Reduced budget for Manitoba highways not a cut: minister

The Manitoba government is slashing the capital budget for highway infrastructure by about $57 million this year, but insists it’s not a cut and ongoing projects will not be disrupted.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 09/04/2024 (863 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The Manitoba government is slashing the capital budget for highway infrastructure by about $57 million this year, but insists it’s not a cut and ongoing projects will not be disrupted.

The Opposition Tories have repeatedly targeted the budget for provincial roads and highways since it was released April 2, while suggesting projects could be delayed or cancelled.

“Absolutely not,” Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Lisa Naylor told the Free Press Tuesday. “We will spend every dollar. We will be transparent — that is the difference.”

The 2024 budget allocated $500 million for highway infrastructure, down from $557 million under the Tories in the last fiscal year.

MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS FILES
“Last year, the (Tory) government committed $500 million in highway infrastructure. We are doing the same,” Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Lisa Naylor said.

MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS FILES

“Last year, the (Tory) government committed $500 million in highway infrastructure. We are doing the same,” Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Lisa Naylor said.

Naylor claimed it’s not an actual cut. She said the Progressive Conservatives underspent by millions in the 2023-24 fiscal year, and made cuts to the infrastructure budget during their two terms in government.

“Last year, the (Tory) government committed $500 million in highway infrastructure. We are doing the same,” she said.

PC infrastructure critic Konrad Narth disagreed with the minister’s take.

“The truth of the matter is there is a cut to what was budgeted last year to what was budgeted this year,” said Narth, who was elected last fall.

Narth said past NDP governments underspent on infrastructure. Addressing last year’s underspending under the Tories, he said there were commitments to projects where “timelines didn’t align.”

“We will spend every dollar. We will be transparent — that is the difference.”–Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Lisa Naylor

The transportation and infrastructure department’s’s overall capital budget is $540 million for 2024-25, down from $704 million in the previous year. Within that, the budget for water-related infrastructure has been reduced by about $104 million.

An increase in the operating budget was fuelled by nearly $8 million in additional funding in a bid to increase highway maintenance, including 24-7 operations on the Perimeter Highway around Winnipeg.

Naylor said the NDP is using the five-year infrastructure strategy announced by the PCs last year, although it will look at new projects based on economic development opportunities or other needs.

She said a tender will soon be awarded for a functional design study for highways 1 and 5. The intersection north of Carberry will be redesigned to improve safety, after 17 seniors were killed in a collision between a minibus and tractor-trailer on June 15, 2023.

TIM SMITH / THE BRANDON SUN FILES
                                The intersection of the Trans-Canada Highway and Highway 5 will be redesigned after 17 seniors were killed in a collision between a minibus and tractor-trailer last summer.

TIM SMITH / THE BRANDON SUN FILES

The intersection of the Trans-Canada Highway and Highway 5 will be redesigned after 17 seniors were killed in a collision between a minibus and tractor-trailer last summer.

Repairs to southbound Highway 75 — the major trade corridor between Manitoba and the U.S. — that weren’t completed last year will wrap up this season, the province said.

A spokesperson for the province said almost $17 million has been budgeted to complete projects between Ste. Agathe and Morris, and continue concrete rehabilitation work between Morris and the Canada-U.S. border.

The Kinew government’s first budget invested heavily in areas such as health care and efforts to address social issues.

Chris Lorenc, president and CEO of the Manitoba Heavy Construction Association, said infrastructure cuts typically occur when there is a change in government.

“The fact there was no hack-and-slash was a good sign,” he said.

“The fact there was no hack-and-slash was a good sign.”–CEO of Manitoba Heavy Construction Association Chris Lorenc

Lorenc wants the NDP to become the first government in Manitoba to publicly release a report on the state of the province’s highways and bridges, including cost estimates for upgrades and a long-term vision.

It will help efforts to improve highway conditions, grow the economy and allow the industry to plan and prepare, he said.

“In short, it allows us to be competitive,” said Lorenc, a member of the government’s new blue-ribbon infrastructure advisory panel, which is tasked with prioritizing projects.

He said the government’s early commitments, including plans to invest in CentrePort Canada Inc. and the deep-sea port in Churchill, signal a “deeper and more genuine commitment to the importance of infrastructure” in Manitoba.

BORIS MINKEVICH / FREE PRESS FILES
The province's plans include investing in CentrePort Canada.

BORIS MINKEVICH / FREE PRESS FILES

The province's plans include investing in CentrePort Canada.

Located in Winnipeg and the RM of Rosser, CentrePort Canada is North America’s largest trimodal inland port (air, rail and highway) and foreign trade zone.

Gage Haubrich, prairie director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, said Manitobans have expectations when it comes to the state and safety of public highway infrastructure.

“It’s a cut in spending on one of the things taxpayers expect the government to focus on,” he said. “Roads are a good area to spend money on.

“Everyone uses highways, and making them safer is important for everyone.”

chris.kitching@freepress.mb.ca

Chris Kitching

Chris Kitching
Reporter

Chris Kitching is a general assignment reporter at the Free Press. He began his newspaper career in 2001, with stops in Winnipeg, Toronto and London, England, along the way. After returning to Winnipeg, he joined the Free Press in 2021, and now covers a little bit of everything for the newspaper. Read more about Chris.

Every piece of reporting Chris produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Preview

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:10 PM CDT

Fifty per cent tariffs weren’t the only thing paused in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute.

Read
Yesterday at 6:10 PM CDT

Legal aid underfunding violates Charter, lawsuit claims

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

Legal aid underfunding violates Charter, lawsuit claims

Free Press staff 2 minute read 12:25 PM CDT

The Canadian Civil Liberties Association is taking the provincial and federal government to court, alleging that decades of underfunding for criminal legal aid violates Canada’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

“Whether you are rich or poor should never determine whether you are found guilty of a crime,” Shakir Rahim, co-counsel in the case and director of the CCLA criminal justice program, said in a news release.

“Legal aid is supposed to protect that principle, ensuring that every person receives adequate legal representation.”

Funding for legal aid is woefully insufficient and has been for decades, the non-profit organization said.

Read
12:25 PM CDT

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

A Winnipeg drug dealer has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a March 2025 killing that saw the body of a 30-year-old man dumped in a garbage bin and dragged to a West End alleyway.

Frederick Francis Mathias Baker, who was 28 upon his arrest early last year, shot Bronson Emery Dale Kequahtooway once in the thigh with a sawed-off shotgun and left him with a fatal wound, Crown prosecutor Matt Armstrong told Court of King’s Bench Justice Brian Bowman on Wednesday.

A split second after Baker shot Kequahtooway in the thigh, the victim was shot in the head with a sawed-off .22 rifle. The man accused of being armed with the rifle, Eric Matthew Morrissette, remains before the court on a second-degree murder charge.

“Either wound would have been fatal on its own,” said Armstrong.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Broadway Social: when public art gets it right

Stephen Borys 6 minute read Preview

Broadway Social: when public art gets it right

Stephen Borys 6 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Great civic sculpture does something to us. It might delight or irritate, intrigue or confuse. It can make us stop, look up, move closer.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Updated: 11:27 AM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
Updated: 11:27 AM CDT

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |