Potential human remains found in search at Prairie Green Landfill

The search for a serial killer’s victims in a Winnipeg-area landfill has uncovered potential human remains, in what Indigenous leaders say is a “painful but significant moment” in their quest for justice.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/02/2025 (538 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The search for a serial killer’s victims in a Winnipeg-area landfill has uncovered potential human remains, in what Indigenous leaders say is a “painful but significant moment” in their quest for justice.

“It’s an important day for Manitobans. An important day for two families, and an important day I would say, for the country,” Premier Wab Kinew told reporters from his office at the Manitoba legislature Wednesday evening.

The Manitoba government announced earlier in the day the provincial chief medical examiner had been contacted after possible remains were identified Wednesday in material found at Prairie Green Landfill.

TWITTER
                                Morgan Harris

TWITTER

Morgan Harris

“The RCMP has now initiated a found human remains investigation at the site, and steps for identification are underway,” a news release said.

Excavation work at the landfill and a search through material for the remains of victims of murderer Jeremy Skibicki began in December.

Kinew said the families of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran were notified and went to the site Wednesday.

“I spent a good chunk of the day there with them, and I want to take this time to really acknowledge their courage and all of the emotions that they’ve had to live through as this issue played out in the public,” said Kinew.

Harris’ daughter Cambria Harris declined to comment.

“Please respect my family and our privacy at this time: regarding the news released today regarding the Prairie Green Landfill. Please do not reach out to me regarding media requests pertaining to that,” she posted on Facebook.

“We are under a (non-disclosure agreement), and I would like this time to grieve in peace. My mother and our loved ones deserve more than a news headline like that: please respect it.”

Jorden Myran, sister of Morgan, also declined to comment, saying the family needs privacy. Myran’s grandmother, Donna Bartlett, said in a text message that she was too emotional to talk.

The Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs, which is working with the Manitoba government on the search, said the discovery brings grief.

“Today, we stand with heavy hearts, with determination, and with an unbreakable commitment to justice,” Grand Chief Kyra Wilson said in a release.

“The discovery… is a painful but significant moment in our collective fight for justice. The efforts to bring home Marcedes Myran, Morgan Harris, and Mashkode Bizhiki’ikwe (Buffalo Woman) have been relentless — led by their families, First Nations leadership, and with support from our provincial and federal governments.”

The Southern Chiefs’ Organization, in a post on social media, said it stands with the families.

FACEBOOK
                                Marcedes Myran

FACEBOOK

Marcedes Myran

“SCO expresses our support and prayers for the families of the late Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran, along with the citizens of the Long Plain First Nation, as the search and identification work takes place,” the post said. “SCO commends the families of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran for their tireless advocacy for these sacred women.”

An RCMP spokesperson said Wednesday officers from major crime services would go to the scene to collect the remains for laboratory analysis and DNA confirmation, under the direction of the chief medical examiner.

“There are strict procedures in place at the search facility to maintain the integrity of the investigation,” the spokesperson said.

The premier said the identification process would take “probably up to a couple weeks to play out.

“While the experts say that these are partial human remains, we also need to bear in mind we don’t know which of these two families are potentially going to receive the news, or potentially another family that is not even perhaps part of the conversation right now,” said Kinew.

Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine praised the victims’ families in a Facebook post.

“So much love, strength and respect to the families of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. Today’s development is because of their dedication and tenacity of bringing their loved ones home.”

The Winnipeg Police Service had said it believed the remains of Harris and Myran — ages 39 and 26, respectively — were put in a garbage bin off Henderson Highway in May 2022. The bin’s contents were deposited at Prairie Green, just north of Winnipeg in the Rural Municipality of Rosser.

Police said it would be too dangerous and difficult to search Prairie Green because of the large volume of waste, including toxic material, that had been dumped and compressed.

That decision sparked months of outraged protests.

In July 2024, a judge convicted Skibicki of four counts of first-degree murder. He was sentenced to four concurrent life sentences with no chance of parole for 25 years.

Skibicki, who was 37 at the time of his sentencing, admitted to killing Harris, Myran and two other First Nations women — 24-year-old Rebecca Contois and an unidentified victim who was given the name Mashkode Bizhiki’ikwe (Buffalo Woman) by community members.

BROOK JONES/FREE PRESS
                                The search facility building at Prairie Green Landfill. The Manitoba government announced Wednesday possible human remains were identified in material found at the landfill.

BROOK JONES/FREE PRESS

The search facility building at Prairie Green Landfill. The Manitoba government announced Wednesday possible human remains were identified in material found at the landfill.

He had pleaded not guilty, saying he was not criminally responsible because of a mental disorder.

Contois’ remains were found in a garbage bin in North Kildonan in May 2022, and a section of the city-run Brady Road landfill during a search by police the following month. The remains of the three other victims have not been found.

“Our thoughts go out to the MMIWG2S+ community and all families who are awaiting word on their missing loved ones,” interim police chief Arthur Stannard said in a written statement Wednesday.

An Indigenous-led committee that conducted feasibility studies funded by the federal Liberal government concluded a search was feasible and that safety risks could be mitigated.

The issue of whether to search the landfill became a political issue in the last election campaign. The NDP, who won the October 2023 vote, promised to search the landfill, while the Tories campaigned against a search.

