‘Justice has prevailed’: Métis sign $120-M deal with Hydro

Manitoba Hydro has signed a $120-million agreement with the Manitoba Métis Federation to lock in support for existing and future developments, reviving a tentative agreement cancelled five years ago and described as “hush money” by former premier Brian Pallister.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 03/08/2023 (1110 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Manitoba Hydro has signed a $120-million agreement with the Manitoba Métis Federation to lock in support for existing and future developments, reviving a tentative agreement cancelled five years ago and described as “hush money” by former premier Brian Pallister.

The deal — formally described as a “revitalization agreement” — spans 50 years and addresses adverse effects of the Crown corporation’s existing hydroelectric developments and operations on the rights of the Red River Métis, under Section 35 of the Constitution Act.

MMF and Manitoba Hydro had been quietly negotiating the deal for about a year before finally inking the agreement on Thursday, federation president David Chartrand said.

“It’s a good day for Manitoba. It’s a good day for the Métis, and it’s a good day for everyone,” Chartrand said in an interview Thursday.

MMF and Manitoba Hydro had been quietly negotiating the deal for about a year before finally inking the agreement on Thursday, federation president David Chartrand said. (Winnipeg Free Press files)

MMF and Manitoba Hydro had been quietly negotiating the deal for about a year before finally inking the agreement on Thursday, federation president David Chartrand said. (Winnipeg Free Press files)

It marks the end to a lengthy political and legal saga in which Manitoba Hydro’s board of directors resigned en masse after Pallister directed the public utility to cancel a tentative $67.5-million, 50-year compensation package in March 2018.

At the time, the former premier called the deal “hush money” to gain support for a transmission line to Minnesota, and described the Métis federation as a special interest group.

The arrangement would have provided the MMF with annual payments of $1.5 million a year for 20 years and a $37.5-million lump sum payment, to be placed in a trust fund, among other benefits.

In exchange, the MMF would withdraw opposition to the transmission line and agree to support Hydro applications for the duration of the agreement.

“It’s a good day for Manitoba. It’s a good day for the Métis, and it’s a good day for everyone.”–David Chartrand

Sandy Riley, who was board chair of Manitoba Hydro at the time, described the agreement as a good deal for Manitoba. Currently, Riley is Premier Heather Stefanson’s energy adviser.

In response to Pallister’s dumping of the deal, the MMF launched a legal battle that argued the drafted deal was the best way to avoid going to court to define Métis land rights in the Red River Valley, especially pertaining to future projects around Winnipeg.

A Court of Queen’s Bench ruling found the cabinet directive cancelling the deal was lawful, which the Court of Appeal upheld. In March 2022, the Supreme Court of Canada denied the MMF’s application to hear its appeal on the matter.

The new agreement between MMF and Hydro also establishes processes for working together on a range of issues related to the utility’s developments and operations, and includes commitments to establish a long-term revitalization fund, and a defined forum for ongoing dialogue.

Chartrand complimented Stefanson for “clearing the runway” for Manitoba Hydro to conclude the agreement after repeated, high-profile conflicts with her predecessor.

“We feel justice has prevailed,” Chartrand said.

“We feel justice has prevailed.”–David Chartrand

Details of the new agreement were not made public Thursday, but Chartrand said it addresses many issues — including past disputes over the Manitoba-Minnesota Transmission Line — and ensures the MMF will support Manitoba Hydro projects “on the premise that there’s no adverse effects to our people.”

“If it does, then we’ll come back to the table and we discuss our positions, but it doesn’t change the agreement,” he said. “Hydro was definitely open to being fair and equitable.”

In a release, Manitoba Hydro president Jay Grewal called the agreement an “important milestone.”

“While efforts to strengthen our relationships have been ongoing for some time, the signing of the “revitalization agreement” formally acknowledges our commitment to address the legacy of our historic projects with the Red River Métis,” Grewal said. “It’s a vital step forward in our long-term relationship with the MMF.”

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES
                                In a release, Manitoba Hydro president Jay Grewal called the agreement an “important milestone.”

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES

In a release, Manitoba Hydro president Jay Grewal called the agreement an “important milestone.”

Deputy Premier Cliff Cullen said he was glad to hear the two parties came to an agreement. The Spruce Woods MLA was Crown services minister in March 2018, when the initial tentative agreement was axed.

