No talk of the Winnipeg Jets relocating: Bettman ‘If we weren’t invested in the Jets being here long term, the Jets wouldn’t have been here to begin with’

Gary Bettman was not here to sound the alarm or raise any red flags. Nor did the NHL commissioner make his way to Winnipeg on Tuesday morning to make a bunch of threats, to point fingers or to play the role of a villain.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 27/02/2024 (905 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Gary Bettman was not here to sound the alarm or raise any red flags. Nor did the NHL commissioner make his way to Winnipeg on Tuesday morning to make a bunch of threats, to point fingers or to play the role of a villain.

Before meeting with members of the media in the afternoon, Bettman sat down for a one-on-one chat with the Free Press and one of the main topics of conversation was the long-term health of the Winnipeg Jets franchise.

Thanks to the role he played in facilitating the Atlanta Thrashers sale to Mark Chipman and its rebirth as the Winnipeg Jets in 2011, Bettman has been viewed mostly in a positive light in the community. But memories of the Jets leaving for Arizona in 1996 mean there is an underlying fear among a segment of the population of history repeating itself.

Bettman was quick to shoot down a question about the potential threat of relocation.

“No. Not at all. It’s never been discussed, it’s never been considered,” Bettman said during a conversation that lasted nearly 12 minutes. “It’s talk like that, that is so destructive and unfair to everything that this organization and ownership has stood for.”

GRAHAM HUGHES / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES
                                Before meeting with members of the media in the afternoon, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman sat down for a one-on-one chat with the Free Press.

GRAHAM HUGHES / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES

Before meeting with members of the media in the afternoon, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman sat down for a one-on-one chat with the Free Press.

Some folks have gone so far as to suggest that Bettman doesn’t care about what happens with the Jets over the long term, intimating he would prefer to replace the small market with a larger U.S. city that could boost TV ratings and raise revenues.

“If we weren’t invested in the Jets being here long term, the Jets wouldn’t have been here to begin with. That’s just a silly narrative,” said Bettman.

“This is a franchise in a place where hockey matters, where the Jets matter and the fact that there may be a blip on attendance for a whole variety of factors, the factors don’t matter. It’s how we move forward. And I believe in the strength of this market as an NHL market and I think it will correct itself — and I know that the Jets are working hard to make that a reality.”

Those declining attendance numbers are an issue that has generated headlines in this market and others. After 332 consecutive sellouts, the Jets found themselves operating at 87.4 per cent capacity heading into Tuesday’s game with the St. Louis Blues, averaging 13,140 fans per game, though those numbers have increased since the team returned from the Christmas break.

“I don’t think it’s a league-level concern. As I said in 2011, it’s important for this building to be full and people can focus on a bunch of reasons why it’s not,” said Bettman, noting his Winnipeg visit was part of his annual tour around the 32 markets.

“I know that the organization and ownership is committed to making sure that this franchise is strong and competitive and I believe that the community will step up.”

When it was relayed to him that some folks in the community are curious why the Jets are under the spotlight when the Coyotes are in the second season of playing in a college rink on the campus of Arizona State University, Bettman was blunt.

“Nobody is picking on you. Stating the reality that for the health and well-being and competitive success of a franchise that the team needs a full building isn’t picking on anybody, it’s stating an obvious fact,” said Bettman.

“Nobody is making any threats. It’s really more about we’re having a candid conversation about what needs to evolve to help make this franchise succeed.”

“If we weren’t invested in the Jets being here long term, the Jets wouldn’t have been here to begin with. That’s just a silly narrative.”–NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman

One of the issues the Jets are working on is trying to further appeal to the business community, which currently represents only about 15 per cent of a season ticket base that has dropped from 13,000 to around 9,500.

“The answer is it will be a work in progress,” said Bettman, who met with some business leaders and held a fireside chat with season-ticket holders on Tuesday.

“The initial creation of the season ticket base, which was done in 17 minutes, worked well for 10 years but there’s a reason why corporate support is important for any franchise. What’s happening is that over the last decade, there’s a need for the season ticket base to readjust. Groups that were together, people got old, moved away. I know the organization is working really hard to help the fan base adjust to the ticket needs that are more suited individually.

“This is a place where the Jets can and will be strong. But for the long term, to be competitive and successful and healthy, it needs to be a collaborative effort.”

“This is a place where the Jets can and will be strong. But for the long term, to be competitive and successful and healthy, it needs to be a collaborative effort.”–Gary Bettman

Bettman noted that the Jets making identical seven-year contract extensions to homegrown stars Mark Scheifele and Connor Hellebuyck in October was the latest example of the commitment the organization has made.

“It tells you that this is a place that, in terms of quality of life, quality of organization, quality of ownership, quality of team, this is a place where players want to be,” said Bettman, who also mentioned the arena improvements and downtown revitalization efforts.

“I don’t think anybody should doubt their commitment. What people should focus on is what’s important for the long term health and success of the franchise. The stronger the franchise is, the more competitive it will be and an element of strength is how well the building gets filled.”

