Holy Ghost Parish priest dodges knife attack during Sunday mass; would-be assailant arrested, charged

The Catholic priest, wearing deep-green vestments, makes his way to the front of the church while chanting prayers in Polish, bowing a knee before climbing the two steps to the altar.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 10/02/2025 (556 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The Catholic priest, wearing deep-green vestments, makes his way to the front of the church while chanting prayers in Polish, bowing a knee before climbing the two steps to the altar.

Without warning, a bald man in a bright yellow jacket and sneakers strides purposefully towards the cleric and, with a knife in his right hand, lunges, attempting to stab him.

The cleric screams, turns and flees. The attacker turns, plunges the knife into the altar table and quietly walks to a chair and sits down before several parishioners — including an off-duty RCMP officer — attending Sunday mass at Holy Ghost Parish calmly approach and detain him.

No one was injured in the shocking scene that played out at the North End church, captured on a 50-second video recorded from the livestream of the service.

It’s the latest in a recent, disturbing number of incidents involving houses of worship in the inner city, sanctuaries previously spared of the violence and other social ills that have forced church officials to increase security measures.

Winnipeg Police Service spokeswoman Const. Dani McKinnon said nothing specifically appeared to precipitate the attempted assault on the 38-year-old priest at about 6 p.m.

“This was extremely unexpected. We don’t often hear of acts of violence occurring within places of worship in Winnipeg,” McKinnon said Monday.

“Police do not believe that the accused in this matter regularly attended the church or was part of the congregation, so it is more disturbing in that a motive hasn’t been established or may not until (the charges proceed to) court.”

The pastor told police he did not recognize the suspect, McKinnon said.

“He seems driven in the video, he seems to know where he wants to go with the assault,” said McKinnon.

A video from a service livestream at Holy Ghost parish shows a man attempting to assault a pastor during a church service while armed with a knife, then driving the weapon into the altar. The archdiocese said it is grateful no one was hurt.

A video from a service livestream at Holy Ghost parish shows a man attempting to assault a pastor during a church service while armed with a knife, then driving the weapon into the altar. The archdiocese said it is grateful no one was hurt.

“The pastor, he essentially stepped off the line of attack and saved himself.”

McKinnon said said it’s “a bit of a miracle” that no one was hurt and that the RCMP officer was among the parishioners at the Selkirk Avenue house of worship.

She said the video captured the majority of the attempted attack. “The time frame of the video appears to reflect the time frame of the incident.”

McKinnon said she and other officers in the police public information office were shocked when they learned of the attack Monday morning.

“We were taken aback,” she said. “It’s not typical… it did seem random.”

She said investigators do not yet know why the man, who has had past interactions with city police, attempted the assault.

The Archdiocese of Winnipeg said it awaits “a judge’s ruling” after the incident.

“This was extremely unexpected. We don’t often hear of acts of violence occurring within places of worship in Winnipeg.”–WPS Const. Dani McKinnon

“We are grateful that no one was hurt,” it said.

Pawel Olownia, 50, of Winnipeg, has been charged with assault with a weapon, possession of a weapon and disturbing a meeting. He was detained in custody.

He was convicted in July 2018 of assaulting a peace officer with a weapon and given 11 months in jail, court records show.

Olownia was also convicted of assault, theft under $5,000 and uttering threats in 2004, for which he received probation. He also has impaired driving convictions.

Church leaders in Winnipeg’s inner city have recently raised concerns with crime and vandalism around their buildings, with some increasing security measures.

The Sunday incident could serve as a cautionary lesson for churches, said Ahmed Jibo, pastor of Pilgrim Baptist Church in South Point Douglas.

“I ask, how can I make the church members more safe?” he said on Monday. “We have to learn something from there, and be more cautious.”

“I ask, how can I make the church members more safe?….We have to learn something from there, and be more cautious.”–Pilgrim Baptist Church pastor Ahmed Jibo

Before services start at Pilgrim Baptist Church, greeters are positioned at the door to welcome parishioners and show them to their seats.

They, along with Jibo, know the people who normally attend services, he said.

Erik Parker, pastor of Sherwood Park Lutheran Church in East Kildonan, said the incident, which was rare, could spur some places of worship to discuss security measures or the safety of their community.

“It’s certainly concerning that somebody would interrupt a gathering, a worship service, in such a way with violent intentions,” he said.

Some churches keep their doors locked at times as a precaution, Parker said, adding places of worship do not want to create barriers for regular or new visitors.

“You want to be open and available to the public, and to have your space be a welcoming space,” he said.

On Monday evening, about a dozen people attended mass at the church.

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS
                                 The Archdiocese of Winnipeg said it awaits “a judge’s ruling” after the incident at Holy Ghost Parish Church.

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS

The Archdiocese of Winnipeg said it awaits “a judge’s ruling” after the incident at Holy Ghost Parish Church.

One parishioner told the Free Press he is concerned for his safety following the incident.

Another said his vehicle parked near the church was previously vandalized.

— With files from Dean Pritchard, Chris Kitching and Scott Billeck

erik.pindera@freepress.mb.ca

Erik Pindera

Erik Pindera
Reporter

Erik Pindera is a reporter for the Free Press, mostly focusing on crime and justice. The born-and-bred Winnipegger attended Red River College Polytechnic, wrote for the community newspaper in Kenora, Ont. and reported on television and radio in Winnipeg before joining the Free Press in 2020.  Read more about Erik.

Every piece of reporting Erik produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Monday, February 10, 2025 6:42 PM CST: Adds details, photos

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Preview

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:10 PM CDT

Fifty per cent tariffs weren’t the only thing paused in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute.

Read
Yesterday at 6:10 PM CDT

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

ATV, generator stolen from Manitoba cottage

1 minute read Yesterday at 9:53 AM CDT

RCMP are seeking the public’s help to identify a person of interest after an all-terrain vehicle and other belongings were stolen from a cottage in southern Manitoba.

The theft happened near near Provincial Road 440 in the Rural Municipality of Louise, about 150 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, on Aug. 11.

Police said surveillance video showed a man walking onto the property at about 2:30 p.m. while covering his face and holding power tools.

A grinder was used to open a locked shipping container, where a 1982 Honda ATC200 all-terrain vehicle, a Honda EU2000i generator and a Stihl FS90 trimmer were among the items stolen, RCMP said. One of two Spypoint trail cameras was also reported stolen.

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 5:55 PM CDT

Canada-U.S. Minister Dominic LeBlanc smiled widely beside U.S. President Donald Trump's trade czar in Washington on Wednesday as they touted a draft deal which appears to have averted a new round of punishing tariffs on Canada.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 5:55 PM CDT

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Preview

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT

Ninety-four complaints about teacher misconduct were flagged in the 15 months after Manitoba set up an independent office to regulate the profession.

Commissioner Noni Classen has released a summary of the allegations brought to her attention and findings of investigations undertaken between January 2025 and March 2026.

A new disciplinary system, as well as an online registry where members of the public can look up the education level and standing of teachers and school clinicians, came into effect Jan. 6, 2025.

“These processes can be difficult and deeply personal for everyone involved, including students, families, teachers and school administrators,” Classen wrote in a 24-page report published this week.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT

Premier presses Bell Canada about ‘unacceptable’ 911 outages

Carol Sanders 5 minute read Preview

Premier presses Bell Canada about ‘unacceptable’ 911 outages

Carol Sanders 5 minute read Yesterday at 7:19 PM CDT

Premier Wab Kinew said the province is doing all it can to ensure that Manitobans aren’t hit with another 911 service outage — including asking the head of Bell Canada to help.

“At the end of the day, when you dial 911, we need to get emergency services to you as quickly as possible,” Kinew said.

On July 22, an hours-long outage prevented nearly 90 calls to 911 from being routed to the public safety answering point in Brandon. Backup systems that reroute 911 calls when an outage occurs also experienced “issues” after a third party cut the cable during construction near Winnipeg, Bell Canada said earlier.

At the time, Kinew called the 911 outage “unacceptable,” and told reporters that Prime Minister Mark Carney assured him he would raise the matter with telecom executives.

Read
Yesterday at 7:19 PM CDT