‘An eye for an eye’ Year after serial killer sentenced, Shingoose family, friends get day in court to voice excruciating pain

Surrounded by loved ones in a Winnipeg court Friday, the father of a slain First Nation woman spoke of the pain of his loss and the desperation it caused, his voice taut with sadness and anger.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 15/08/2025 (371 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Surrounded by loved ones in a Winnipeg court Friday, the father of a slain First Nation woman spoke of the pain of his loss and the desperation it caused, his voice taut with sadness and anger.

Manitoba’s Court of King’s Bench held an unusual hearing Friday to hear from the family and community of Ashlee Christine Shingoose, a year after Jeremy Skibicki was sentenced to life with no chance of parole for 25 years for killing her and three other First Nations women in 2022.

“It’s been a tough, tough year for us family… The court failed me,” her father, Albert Shingoose, told King’s Bench Chief Justice Glenn Joyal, in a voice that boomed through the room, distraught over the fact his daughter’s killer did not appear at the hearing.

“If he was here, your honour, I would have said to him, ‘I want an eye for an eye.’”

JOHN WOODS / THE CANADIAN PRESS
Albert and Theresa Shingoose, parents of Ashlee Shingoose, who was murdered by Jeremy Skibicki, are greeted by supporters outside the Manitoba Law Courts after they presented their victim impact statements to the court on Friday.
JOHN WOODS / THE CANADIAN PRESS

Albert and Theresa Shingoose, parents of Ashlee Shingoose, who was murdered by Jeremy Skibicki, are greeted by supporters outside the Manitoba Law Courts after they presented their victim impact statements to the court on Friday.

Shingoose, a 30-year-old from St. Theresa Point First Nation, was identified after the trial as one of Skibicki’s victims. She is believed to have been killed in March 2022.

During the trial and sentencing last year, Shingoose, whose remains had yet to be identified, was referred to as Mashkode Bizhiki’ikwe, or Buffalo Woman, a name given by Indigenous elders.

FACEBOOK
Ashlee Shingoose
FACEBOOK

Ashlee Shingoose

“It’s so painful, what has happened,” Shingoose’s mother Theresa Shingoose told court, her voice halting and quiet. She said it was healing when police, this week, gave the family the jacket her daughter was last seen wearing.

In a written statement, which was read by St. Theresa Point Chief Raymond Flett, Albert Shingoose said he travelled to Winnipeg from the family’s home in St. Theresa Point after his daughter disappeared, spending months searching for her.

“We knew something terrible had happened. We felt it in our hearts,” Flett read.

“We felt like we were left to search on our own.”

Albert Shingoose long believed his daughter was Skibicki’s unidentified victim, but said no one would listen.

“For the longest time, Ashlee remained unidentified, while we were out here, screaming into silence,” Flett read.

The chief also read out a statement on behalf of the community.

“Her death has broken our hearts and shaken our community,” said Flett.

“To the person responsible, you took Ashlee from us. But you’ll never take away her spirit. We will speak her name, we will remember her love, we will keep her memory alive. You have brought darkness, but her light will continue to shine in our hearts forever.”

JOHN WOODS / THE CANADIAN PRESS
Albert Shingoose, father of Ashlee Shingoose, is comforted outside the Manitoba Law Courts before they entereto present victim impact statements to the court on Friday.
JOHN WOODS / THE CANADIAN PRESS

Albert Shingoose, father of Ashlee Shingoose, is comforted outside the Manitoba Law Courts before they entereto present victim impact statements to the court on Friday.

As Shingoose had yet to be identified, her family and friends did not get the chance to provide statements to the court at Skibicki’s sentencing, as the families of Rebecca Contois, 24, Morgan Harris, 39, and Marcedes Myran, 26, did.

Winnipeg police homicide detectives used DNA, in conjunction with Skibicki identifying photos of Shingoose as his first victim after his sentencing, to confirm who Buffalo Woman was.

After she was publicly identified in March, Crown prosecutors raised the idea of the special sitting to put the family and community’s victim impact statements on the court record, to which Joyal agreed.

Shingoose’s body has not yet been found, but a preliminary search began at the Brady Road landfill, where police believe the remains of Shingoose were taken, Premier Wab Kinew said earlier this week.

Skibicki, who’s in his late 30s, targeted women at homeless shelters and disposed of their bodies in garbage bins. He admitted the killings to homicide detectives, after the partial remains of Contois were discovered by a passerby in a bin in May 2022.

