Healing lodge in place at landfill search site Grandmother of one of serial killer’s victims says building will let her stay ‘close to my girl’

When a search for two slain Indigenous women begins at a Winnipeg-area landfill, a healing lodge nearby will provide space for their families to gather, access supports and wait for updates.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 16/07/2024 (765 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

When a search for two slain Indigenous women begins at a Winnipeg-area landfill, a healing lodge nearby will provide space for their families to gather, access supports and wait for updates.

Donna Bartlett feels comforted knowing she will be on site in a comfortable, private space while workers look for her granddaughter, Marcedes Myran, and Morgan Harris.

“It’s staying close to my girl,” she said Tuesday. “This way, I can stay close and kind of keep an eye and watch.”

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
                                The new healing lodge, meant for victims' families during the search for the slain women at Prairie Green Landfill.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

The new healing lodge, meant for victims' families during the search for the slain women at Prairie Green Landfill.

Bartlett envisions using the lodge’s kitchen to make food for searchers to sustain and thank them.

Harris’ cousin, Melissa Robinson, said it’s essential family members and elders are nearby while part of the landfill is searched. She welcomed the home-like setting of the lodge.

“It’s super-important to us,” she said. “When you look at it, it’s going to be home for the next little while for us.”

The 1,800-square foot, ready-to-move building was delivered to the privately owned Prairie Green Landfill late last week, as site preparations and detailed search planning continued.

The lodge is some distance from the section of the landfill where the remains of Harris, 39, and Myran, 26, are believed to be buried.

Workers are expected to begin excavating and searching material this fall. The landfill is just north of Winnipeg, in the Rural Municipality of Rosser.

“The search just needs to be done… to bring my cousin home,” Robinson said.

The families are turning more of their focus to the search after serial killer and self-proclaimed white supremacist Jeremy Skibicki was convicted of first-degree murder July 11 in the deaths of four Indigenous women — Harris, Myran, Rebecca Contois and an unidentified victim who was named Mashkode Bizhiki’ikwe, or Buffalo Woman, by the Indigenous community.

“I’m just looking forward to finding my girl,” Bartlett said. “It’s going to be hard, but it’s going to get done.”

“It’s super-important to us. When you look at it, it’s going to be home for the next little while for us.”–Melissa Robinson

The Crown told court Skibicki preyed on women at downtown shelters and acted out of hatred and a drive to “fulfil his deviant sexual urges” when he carried out the slayings in 2022.

Skibicki, 37, admitted to killing the women but argued he has schizophrenia and should be found not criminally responsible.

The Manitoba and federal governments are each contributing $20 million to the search at Prairie Green. The province has taken over the lead after an Indigenous-led committee was forced to conduct its own feasibility study with federal funding.

The search is in its second of up to five stages. Stage 2 includes an engineering assessment to identify a targeted search zone, where the remains are likely to be located within an area the size of about four football fields and 10 metres deep.

Health and safety plans are also being drawn up. Officials have said potential threats, such as asbestos and toxic chemicals, can be mitigated.

Temporary structures, such as the healing lodge and a covered search facility, are being moved to or set up at the site.

The lodge will have communal and private spaces, and bedrooms, when completed. Utilities still have to be hooked up. Foundation work is expected to be completed in the coming weeks, a provincial spokesperson said.

Project manager Amna Mackin said at a June 20 news conference that the wheelchair-accessible lodge will have Indigenous art and design.

She said magenta red shingles were selected to be symbolic of the red dress, which has become a symbol of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls in Canada.

Victims of convicted serial killer Jeremy Skibicki (left to right): Morgan Beatrice Harris, Marcedes Myran, Rebecca Contois.

Victims of convicted serial killer Jeremy Skibicki (left to right): Morgan Beatrice Harris, Marcedes Myran, Rebecca Contois.

A rendering showed a wooden deck in front of the lodge and the surrounding area landscaped with trees and shrubs.

The province said the space will provide culturally appropriate mental health services and traditional ceremonial supports.

Stage 2 took another step forward June 27, when a pilot test excavation was conducted in a separate area of Prairie Green.

“During the pilot test, materials from a small test area in a comparable section of the landfill were excavated to provide better information about the type and conditions of materials we will be searching through,” a provincial spokesperson wrote in an email.

The spokesperson said searchers are expected to be hired and trained early this fall, after a detailed search plan is finalized.

Stage 3 will remove layers of waste above the targeted zone this fall. Premier Wab Kinew has said the women’s remains are believed to be closer to the middle of the landfill section.

In Stage 4, material from the targeted zone will be excavated using heavy equipment and moved by truck to a the search facility. Material will be arranged in lines and analyzed by workers equipped with rakes and other tools.

The search could move to a fifth stage if no remains, or only partial remains, are found. Officials would decide whether to dig deeper or search the previously removed upper layers.

Mackin has said the targeted search area could be narrowed if clues, such as dated receipts, are found. Officials believe Harris and Myran’s remains were deposited at Prairie Green on May 16, 2022, after a truck collected the contents of a garbage bin on Henderson Highway.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
                                The 1,800-square foot, ready-to-move building was delivered to the privately owned Prairie Green Landfill late last week, as site preparations and detailed search planning continued.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

The 1,800-square foot, ready-to-move building was delivered to the privately owned Prairie Green Landfill late last week, as site preparations and detailed search planning continued.

Harris’ daughter, Cambria Harris, and Robinson said receipts found during the pilot search were legible.

“With the results we’re getting right now from our pilot test, it’s looking really promising,” Cambria Harris said at a July 11 news conference. “They’re able to read the receipts, so that makes it easier to break down timelines, that makes it easier to break down the location of where they might be.”

Remains belonging to Contois, 24, were recovered from a North Kildonan garbage bin and the Brady Road landfill during a search by Winnipeg police.

Robinson is among those advocating for a wider search of the Brady Road site for other missing or murdered women.

The location of Buffalo Woman’s remains is not known.

chris.kitching@freepress.mb.ca

Chris Kitching

Chris Kitching
Reporter

Chris Kitching is a general assignment reporter at the Free Press. He began his newspaper career in 2001, with stops in Winnipeg, Toronto and London, England, along the way. After returning to Winnipeg, he joined the Free Press in 2021, and now covers a little bit of everything for the newspaper. Read more about Chris.

Every piece of reporting Chris produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

ATV, generator stolen from Manitoba cottage

1 minute read Yesterday at 9:53 AM CDT

RCMP are seeking the public’s help to identify a person of interest after an all-terrain vehicle and other belongings were stolen from a cottage in southern Manitoba.

The theft happened near near Provincial Road 440 in the Rural Municipality of Louise, about 150 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, on Aug. 11.

Police said surveillance video showed a man walking onto the property at about 2:30 p.m. while covering his face and holding power tools.

A grinder was used to open a locked shipping container, where a 1982 Honda ATC200 all-terrain vehicle, a Honda EU2000i generator and a Stihl FS90 trimmer were among the items stolen, RCMP said. One of two Spypoint trail cameras was also reported stolen.

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Preview

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT

Ninety-four complaints about teacher misconduct were flagged in the 15 months after Manitoba set up an independent office to regulate the profession.

Commissioner Noni Classen has released a summary of the allegations brought to her attention and findings of investigations undertaken between January 2025 and March 2026.

A new disciplinary system, as well as an online registry where members of the public can look up the education level and standing of teachers and school clinicians, came into effect Jan. 6, 2025.

“These processes can be difficult and deeply personal for everyone involved, including students, families, teachers and school administrators,” Classen wrote in a 24-page report published this week.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT

Elevate things between you by breaking ice

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: I work in a high rise downtown and every day I come to work at the same time. I often ride the elevator up with this new guy working a few floors under me. I always feel a little disappointed when he has to get off, and I continue up into the sky.

I’ve worked my way up to speaking pleasantries about the weather, and he responds with cute remarks about the clouds. The good news? He’s not wearing a ring. I also found out his first name from hearing other people say hello to him. Now what?

— Feeling Frustrated! Downtown

Dear Frustrated: Next time you’re on the elevator ride together, say “Hi! My name is such-and-such and I work at such-and-such. Where do you work up here in the clouds?” That should make him smile and break the ice. Then you could consider asking if he might like to join you for a coffee on a work break, if you can co-ordinate it.

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.

Selkirk physiotherapist Pachal looks to finish strong at Natural Strongman Worlds

Grace Penner 5 minute read Preview

Selkirk physiotherapist Pachal looks to finish strong at Natural Strongman Worlds

Grace Penner 5 minute read Yesterday at 5:55 PM CDT

Over 250 competitors from 20 countries will descend on Paisley, Scotland, this week for the Natural Strongman Worlds. There the athletes will meet personal goals, test their endurance over a multiple-day event, and a winner from both the men’s and women’s division will be crowned the fittest of them all.

Selkirk’s own Tom Pachal will be competing in the under 80-kilogram weight class. Pachal has been surrounded by the fitness lifestyle his whole career, multitasking as a physiotherapist and owning the Iron Image Barbell Club in Selkirk.

“I’m very involved in the health, wellness, fitness, (and) rehabilitation community. I love being an overall active person and helping others,” Pachal said.

Starting off as a power lifter, Pachal was excited to transition over to the Strongman competitions, something that was less repetitive and more unpredictable.

Read
Yesterday at 5:55 PM CDT

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Preview

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Yesterday at 5:08 PM CDT

A long-awaited project will aim to add 115 new homes in Elmwood, with on-site social programs to support some of its more vulnerable residents.

Read
Yesterday at 5:08 PM CDT