Millennium Library workers’ union demands action on safety following suicide

The union representing Millennium Library workers says it’s considering taking legal action against the city to more quickly implement safety changes after a man died by suicide at the downtown library last week.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 11/08/2025 (377 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The union representing Millennium Library workers says it’s considering taking legal action against the city to more quickly implement safety changes after a man died by suicide at the downtown library last week.

The city’s main library branch was closed from Thursday to Saturday afternoon after a 40-year-old man was found with “significant injuries” Wednesday evening. Medics were called to the scene and he died in hospital. Police described the incident as “non-suspicious” at the time; sources confirmed to the Free Press Monday that the man jumped from the fourth floor.

Gord Delbridge, the president of CUPE Local 500, said the union will be sending letters to Mayor Scott Gillingham, city council and city administration to formally demand planned safety improvements — including a redesign of the facility’s lobby — are expedited.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES 
A 40-year-old man has died after sources say he jumped from a fourth-floor ledge in the city's largest library. In 2017, a 25-year-old man died in hospital after he, too, jumped from the fourth floor.
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES

A 40-year-old man has died after sources say he jumped from a fourth-floor ledge in the city's largest library. In 2017, a 25-year-old man died in hospital after he, too, jumped from the fourth floor.

The lobby redesign, approved in the fall of 2023 in an effort to improve sightlines for security personnel, staff and community support workers, does not have a construction start date.

Delbridge said the union plans to “consult with legal” options unless the city takes quick action.

“We’re going to do everything in our power to ensure that this is not something that gets swept under the rug and we just carry on,” he told the Free Press.

“We’re not going to let this go.”

Delbridge met with library staff Monday to discuss last week’s incident.

He said there have been concerns raised about private contracted security at the library; he wants to see a shift to community safety officers trained and managed by the city.

“You want to make sure you have the right people, professional people that you’re investing in, as opposed to trying to accept a proposal from the lowest bidder on a private contractor,” he said. “The city needs to invest in themselves.”

The union is going to the provincial government in hopes of securing funding to bring back Community Connections, a space in the library lobby that was staffed by library and community crisis workers and provided people seeking help with low-barrier supports and referrals to other organizations before it was cut from the city’s 2025 budget and closed. It cost $628,000 to operate the space for a year.

“Should a librarian be coming to work feeling scared, threatened, having to deal with these traumatic incidents that are taking place there? Maybe, if there was that Community Connections (space) there, would this individual have, maybe, stopped in there and spoken to someone first?” Delbridge said.

“We’re going to do everything in our power to ensure that this is not something that gets swept under the rug and we just carry on.”–Gord Delbridge

In an email Monday, Gillingham said he would focus on “continuing to work with (CUPE) to improve safety at all city facilities.”

“Without knowing (the man’s) circumstances, it wouldn’t be right to speculate about what might have made a difference…. As we plan for future redesigns of the library, we’ll look for ways to make it safer while still ensuring it works for the staff and customers who use it every day,” he said.

He pointed to existing safety investments, including an enhanced security system and metal detector, community crisis workers available by appointment and the Downtown Community Safety Partnership working in the former Community Connections space.

In a June council meeting, city staff told the standing policy committee on community services there was “no partnership” between Millennium Library and DCSP.

Questions from the Free Press to the city’s media centre on security staffing and the proposed redesign of the lobby were not answered by press time.

In 2017, a 25-year-old man jumped from the fourth floor in the library and later died in hospital.

John Samson Fellows was the Winnipeg Public Library’s writer-in-residence from 2016-17, along with partner Christine Fellows, and was working out of Millennium Library when the man jumped.

He recalled the “moving” level of support he and his partner received from the library, including an offer of counselling despite their status as contract workers, not staff.

“After that happened, I never went to the fourth floor again,” said Samson Fellows, a noted songwriter and musician in Winnipeg bands the Weakerthans and Propagandhi.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES 
A lobby redesign for Millennium Library was approved in 2023 but construction has yet to begin.
MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES

A lobby redesign for Millennium Library was approved in 2023 but construction has yet to begin.

In his ensuing work in library activism, he said Millennium Library staff, patrons and other supporters had called for renovations to the balcony railings to prevent another incident, but those calls were ignored.

“I think it tells us that the city has its priorities wrong, that they don’t prioritize Winnipeggers in their budgets, and that they’ve starved our library system over the years to such a degree that it’s it’s become really precarious,” he said.

Joe Curnow, a spokesperson for library advocacy group Millennium For All, called last week’s incident a tragic chapter in a “persistent story from city council of underfunding evidence-based approaches to safety.”

“City council seems unwilling to invest in anything that we know would actually make people safer, and that’s things like increasing the staffing levels, that’s things like Community Connections, that’s things like investing in the infrastructure.”

She said the fourth-floor railings have been a “persistent source of concern” for library staff.

malak.abas@freepress.mb.ca

Malak Abas

Malak Abas
Reporter

Malak Abas is a city reporter at the Free Press. Born and raised in Winnipeg’s North End, she led the campus paper at the University of Manitoba before joining the Free Press in 2020. Read more about Malak.

