NDP promised 800 hip, knee replacements in Selkirk this year; just 79 done so far

Just 79 hip and knee surgeries have been completed at Selkirk Regional Health Centre so far this year after the Manitoba government promised 800 would be performed in 2025.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 12/05/2025 (462 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Just 79 hip and knee surgeries have been completed at Selkirk Regional Health Centre so far this year after the Manitoba government promised 800 would be performed in 2025.

The pledge was part of the NDP’s plan to meet demand and reduce wait times.

The Selkirk program announced in November — which added staff and expanded operating space — was to launch in January, but did not start until March.

Mikaela MacKenzie / Free Press files 
The Selkirk hip and knee surgery program was to launch in January, but did not start until March.
Mikaela MacKenzie / Free Press files

The Selkirk hip and knee surgery program was to launch in January, but did not start until March.

The 79 hip and knee procedures performed between March 12 and May 4 — close to 10 per week — put the program on track for about 520 surgeries this year, a significant reduction from the promised 800.

The Selkirk hip and knee surgery program is limited to patients who can be discharged in a day and don’t need lengthy hospital stays.

However, the pace is picking up, according to the Interlake-Eastern Health Region.

“The program continued to increase the number of patients accessing surgeries in April as it moves towards target by increasing surgeries,” the region said in an email Monday.

No one overseeing the program was made available for an interview. Neither was Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara.

“The average number of patients accessing hip and knee surgeries in May is increasing and the number will continue to grow as we work towards achieving our target goal of 800 surgeries completed per fiscal year,” the health region email said.

Dr. Ed Buchel, the provincial surgery specialty lead for Shared Health, said at the program’s Nov. 27 announcement that 800 additional surgeries each year at one site is an “astronomical number” representing fundamental change, and that, provincewide, capacity would rise to nearly 7,800 joints per year, matching the needs of Manitoba’s population.

Buchel said the increased capacity would spare any new patients from becoming “long-waiters” whose surgery date — if they’re able to obtain one — is more than a year down the road.

Asagwara took the opportunity at that event to take a shot at the previous Tory government, which had formed a surgical wait-time task force that sent some Manitoba patients to other provinces and to the United States to get needed surgeries.

The task force was scrapped in 2023 when the NDP formed government promising to redirect funding to the public system.

“We know as a government that cutting wait times… does not have to be complicated,” Asagwara said at the November announcement.

“We’re talking about people who are in pain,  many people whose lives have been drastically altered by the fact that they need an orthopedic surgery.”–PC Health Critic Kathleen Cook

“You don’t need to send folks out of province or out of the country to get the essential surgical care that they need and can get, and deserve to get, right here at home.”

On Monday, critics accused the province of over-promising and under-delivering on the plan.

“I would like to see the promises that are made be realistic and more to do with the actual investment into the system,” said Manitoba Association of Health Care Professionals president Jason Linklater.

“Based on the (promised) number of 800 cases, it would be very ambitious at this point, because they’re only on track to do a little over half of that.”

Progressive Conservative health critic Kathleen Cook said Monday that while there’s nothing wrong with being ambitious, the NDP have given people false hope.

“We’re talking about people who are in pain — many people whose lives have been drastically altered by the fact that they need an orthopedic surgery,” said the MLA for Roblin.

Physicians advocacy group Doctors Manitoba said it had anticipated that Selkirk’s increase in hip and knee surgeries would take time to get up and running, and that it’s important to ensure that adding hip and knee surgeries there doesn’t take away from other procedures at the hospital.

The organization said its overall concern is with the growth in the wait list and wait times.

“While 800 more surgeries in Selkirk is a significant and positive 12 per cent boost to the total number of hip and knee surgeries done in Manitoba, it is not keeping up with the wait list, which has grown by 1,471 patients, or 28 per cent, over the last year,” a spokesman said.

“This means the current wait time of 32 weeks, which is already beyond the medically recommended benchmark and the Canadian average, is at risk of getting even longer in the months ahead.”

In the 2024-2025 fiscal year, 6,059 hip and knee surgeries were performed in the province, according to Manitoba Health online data. The number of Manitobans waiting was 6,652 as of February.

Ruth Bonneville / Free Press files 
Dr. Ed Buchel, the provincial surgery specialty lead for Shared Health, has said the expected increase in capacity for hip and knee replacements would prevent any new patients from being

Ruth Bonneville / Free Press files

Dr. Ed Buchel, the provincial surgery specialty lead for Shared Health, has said the expected increase in capacity for hip and knee replacements would prevent any new patients from being "long-waiters" for surgery.

“I think everybody wants to see government meet those types of targets, because it benefits everybody,” Linklater said.

But a shortage of diagnostic imaging, lab, physiotherapy and occupational therapy professionals needed to successfully implement such a plan, ensures it’s not realistic, he said.

“It’s really important that government takes into consideration the entire picture when they’re implementing this much-needed change to be able to increase capacity,” Linklater said.

Investing in education to get more young people into allied health professions to staff up such programs is needed.

“That eventually gets you to a place where you don’t have things like backlogs and wait lists, because that’s going to take a long time to clean up,” Linklater said.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, many surgeries — including hip and knee replacements — were postponed as the health-care system was overwhelmed with critically ill Manitobans and staffing levels already stretched thin.

carol.sanders@freepress.mb.ca

“We’re talking about people who are in pain.” – PC health critic Kathleen Cook

Carol Sanders

Carol Sanders
Legislature reporter

Carol Sanders is a reporter at the Free Press legislature bureau. The former general assignment reporter and copy editor joined the paper in 1997. Read more about Carol.

Every piece of reporting Carol produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

 

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

RCMP searching for missing woman from Split Lake

1 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Thompson RCMP are asking for help from the public to find a 37-year-old woman who has not been heard from since late July.

Melanie Beardy, from Split Lake First Nation, was last in contact on July 26, said an RCMP news release Saturday. Beardy, who was in Thompson, was reported missing last Sunday and RCMP said both police and her family are worried for her well-being.

Attempts to find Beardy have been unsuccessful, said RCMP.

She’s described as 5’4 with a large build and long, black hair usually worn in a ponytail, said Mounties. She has a tattoo on her chest that reads: “Elvis,” and has a tattoo of a dreamcatcher on her left forearm.

WRHA directs three care homes to accommodate surge of hospital patients

Malak Abas 5 minute read Preview

WRHA directs three care homes to accommodate surge of hospital patients

Malak Abas 5 minute read Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

The Winnipeg Regional Health Authority has directed three long-term care centres to make space for hospital patients, citing “exceptionally high demand for care across the health-care system.”

Read
Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

West Kildonan Industrial residents call for speed bumps after child hit by truck

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Preview

West Kildonan Industrial residents call for speed bumps after child hit by truck

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Residents in the West Kildonan Industrial neighbourhood are calling on the city to install speed bumps in their area after a child was hit and dragged by a vehicle Thursday.

Katelyn Bemister lives near the area where the child — who was hospitalized as a result of the incident and has been upgraded to stable condition — was struck. She says people frequently speed in the area.

“They’re going really fast, and they’re not really paying attention at all to the pedestrians in the area,” says Bemister.

In video supplied to the Free Press by a resident, the child can be seen riding a bike down a sidewalk along the 500 block of North Point Boulevard.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Preview

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

A Winnipeg foster mother has admitted to violently assaulting her ill foster daughter and leaving her paralyzed after the girl resisted the woman’s efforts to provide her with medication, a court has heard.

Marilyn Keno, 26, pleaded guilty Friday to one count of aggravated assault.

Keno remains in custody and will be sentenced at a later date following the completion of a court-ordered pre-sentence report.

The maximum sentence for aggravated assault is 14 years in prison. Crown attorney Alanna Littman and defence lawyer Jeremy Kostiuk did not disclose what sentences they will be recommending.

Read
Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

Take advantage of hydroelectric potential

Jerry Storie 5 minute read Preview

Take advantage of hydroelectric potential

Jerry Storie 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Manitoba Hydro tells us that we are going to need significant new electricity generation over the coming decades.

Hydro, like every other utility in the world has recognized this fact. Around the world, new generating capacity is being built. Countries that have access to hydroelectric potential are building dams and planning for the future. Other countries, without the natural advantage rivers provide, are building nuclear energy capacity. And yes, in almost all those countries solar and wind generating capacity are being developed as quickly as possible.

All that additional energy capacity is needed to fuel our endless need for technology, data storage and a thousand other things. Quickly moving to electric vehicles from combustion engines will also drive up demand.

Although it is tempting to think that ever larger and better battery storage will help, it will only help in how energy is distributed. The introduction of more and better battery storage is not likely to limit the total demand for energy. The enthusiasm for battery storage is understandable, but it is certainly possible that battery storage will effectively increase our use of energy, simply because it can be so reliably accessed from our battery storage systems.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Could renewed interest in strategically critical rare earth elements finally make sub-sector profitable?

Joel Schlesinger 6 minute read Preview

Could renewed interest in strategically critical rare earth elements finally make sub-sector profitable?

Joel Schlesinger 6 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Rare earth elements are among the most critical of mined resources for modern economies.

They’re essential in manufacturing specialized magnets used in a host of technologies from wind turbines and electric vehicles to hard drives, smartphones, television screens, and fibre optics. Most notably, however, rare earth minerals are increasingly vital to the defence industry.

These 17 elements — closely related chemically and usually found all together in mineral deposits — have indeed been growing in geopolitical importance as the United States, Canada and other Western nations recognize their dependence on production from China.

It is the world’s largest producer and processor of rare earths, including the most in-demand elements neodymium and praseodymium used to manufacture very light and powerful magnets for an array of technologies, including the most advanced weapons of modern warfare.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026