Displaced tenants’ hotel costs still covered by taxpayers Birchwood Terrace evacuated six months ago over structural concerns

Some tenants who were displaced when a St. James apartment block was deemed structurally unsafe six months ago are still living in hotels at the Manitoba government’s expense.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 12/11/2024 (646 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Some tenants who were displaced when a St. James apartment block was deemed structurally unsafe six months ago are still living in hotels at the Manitoba government’s expense.

Carol Lynch and other Birchwood Terrace evacuees have questioned why taxpayers are covering the cost of hotel rooms instead of property owner Ladco Co. Ltd.

“It’s (the company’s) problem. Why should the province pay?” Lynch told the Free Press Tuesday.

“It’s (the company’s) problem. Why should the province pay?”–Carol Lynch

MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS 
Carol Lynch has been living in a hotel room with her dog Trixie.
MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS

Carol Lynch has been living in a hotel room with her dog Trixie.

Some 250 tenants were forced to leave the building at 2440 Portage Ave. with little notice May 9 due to structural damage to steel supports in an underground parkade. Lynch and her dog, Trixie, have been in hotel rooms since then.

It was unclear how many tenants are still in hotels. Lynch said six are at the hotel she is staying in. The province would not say how many Birchwood Terrace residents continue to receive support.

As of Sept. 30, the government has spent $216,097 to support 136 residents “to ensure no one was left without a place to stay,” a spokesperson said.

The province would not say if it is trying or will try to recoup evacuation-related expenses from Ladco. A company official did not respond to a request for comment.

In June, Premier Wab Kinew said businesses such as Ladco should foot the bill when residents are displaced.

“You have a private company who’s created a situation of stress for so many people, and now it’s up to the taxpayers of Manitoba to step in. Is that fair?” he said at the time.

Lynch plans to return to her apartment suite — and her belongings that are still there — when repairs are completed and Birchwood Terrace is deemed structurally safe for occupancy.

A break-in at the fenced-off complex Sunday night gave her and other tenants one more thing to worry about amid an already stressful ordeal.

“It pisses me off,” she said of the incident.

Evacuees were initially supported by the city and the Canadian Red Cross. The province took over June 1 and extended support beyond a June 30 deadline for people who remained in hotels.

Some tenants moved in with family or friends. Others relinquished their suites when they found new homes to rent via their own searches or Ladco-owned property manager Lakewood Agencies.

Residents were eventually allowed back in to retrieve belongings.

As Lynch began to wait it out in a hotel, an initial tentative timeline from Lakewood Agencies suggested tenants could return after Aug. 31, in a best-case scenario.

She had hoped to be back home by now, but the potential return date continued to be pushed back.

Lakewood Agencies informed tenants Oct. 29 at least three more weeks of work must be completed before full-time occupancy can be permitted, according to a message obtained by the Free Press.

Due to the “unforeseeable delays,” returning tenants have until March 1, 2025 to sign leases with special rent and conditions, the message said. They were initially given a deadline of Jan. 1, 2025.

MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS 
Carol Lynch hoped to be back home by now, but the return date to Birchwood Terrace kept getting pushed back.
MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS

Carol Lynch hoped to be back home by now, but the return date to Birchwood Terrace kept getting pushed back.

Lynch said she is on a limited income, receiving disability support, and unlikely to find an affordable rental unit in the same area. Some buildings do not accept pets.

The province initially covered daily food vouchers for tenants who were in hotels. Lynch and her dog are now in a room with a kitchenette.

“It’s not fun living in a hotel. It’s very boring,” she said. “It’s kind of depressing.”

Lynch last checked on her suite at Birchwood Terrace about a week ago.

Winnipeg police arrested two people after officers were called to a report of a break-in at the building at about 11 p.m. Sunday.

“(The suspects) breached a security fence and then they accessed the building,” said police spokesman Const. Pat Saydak. “Property security noticed that they were there and alerted us.”

The suspects fled but were arrested nearby on Assiniboine Crescent. A police dog was used to find the pair.

A 20-year-old woman and 38-year-old man are charged with break and enter. The woman was allegedly in possession of break-in tools.

Saydak said officers determined no property was stolen.

The building’s owner hired private security to keep an eye on the property after the city issued the evacuation order in May.

Kim Scott, whose late 90-year-old mother, Florence Scott, was among the evacuees, was disappointed when she learned of the break-in.

Scott said she made a police report in October, after she and her brother were allowed into their mother’s suite and noticed items, including lamps, a stand mixer and a portable heater, appeared to be missing.

She said she believes the stress of the sudden move contributed to her mother’s death July 30.

“I’m distraught, because my mom’s not here anymore. These (belongings) are precious to us,” she said. “At the time, it felt like there was no security, because how did this happen?”

chris.kitching@freepress.mb.ca

Chris Kitching

Chris Kitching
Reporter

Chris Kitching is a general assignment reporter at the Free Press. He began his newspaper career in 2001, with stops in Winnipeg, Toronto and London, England, along the way. After returning to Winnipeg, he joined the Free Press in 2021, and now covers a little bit of everything for the newspaper. Read more about Chris.

Every piece of reporting Chris produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Adding emergency doctors, nurses and support staff is great, but it won’t break the wait-time logjam

Dan Lett 5 minute read Preview

Adding emergency doctors, nurses and support staff is great, but it won’t break the wait-time logjam

Dan Lett 5 minute read Updated: 9:27 AM CDT

When Premier Wab Kinew recently announced his government had recruited more than 4,700 net new health-care professionals and support workers, the proclamation was met with quite a few rolling eyes.

Read
Updated: 9:27 AM CDT

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Preview

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Yesterday at 5:21 PM CDT

The province must take immediate action to increase low staffing levels that are putting Selkirk emergency room nurses at risk, a letter sent to the premier and health minister says.

The letter, sent by the Manitoba Nurses Union and signed by 35 ER nurses, detailed multiple recent incidents at the Selkirk Regional Health Centre. In one case, a nurse was stabbed with a pen by a patient who had been waiting 24 hours for care. In another case, a nurse was bitten by a patient.

“Nurses in that emergency department are extremely frustrated,” said Manitoba Nurses Union president Darlene Jackson. “This is not something that happened in the last month — or overnight — these are problems that have been growing.”

The five-page letter was sent Tuesday to Premier Wab Kinew, Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara and leaders of the Interlake-Eastern Regional Health Authority. It contained 10 requests to improve safety inside the emergency department, including establishing safer nurse-to-patient staffing levels, eliminating the practice of “single physician coverage” in the emergency department and implementing an institutional safety officer around the clock.

Read
Yesterday at 5:21 PM CDT

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read Preview

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

MOON ALERT: After 3:45 a.m. today there are no restrictions to shopping or important decisions. The moon is in Sagittarius.

ARIES (March 21-April 19)

You might be interested in unusual, powerful ideas. They might be mystical and idealistic. They might even be related to improving yourself somehow. Nevertheless, be aware this is also a mildly accident-prone day for you. Pay attention to everything you say and do.

TAURUS (April 20-May 20)

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 4 minute read Preview

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 4 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

After soaking up the summer sun, there’s no better time to get a skin checkup.

This weekend, the Mole Mobile will set up shop at three Winnipeg Walmart locations. The mobile clinic, which receives support from the Canadian Dermatology Association, will have certified dermatologists on site to screen suspicious-looking moles or lesions for skin cancer on a first-come, first-served basis.

First launched in 2023 in Ontario, the Mole Mobile is intended to promote prevention and early detection of skin cancer. Last weekend, the clinic visited Brandon, Portage la Prairie and Selkirk, a first for Manitoba.

“We saw a number of patients who had spots that they weren’t sure if they were normal or not,” says Dr. Alexis Botkin, a local dermatologist working the Manitoba Mole Mobile stops. “It was wonderful to provide that skin screening for people who were on a wait list (to see a specialist), as well as those who don’t have a primary care provider.”

Read
6:00 AM CDT

Letters, Aug. 20

7 minute read Preview

Letters, Aug. 20

7 minute read Updated: 9:00 AM CDT

I scrolled through the comment section of the online news story, my eyes darting through differing opinions until I landed on one that caught my attention. I felt my shoulders tense and my breath quicken as I read the fiery thoughts of a stranger. Surely, there must be a better way to read the news?

Read
Updated: 9:00 AM CDT