Every piece of reporting Malak produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Swede leads Manitoba Open, Winnipegger sits 33rd

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Swede leads Manitoba Open, Winnipegger sits 33rd

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Yesterday at 6:53 PM CDT

From Lars-Erik Sjoberg to Thomas Steen to Viggo Bjorck, there’s no shortage of Swedish athletes who have quickly become fan favourites here in Winnipeg.

Daniel Svard is hoping to add his name to the growing list.

Although he wields a golf club and not a hockey stick, the 23-year-old from Stockholm is opening plenty of eyes this week at Elmhurst. He carries a two-shot lead into Sunday’s final round of the Manitoba Open, looking to close out his first professional victory in his just his fourth career tournament.

Svard fired a six-under 66 on Saturday to move to 14-under through 54 holes of the PGA Tour Americas event.

Read
Yesterday at 6:53 PM CDT

Kinew’s message for PM: don’t back down

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Preview

Kinew’s message for PM: don’t back down

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Let it be known that when Canada’s provinces and alcohol industries needed a defender, Canada’s first First Nations provincial premier was their greatest warrior.

This is, admittedly, a provocative opening line — referencing historical and cultural intersections and relying on a stereotype or two.

It’s impossible, however, not to see how important the nearly Canada-wide provincial-led ban on the sale of U.S. alcohol is to Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew.

It’s due to his stand on national matters like these that he’s become very popular — according to polls, the most popular premier in Canada — and has been empowered to take on the mantle of one of the captains of “Team Canada” on economic, political and domestic issues.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Residents fear mailbox crime sprees

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Preview

Residents fear mailbox crime sprees

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Some North End residents are concerned new community mailboxes will become a target for vandalism and crime after the base of one was recently lit ablaze — before it was even installed.

The community mailboxes started to show up on Andrews Street within the last two weeks. Some have been installed, while at other locations, only the concrete foundation is in place.

“They just dumped them on the boulevard,” said Stephen Giesbrecht, who lives beside one of the boxes in the St. John’s neighbourhood. “They dumped them on the corner and then they were gone.”

One of the concrete slabs has already played host to a fire and some of the hardware needed to install the mailbox melted.

Read
Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Preview

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

In February 2025, Manitoba (and most other provinces) pulled American liquor from store shelves as part of the ongoing trade dispute with the United States.

Then in December, the province followed a similar course to others and put American booze that was already on hand back on shelves, selling off inventory that had been wasting away in warehouses for months, and directing proceeds from those sales to charities.

Lineups sprung up at numerous stores as consumers snapped up bestselling American products — think Maker’s Mark, Jack Daniel’s, Apothic Red and the like. After that initial rush, what was left has been languishing on shelves ever since, with many products eventually being drastically discounted for a quick sale, lest they become too long in the tooth.

I decided early on not to write about/review U.S. products in this space until things were well and truly sorted. But a few months back, I found myself in the mood for a big, oaky red wine and — in a moment of weakness, or nostalgia, or maybe just curiosity — I picked up a $30-ish California Cabernet Sauvignon.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Wooed by wood, Cedarella founder takes pride in handcrafted designs

David Sanderson 8 minute read Preview

Wooed by wood, Cedarella founder takes pride in handcrafted designs

David Sanderson 8 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Marina Bulan is the founder of Cedarella, a two-year-old venture that turns out eye-catching wood products such as jewelry, kitchen decor, children’s toys and, most recently, metre-high outdoor planters that double as home street-number indicators.

Ahead of immigrating to Winnipeg a decade ago from their native Russia, Bulan and her partner thought it would be prudent to conduct some research on their soon-to-be new home, a city they knew next to nothing about.

Imagine their surprise as they were viewing the 2007 surrealist film My Winnipeg, which comically blends historical facts about our burg with what Winnipeg-born writer/director Guy Maddin has termed “mystical hypothesizing.”

(For instance, there is no proof that, as reported in the award-winning flick, Winnipeg is the sleepwalking capital of the world, and that residents keep keys to their former abodes on their person in the event they turn up there during a bout of somnambulism.)

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Bombers offence stalls in 22-19 loss to Elks

Joshua Frey-Sam 8 minute read Preview

Bombers offence stalls in 22-19 loss to Elks

Joshua Frey-Sam 8 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:19 AM CDT

It was a microcosm of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ season to this point: a first half that burned bright only to be doused in cold water.

The Bombers began the first leg of their mid-season gauntlet with a 22-19 loss to the Edmonton Elks at Commonwealth Stadium in the Alberta capital on Friday night.

Elks quarterback Cody Fajardo orchestrated an eight-play, 54-yard drive that set up a 40-yard game-winning field goal by Vincent Blanchard that snuck inside the left upright with zeros on the clock.

The drive, which was plagued by poor tackling by the Bombers defence, came after Bombers kicker Sergio Castillo tied the game at 19-19 on a 53-yard boot with 1:41 remaining in the contest.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:19 AM CDT