“We will always support economic reconciliation,” said Cullen, the minister responsible for Manitoba Hydro.

Manitoba Liberal Leader Dougald Lamont said the agreement appears to be a positive development for the MMF, but questioned whether it is substantially different from the tentative agreement tossed out by the Pallister administration.

“If so, then this is five years lost for Métis Manitobans — and First Nation communities across Manitoba are still waiting after decades of the near-total destruction of their communities and means of self-supporting by Hydro,” Lamont said.

“The Manitoba government allowed Hydro to operate on an interim licence for 50 years, and South Indian Lake, Cross Lake, Sagkeeng and many others are still waiting. They shouldn’t be.”

The Manitoba NDP was not immediately available to comment Thursday.

Chartrand said the MMF will purchase a sports camp to support the development of young Métis athletes as the first expense to be funded via the agreement.

“It will change people’s lives,” he said.

danielle.dasilva@freepress.mb.ca

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Men’s recovery home dedicated to ‘homeless hero’ Faron Hall’s memory

Scott Billeck 14 minute read Preview

Men’s recovery home dedicated to ‘homeless hero’ Faron Hall’s memory

Scott Billeck 14 minute read Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

Faron Hall never got the chance to begin recovery. Once heralded as Winnipeg’s “homeless hero” after twice plunging into the Red River to save strangers from drowning, Hall told St. Boniface Street Links executive director Marion Willis shortly before his death in 2014 that he wanted help for his alcoholism.

Read
Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

RCMP searching for missing woman from Split Lake

1 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Thompson RCMP are asking for help from the public to find a 37-year-old woman who has not been heard from since late July.

Melanie Beardy, from Split Lake First Nation, was last in contact on July 26, said an RCMP news release Saturday. Beardy, who was in Thompson, was reported missing last Sunday and RCMP said both police and her family are worried for her well-being.

Attempts to find Beardy have been unsuccessful, said RCMP.

She’s described as 5’4 with a large build and long, black hair usually worn in a ponytail, said Mounties. She has a tattoo on her chest that reads: “Elvis,” and has a tattoo of a dreamcatcher on her left forearm.

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read Preview

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

MOON ALERT: There are no restrictions to shopping or important decisions today. The moon is in Libra.

ARIES (March 21-April 19)

The day is a mixed bag. For the most part, it’s romantic, friendly, congenial and a great time to socialize with others and enjoy playful activities with kids. Nevertheless, you might meet a real sourpuss or someone who is a wet blanket. Keep things light!

TAURUS (April 20-May 20)

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Sea Bears finish on top

Joshua Frey-Sam 6 minute read Preview

Sea Bears finish on top

Joshua Frey-Sam 6 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Beauty. Bliss. Ecstasy.

That is how Aug. 15, 2026 will be remembered in Winnipeg.

What was once a pipe dream in the city’s hoops community became an epic reality on Saturday, when Simon Hildebrandt, who grew up playing on the courts of this very town, made good on a three-pointer from the wing to crown the Winnipeg Sea Bears Canadian Elite Basketball League champions.

A storybook ending to a 98-84 victory over the Brampton Honey Badgers sent a CEBL attendance record of 12,519 fans into pandemonium at Canada Life Centre and capped a Finals run for the ages — one that was fraught with injury, impromptu player exits and unprecedented circumstances.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

News briefs for Sunday, August 16, 2026

1 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 12:40 PM CDT

A collection of breaking news briefs filed on Sunday, August 16, 2026

Cross-border abduction under investigation

12:36 PM

A cross-border kidnapping from Winnipeg to Minnesota is under investigation, according to North Dakota state patrol.

West Kildonan Industrial residents call for speed bumps after child hit by truck

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Preview

West Kildonan Industrial residents call for speed bumps after child hit by truck

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Residents in the West Kildonan Industrial neighbourhood are calling on the city to install speed bumps in their area after a child was hit and dragged by a vehicle Thursday.

Katelyn Bemister lives near the area where the child — who was hospitalized as a result of the incident and has been upgraded to stable condition — was struck. She says people frequently speed in the area.

“They’re going really fast, and they’re not really paying attention at all to the pedestrians in the area,” says Bemister.

In video supplied to the Free Press by a resident, the child can be seen riding a bike down a sidewalk along the 500 block of North Point Boulevard.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026