased off further, the mother said.

“(That) tells me that even if my kids hazed him it wouldn’t have made a difference,” she added, referring to the act of scaring a coyote away.

Hazing often involves loud yelling or noises, or making oneself appear larger.

Multiple researchers had said this is peak season for conflict between coyotes and humans because pups are emerging from dens.

Adult coyotes could become defensive while protecting their offspring from humans or animals, the researchers said.

People should make noise, make themselves appear large and refrain from running if they see a coyote because it could incite a chase, the province said.

If possible, stay in groups.

Manitoba Conservation officers continue to patrol the area and are working with a trapper to identify and remove any other aggressive coyotes that pose a threat, the province said. (Mike Thiessen / Free Press files)
Manitoba Conservation officers continue to patrol the area and are working with a trapper to identify and remove any other aggressive coyotes that pose a threat, the province said. (Mike Thiessen / Free Press files)

People who live in the area of the attacks were advised to watch their children closely, feed pets indoors, keep animals on a leash and reduce attractants, including food, food waste or pet waste in yards.

Never feed wildlife, the province said.

It said Manitobans should store garbage in a secure building or container, compost food items where they are inaccessible to wildlife, and clean up spilled bird seed or fallen fruit to avoid attracting coyotes or animals they prey on.

Coyotes that have been fed by people will become comfortable approaching people and increasingly aggressive, the news release stated.

chris.kitching@freepress.mb.ca

Twitter: @chriskitching

Chris Kitching

Chris Kitching
Reporter

Chris Kitching is a general assignment reporter at the Free Press. He began his newspaper career in 2001, with stops in Winnipeg, Toronto and London, England, along the way. After returning to Winnipeg, he joined the Free Press in 2021, and now covers a little bit of everything for the newspaper. Read more about Chris.

Every piece of reporting Chris produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Tuesday, July 4, 2023 5:20 PM CDT: Adds comment from Natural Resources Minister Greg Nesbitt.

Updated on Tuesday, July 4, 2023 5:51 PM CDT: Adds reaction.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Where paths cross

Carina Blumgrund 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Every so often, an ordinary moment turns out to be about something else entirely.

I watched two women meet outside a grocery store recently. Neither seemed to know the other. One had dropped a bag, oranges rolling across the wet pavement, and the other bent down without a word to help gather them. It took maybe 40 seconds. They exchanged a few sentences I couldn’t hear, laughed once, and went their separate ways. I don’t think either of them thought about it again.

I did, though. I kept thinking about how neither woman had planned to meet the other that morning. Their separate mornings happened to touch for less than a minute, and then continued on, changed by some small amount neither could probably name.

For a long time, when I thought about what brings people together, bridges were the image that came to mind. Bridges connect two known sides. They’re built on purpose, toward a destination already identified. I still believe in that kind of work. Deliberate bridges, built with intention toward a place meant to be reached, matter enormously.

Letters, Aug. 17

7 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Be statesmanlike, Pierre

Re: Canadians have moved on, Poilievre hasn’t (Aug. 7); Poilievre’s trade bluster a desperate bid for attention (Aug. 12)

If I were Pierre Poilievre, I wouldn’t be just thinking about becoming the next prime minister. I’d be thinking about legacy in larger terms — meaning how would I ultimately want to be remembered.

And I would want to be remembered as the politician who, even if not having achieved the ultimate goal of becoming prime minister, left the political world as a respected statesman. As such, with respect to trade and the relationship with the United States, I would be guided by the following maxim found in Tom Brodbeck’s Aug. 12 column: The goal should be to maximize Canada’s leverage while reducing its vulnerability.

‘You vote with your bike’: cyclists celebrate freedoms, call for increased safety

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Preview

‘You vote with your bike’: cyclists celebrate freedoms, call for increased safety

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 4:20 PM CDT

Patty Wiens got dressed up in her sparkly, hot pink cowboy boots to pedal and talk politics with more than 100 other people on Sunday.

The founder of Winnipeg’s Fancy Women Bike Ride called on attendees of the 2026 event to ask candidates in the upcoming civic election — a half-dozen of whom were in attendance — about their active transportation platforms.

“We’re here today, in an election year, to remind you that you vote with your bike,” Wiens told a crowd of nearly 120 cyclists gathered on the legislature grounds for the group ride.

“When (city council) candidates come to your door and ask what’s important to you, you’re going to say, ‘I want to ride my bike safely in the city. What are you going to do about it?’”

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 4:20 PM CDT

Cross-border abduction under investigation

1 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 12:40 PM CDT

A cross-border kidnapping from Winnipeg to Minnesota is under investigation, according to North Dakota state patrol.

A 31-year-old Manitoba man abducted a 37-year-old Manitoba man in Winnipeg and drove across the border into North Dakota, the North Dakota State Highway Patrol said in a Facebook post Sunday. The state patrol said it became aware of the possible abduction Sunday morning and worked with local, federal and Canadian law enforcement to investigate.

Authorities identified a suspect vehicle using cameras at multiple locations and used cell-phone location information and licence-plate reader technology to find the vehicle in Alexandria, Minnesota.

"The victim was able to break free from the suspect and run into a nearby store. The suspect was taken into custody shortly afterward by the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office and Alexandria Police Department. The victim was recovered safely," the North Dakota state patrol's post reads.

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Preview

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

A Winnipeg foster mother has admitted to violently assaulting her ill foster daughter and leaving her paralyzed after the girl resisted the woman’s efforts to provide her with medication, a court has heard.

Marilyn Keno, 26, pleaded guilty Friday to one count of aggravated assault.

Keno remains in custody and will be sentenced at a later date following the completion of a court-ordered pre-sentence report.

The maximum sentence for aggravated assault is 14 years in prison. Crown attorney Alanna Littman and defence lawyer Jeremy Kostiuk did not disclose what sentences they will be recommending.

Read
Friday, Aug. 14, 2026