The provincial and federal governments have each put up $20 million to search the landfill.

— with files from Carol Sanders

fpcity@freepress.mb.ca

Scott Billeck

Scott Billeck
Reporter

Scott Billeck is a general assignment reporter for the Free Press. A Creative Communications graduate from Red River College, Scott has more than a decade’s worth of experience covering hockey, football and global pandemics. He joined the Free Press in 2024.  Read more about Scott.

Every piece of reporting Scott produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

 

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Wednesday, February 26, 2025 5:04 PM CST: Photos added.

Updated on Wednesday, February 26, 2025 6:51 PM CST: Full writethru with details, comments added.

Updated on Wednesday, February 26, 2025 7:47 PM CST: Adds Kinew quotes

Updated on Wednesday, February 26, 2025 8:32 PM CST: Adds fresh photos

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

Hannah Schoenbaum, The Associated Press 6 minute read Preview

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

Hannah Schoenbaum, The Associated Press 6 minute read Updated: 12:26 PM CDT

Hayden Panettiere, a onetime child star who soared to fame in the TV shows “Heroes” and “Nashville” while enduring struggles with alcohol addiction and depression, has died. She was 36.

Police said Panettiere was found unresponsive in an apartment in Greenville, South Carolina, shortly before 2 p.m. Sunday. Lifesaving measures were performed but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

No cause of death has been determined and Panettiere's death remains under investigation. An autopsy found no signs of trauma and police said officers saw no signs of foul play.

The television and film performer, who would have turned 37 on Friday, had been open about her private battles and wrote at length about them in the memoir, “This Is Me,” which came out in May. She described lifelong scars from her early fame, and acknowledged being addicted to alcohol and enduring postpartum depression after the birth of her daughter, Kaya, with Ukrainian boxer Wladimir Klitschko in 2014.

Read
Updated: 12:26 PM CDT

New exhibition offers up 125 different ways to look at Canada

Jen Zoratti 6 minute read Preview

New exhibition offers up 125 different ways to look at Canada

Jen Zoratti 6 minute read 4:37 PM CDT

As a curator and head of collections and exhibitions at WAG-Qaumajuq, Riva Symko has been contemplating landscapes in art for a long time. But living in an ever-changing and ever-threatened one has altered her perspective on them.

Before coming to Winnipeg, Symko and her husband lived in Anchorage, Alaska. One day, seven or so years ago, they were out hiking when a sudden thunderstorm rolled through — “which is very unusual in Alaska,” she says — sparking a forest fire that ended up raging out of control. That summer, the whole city, save for the ocean side, was surrounded by fire and blanketed with heavy smoke. Climate change was viscerally visible.

“And since then, I really haven’t been able to look at a beautiful landscape the same,” she says.

With Terra Cognita/Incognita, a new exhibition opening at WAG-Qaumajuq Wednesday night, Symko wants to inspire and challenge viewers to look at landscapes differently, too.

Read
4:37 PM CDT

RCMP searching for missing 34-year-old woman

1 minute read Updated: 8:07 AM CDT

Police are asking for the public’s help locating a 34-year-old woman last heard from almost a week ago.

Tamara Stevens, who also goes by Tammy, was last heard from on Sunday last weekend and was reported missing Tuesday morning, said a Thompson RCMP news release Saturday.

RCMP and family are worried for her well-being.

Stevens is believed to be in Thompson and is described as 5'7, with a slender build and long red hair, said RCMP. She also has a piercing on her lip and was last seen wearing black T-Shirt featuring the Twilight character Jacob, pants and work boots.

U of M exhibition brings ancient Roman Egyptian documents to life

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Preview

U of M exhibition brings ancient Roman Egyptian documents to life

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read 4:48 PM CDT

Two thousand years ago, people in Roman Egypt wrote letters, kept receipts, made lists and dealt with the everyday bureaucracy of life. Some of those pieces of ancient life are now on display in Winnipeg.

Read
4:48 PM CDT

Potential human remains found in search at Prairie Green Landfill

Adam Treusch and Scott Billeck 5 minute read Preview

Potential human remains found in search at Prairie Green Landfill

Adam Treusch and Scott Billeck 5 minute read Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2025

The search for a serial killer’s victims in a Winnipeg-area landfill has uncovered potential human remains, in what Indigenous leaders say is a “painful but significant moment” in their quest for justice.

“It’s an important day for Manitobans. An important day for two families, and an important day I would say, for the country,” Premier Wab Kinew told reporters from his office at the Manitoba legislature Wednesday evening.

The Manitoba government announced earlier in the day the provincial chief medical examiner had been contacted after possible remains were identified Wednesday in material found at Prairie Green Landfill.

“The RCMP has now initiated a found human remains investigation at the site, and steps for identification are underway,” a news release said.

Read
Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2025

Mayor Scott Gillingham, in one of his first re-election campaign pledges, has promised to create a level playing field for local businesses to compete with national and multinational bidders on city contracts for goods and services.

It’s not a bad pledge, per se. There are a lot of Winnipeggers who are keenly interested in seeing government do business with other Winnipeggers and Manitobans.

But Gillingham’s newest campaign policy fails to answer two key questions: what, exactly, is a “local” company? And it is beneficial to give government business to local companies over those headquartered elsewhere?

Two recent controversies illustrate the difficulty in obtaining definitive answers.