As for the road forward for the Jets, Bettman doubled down on his belief.

TREVOR HAGAN / FREE PRESS FILES
                                Thanks to the role he played in facilitating the Atlanta Thrashers sale to Mark Chipman (left) and its rebirth as the Winnipeg Jets in 2011, Gary Bettman has been viewed mostly in a positive light in the community.

TREVOR HAGAN / FREE PRESS FILES

Thanks to the role he played in facilitating the Atlanta Thrashers sale to Mark Chipman (left) and its rebirth as the Winnipeg Jets in 2011, Gary Bettman has been viewed mostly in a positive light in the community.

“I think every market is different and everybody gets to this point in different ways and for different reasons. But when you look at the club’s success, particularly on the ice this season, and you look at the fact that this season will be the sixth out of the last seven season where they made the playoffs. When you look at the commitment that they made to their free agents last summer, all of the vital signs are good. So, what needs to happen is that hopefully the community and the fan base will recognize that for this to be the success we all know it can be for the long haul, it’s a joint effort.

“The team doesn’t sit in a vacuum. It’s not that the fans are in one place and the team is in another place. This works — and will work — successfully going forward if everybody is in this together.”

ken.wiebe@freepress.mb.ca

X: @WiebesWorld

 

Ken Wiebe

Ken Wiebe
Reporter

Ken Wiebe is a sports reporter for the Free Press, with an emphasis on the Winnipeg Jets. He has covered hockey and provided analysis in this market since 2000 for the Winnipeg Sun, The Athletic, Sportsnet.ca and TSN. Ken was a summer intern at the Free Press in 1999 and returned to the Free Press in a full-time capacity in September of 2023. Read more about Ken.

Every piece of reporting Ken produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

An internal investigation by Manitoba’s Families Department is nearly complete in the case of a six-year-old girl who is paralyzed after being assaulted by her foster mother in Winnipeg.

The review by child-welfare officials is intended to prevent similar incidents, but it’s unlikely the public will learn the findings or recommendations.

“We’re working closely with the (child and family services) authority to make sure that every recommendation is taken seriously and implemented,” Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine said Monday.

“They’re important (investigations) because they help us identify what went wrong so we can make those changes to ensure something like this tragedy never happens again.”

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

IIU report concludes WPS officer’s actions reasonable in non-lethal 2024 shooting

Free Press staff 3 minute read Preview

IIU report concludes WPS officer’s actions reasonable in non-lethal 2024 shooting

Free Press staff 3 minute read 1:45 PM CDT

An armed and barricaded suspect told a Facebook live video stream he “would like to be shot to death” before a Winnipeg police officer shot him with three non-lethal beanbag rounds.

The Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba, a civilian police watchdog, on Wednesday released its final report into the Feb. 26, 2024 incident on Worthington Avenue in St. Vital.

The IIU concluded in September 2024 the officer’s actions were reasonable, but the 11-page report was on hold until the suspect’s charges were dealt with in court.

“Given the totality of the circumstances, the outcome of this incident could have ended in a much more serious manner,” then-IIU civilian director Roxanne Gagné wrote. She did not recommend criminal charges against the officer.

Read
1:45 PM CDT

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Preview

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read 5:21 PM CDT

The province must take immediate action to increase low staffing levels that are putting Selkirk emergency room nurses at risk, a letter sent to the premier and health minister says.

The letter, sent by the Manitoba Nurses Union and signed by 35 ER nurses, detailed multiple recent incidents at the Selkirk Regional Health Centre. In one case, a nurse was stabbed with a pen by a patient who had been waiting 24 hours for care. In another case, a nurse was bitten by a patient.

“Nurses in that emergency department are extremely frustrated,” said Manitoba Nurses Union president Darlene Jackson. “This is not something that happened in the last month — or overnight — these are problems that have been growing.”

The five-page letter was sent Tuesday to Premier Wab Kinew, Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara and leaders of the Interlake-Eastern Regional Health Authority. It contained 10 requests to improve safety inside the emergency department, including establishing safer nurse-to-patient staffing levels, eliminating the practice of “single physician coverage” in the emergency department and implementing an institutional safety officer around the clock.

Read
5:21 PM CDT

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Two men in electric ankle bracelets who were being monitored by justice officials have been accused in a two-month spree of commercial break-ins, vehicle thefts and other property crimes.

City police have charged one of the suspects and are searching for the second.

About $140,000 worth of property, including trailers, lawn equipment, motorcycles and bicycles, was reported stolen in 13 incidents in Winnipeg and the Rural Municipality of Headingley between April 20 and June 28, the Winnipeg Police Service said.

Both suspects were wearing electronic monitoring bracelets during that time.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: 5:55 PM CDT

Canada-U.S. Minister Dominic LeBlanc smiled widely beside U.S. President Donald Trump's trade czar in Washington on Wednesday as they touted a draft deal which appears to have averted a new round of punishing tariffs on Canada.

Read
Updated: 5:55 PM CDT

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT