McGroarty mum on Jets snub Penguins prospect’s reasons for wanting out of organization remain a mystery

Rutger McGroarty is quick to admit he still needs to work on his skating, but it’s clear he’s already adept at stickhandling on and off the ice.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 28/08/2024 (723 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Rutger McGroarty is quick to admit he still needs to work on his skating, but it’s clear he’s already adept at stickhandling on and off the ice.

The former Winnipeg Jets prospect met the Pittsburgh media for the first time since last Thursday’s trade to the Pittsburgh Penguins and while he was quick to display his charm and enthusiasm, McGroarty wasn’t interested in providing any details about why it didn’t work out with the organization that chose him 14th overall in the 2022 NHL Draft.

“My agents talked to them and then I talked to them. I wanted to be up front and honest with them and I just told them that I wasn’t going to be signing with them,” McGroarty told reporters in Cranberry, Pa. “I’ve got nothing but respect for those guys. They handled it with a lot of class and I wish them nothing but the best.

“As I said, I’m fired up to get started here now.”

COLIN E. BRALEY / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS FILES
                                Pittsburgh Penguins prospect Rutger McGroarty has yet to give a reason for turning his back on the Winnipeg Jets.

COLIN E. BRALEY / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS FILES

Pittsburgh Penguins prospect Rutger McGroarty has yet to give a reason for turning his back on the Winnipeg Jets.

Perhaps so fired up that he failed to answer the question about why he didn’t want to sign with the Jets.

During a zoom call with reporters last Thursday after the deal was completed, Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff lamented the lack of a direct answer from McGroarty and his representatives after they let the Jets GM know the player wasn’t interested in signing.

Despite multiple efforts, the best answer Cheveldayoff could get was ‘it didn’t feel right.’

With that as a backdrop, perhaps it’s no surprise McGroarty chose not to shed any additional light on the situation on Wednesday.

Whether or not he chooses to do so in October when the Penguins visit the Jets on the 20th remains to be seen.

McGroarty stood behind a podium and took questions for just over six minutes, raving about Pittsburgh being a great sports town and sharing that he took in a Pirates baseball game earlier this week.

RYAN REMIORZ / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES
                                Winnipeg Jets Rutger McGroarty poses with team officials during the first round of the 2022 NHL Draft Thursday, July 7, 2022 in Montreal.

RYAN REMIORZ / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES

Winnipeg Jets Rutger McGroarty poses with team officials during the first round of the 2022 NHL Draft Thursday, July 7, 2022 in Montreal.

When asked if he’d been given any assurances about that development path, McGroarty offered up a direct response that would surely bring a smile to the face of Penguins GM Kyle Dubas.

“I’ve been promised a spot at the rookie tournament and that’s about it,” said McGroarty, who wished Brayden Yager, the player the Jets got in return for McGroarty all the best with the Jets. “I feel like I’m going to get what I deserve and I’m going to come ready to work for camp. I like where my game is at right now. I’m excited to get to camp and hopefully leave a good impression on them.”

McGroarty captained Team USA to a gold medal at the World Junior Hockey Championship last January and helped the University of Michigan Wolverines reach the Frozen Four last April.

At the conclusion of his season, McGroarty informed the Jets he planned to return for his junior season with the Wolverines rather than sign an entry-level contract.

Shortly after the trade was completed, McGroarty shifted his path and inked his ELC with the Penguins.

“I feel like everything is right here,” he said. “The development path, the veteran guys they have here, the organization that they have here.”

“I feel like everything is right here. The development path, the veteran guys they have here, the organization that they have here.”–Rutger McGroarty

When the topic of his playing style was broached, McGroarty didn’t shy away from the gains required while accentuating his strengths.

“Speed, for sure, is something I’ve been working on a lot and I know that’s something I have to work on — just like I have to work on every aspect of my game,” he said. “But I feel like I definitely play a power type of game and I feel like I have a very good hockey IQ, so I can put myself into situations I can succeed in.”

Known for his enthusiastic approach, McGroarty gave a glimpse of that energy when he impressed Jets’ fans during development camp in July of 2023.

“I come to the rink every single day, I work extremely hard and do everything with intent and hopefully drag other guys with you and help them get better,” said McGroarty. “I’m also a very vocal guy. I’ve got a ton of energy. I’m always buzzing around, so hopefully some of that is contagious energy that other guys can feed off of.”

What about the potential to skate alongside Penguins captain Sidney Crosby down the road?

“Obviously he’s the best player in the world,” said McGroarty, noting he’s comfortable playing either left wing or right wing. “I’ve grown up watching him play, so it’s definitely crossed my mind. Yeah, that would be very cool if I could one day do that.”

ken.wiebe@freepress.mb.ca

X: @WiebesWorld

Ken Wiebe

Ken Wiebe
Reporter

Ken Wiebe is a sports reporter for the Free Press, with an emphasis on the Winnipeg Jets. He has covered hockey and provided analysis in this market since 2000 for the Winnipeg Sun, The Athletic, Sportsnet.ca and TSN. Ken was a summer intern at the Free Press in 1999 and returned to the Free Press in a full-time capacity in September of 2023. Read more about Ken.

Every piece of reporting Ken produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 3 minute read Preview

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 3 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

This weekend, the Mole Mobile will set up shop at three Winnipeg Walmart locations. The mobile clinic will have certified dermatologists on site to screen suspicious-looking moles or lesions for skin cancer.

Read
6:00 AM CDT

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Preview

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A June 9 disciplinary decision found more than 39,000 doses went unaccounted for while Glen Pauch, who worked at a Portage la Prairie pharmacy, was consuming drugs and improperly dispensing controlled substances — including opioids oxycodone and hydromorphone, and Concerta, a stimulant prescribed for ADHD — to 11 patients.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

ATV, generator stolen from Manitoba cottage

1 minute read Yesterday at 9:53 AM CDT

RCMP are seeking the public’s help to identify a person of interest after an all-terrain vehicle and other belongings were stolen from a cottage in southern Manitoba.

The theft happened near near Provincial Road 440 in the Rural Municipality of Louise, about 150 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, on Aug. 11.

Police said surveillance video showed a man walking onto the property at about 2:30 p.m. while covering his face and holding power tools.

A grinder was used to open a locked shipping container, where a 1982 Honda ATC200 all-terrain vehicle, a Honda EU2000i generator and a Stihl FS90 trimmer were among the items stolen, RCMP said. One of two Spypoint trail cameras was also reported stolen.

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read 5:47 PM CDT

A man who fatally stabbed a Ukrainian newcomer in “a random, unprovoked, and senseless act of violence” on the street has been sentenced to 10 years behind bars.

Ethan Gladu, 22, was found guilty of manslaughter in February in the December 20, 2023 killing of Ivan Rubanik, a 46-year-old father of two who had fled to Canada for a better life with his family several months before.

Gladu, then 19, randomly stabbed Rubanik shortly before 8 a.m., near Talbot Avenue and Watt Street, as the victim was walking to work that morning. He died of blood loss soon after.

“The people of Winnipeg, or any community, should feel confident that they can go about their business, walk to work, support their family, and carry on with their lives without being attacked,” said Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne on Thursday afternoon as he sentenced the killer.

Read
5:47 PM CDT

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Preview

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Yesterday at 5:21 PM CDT

The province must take immediate action to increase low staffing levels that are putting Selkirk emergency room nurses at risk, a letter sent to the premier and health minister says.

The letter, sent by the Manitoba Nurses Union and signed by 35 ER nurses, detailed multiple recent incidents at the Selkirk Regional Health Centre. In one case, a nurse was stabbed with a pen by a patient who had been waiting 24 hours for care. In another case, a nurse was bitten by a patient.

“Nurses in that emergency department are extremely frustrated,” said Manitoba Nurses Union president Darlene Jackson. “This is not something that happened in the last month — or overnight — these are problems that have been growing.”

The five-page letter was sent Tuesday to Premier Wab Kinew, Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara and leaders of the Interlake-Eastern Regional Health Authority. It contained 10 requests to improve safety inside the emergency department, including establishing safer nurse-to-patient staffing levels, eliminating the practice of “single physician coverage” in the emergency department and implementing an institutional safety officer around the clock.

Read
Yesterday at 5:21 PM CDT

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Updated: 11:27 AM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
Updated: 11:27 AM CDT