He gave police the name of an individual he thought was Buffalo Woman, but she turned out to be alive, and the unidentified woman’s name remained unknown.

JOHN WOODS / THE CANADIAN PRESS
A small group of women drum for Albert and Theresa Shingoose, parents of Ashlee Shingoose, as they leave the Manitoba Law Courts Friday.
JOHN WOODS / THE CANADIAN PRESS

A small group of women drum for Albert and Theresa Shingoose, parents of Ashlee Shingoose, as they leave the Manitoba Law Courts Friday.

The rest of Contois’s remains were found at Brady landfill in 2022, while the remains of Harris and Myran were recovered earlier this year at the Prairie Green landfill, north of the city.

Addressing the packed courtroom before the proceedings began, Joyal said the court had no jurisdiction to order or insist the serial killer attend.

Among those in the gallery were family members of Skibicki’s other victims and their supporters, as well as senior Winnipeg police officials.

Lawyer Peter Kingsley, who’s the executive director of Legal Aid Manitoba, appeared as the killer’s counsel at the hearing. He said Skibicki did not attend out of a “firm belief” his presence would further harm his victims’ loved ones.

JOHN WOODS / THE CANADIAN PRESS
Albert Shingoose, father of Ashlee Shingoose, gestures in front of a banner for missing person Tanya Nepinak as he leaves the Manitoba Law Courts Friday.
JOHN WOODS / THE CANADIAN PRESS

Albert Shingoose, father of Ashlee Shingoose, gestures in front of a banner for missing person Tanya Nepinak as he leaves the Manitoba Law Courts Friday.

Joyal said holding the hearing, which had “no or little precedent,” was appropriate and necessary in the exceptional circumstances of the case, to give Shingoose’s family and community “some measure of comfort.”

Joyal also said the special hearing served as an opportunity for reconciliation between the justice system and Indigenous people, in a case that has been emblematic of the crisis of missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls in Manitoba and across Canada.

“This hearing presents this court with an opportunity to try to respond to one of the inherent challenges at the heart of this crisis — that so many Indigenous women and girls are both murdered and missing, that they simply disappear, leaving behind broken families and devastated communities,” said Joyal.

“This reality beseeches us — where circumstances allow — to make special efforts, to use the tools available to the courts, to honour and commemorate identity, to acknowledge personhood.”

erik.pindera@freepress.mb.ca

Erik Pindera

Erik Pindera
Reporter

Erik Pindera is a reporter for the Free Press, mostly focusing on crime and justice. The born-and-bred Winnipegger attended Red River College Polytechnic, wrote for the community newspaper in Kenora, Ont. and reported on television and radio in Winnipeg before joining the Free Press in 2020.  Read more about Erik.

Every piece of reporting Erik produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Preview

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Updated: 11:19 AM CDT

An Interlake teacher with a history of “intimidating” outbursts has been ordered to participate in counselling and study anger-management strategies after he made a child cry.

Read
Updated: 11:19 AM CDT

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Preview

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Yesterday at 8:02 PM CDT

A rural Manitoba MLA says he has heard from constituents who are “shocked and outraged” that a 66-year-old man is facing charges after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property.

Read
Yesterday at 8:02 PM CDT

Vance weighs in on Jivani trade advocacy and how Carney tried to ‘out-tough’ Trump

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Vance weighs in on Jivani trade advocacy and how Carney tried to ‘out-tough’ Trump

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: 8:49 AM CDT

WASHINGTON - U.S. Vice-President JD Vance weighed in on the latest trade deal with Canada at a fundraising event Wednesday, saying Prime Minister Mark Carney tried to "out-tough" President Donald Trump while crediting his longtime friend Conservative MP Jamil Jivani as a helpful advocate for Canada.

In audio from the fundraiser in Southampton, N.Y., which was provided to The Canadian Press by a source who attended the private function, Vance said Carney is a "very sweet guy" and he gets along with him quite well.

But, Vance said, Carney "comes in and puffs his chest out and says, 'I'm going to, like, out-tough Donald Trump.'"

"It's hilarious because Carney presents this as some victory for Canada when fundamentally, like, they climb down on a lot of issues," Vance told the room.

Read
Updated: 8:49 AM CDT

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 3 minute read Preview

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 3 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

This weekend, the Mole Mobile will set up shop at three Winnipeg Walmart locations. The mobile clinic will have certified dermatologists on site to screen suspicious-looking moles or lesions for skin cancer.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT