Larocque, Tabin to rep the Maple Leaf Pair of Manitobans named to women’s Olympic hockey roster

A pair of Manitobans are heading to the Winter Olympics as members of the Canadian women’s hockey team.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 09/01/2026 (221 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A pair of Manitobans are heading to the Winter Olympics as members of the Canadian women’s hockey team.

Ste. Anne’s Jocelyne Larocque and Winnipegger Kati Tabin were included in the 23-person roster announced on Friday afternoon. Canada will look to repeat as gold medallists when the 10-nation tournament gets underway in Milan Feb. 5.

This will be the fourth straight Games for the 37-year-old Larocque, who currently patrols the blue line for the Ottawa Charge of the PWHL. She has gold medals from Beijing (2022) and Sochi (2014) and a silver from Pyeongchang (2018).

Tabin, 28, gets to compete on the biggest stage in sports for the first time. She is in her third season of playing defence with the Montreal Victoire of the PWHL.

Both women were considered on the bubble to make the squad, especially after the Americans dominated them in four Rivalry Series games held in November and December. Canada went 0-4, getting outscored 24-7 in the process.

At Friday’s news conference to unveil the squad, team officials suggested those results will only serve as additional motivation for the squad now heading to Italy.

The Canadian squad includes 16 returning members from 2022 including the incomparable Marie-Philip Poulin and other decorated stars such as Natalie Spooner, Sarah Nurse, Renata Fast and Brianna Jenner. Seven players, including Tabin, will be making their Olympic debut.

“We are confident we have selected a highly motivated and eager group who take great pride and passion in wearing the Maple Leaf,” said general manager Gina Kingsbury. “It has been a long four-year journey for our entire team, and we are excited for the opportunity to compete for a gold medal at the Olympics.”

OTTAWA CHARGE PHOTO
                                Ste. Anne's Jocelyne Larocque currently plays for the PWHL’s Ottawa Charge.

OTTAWA CHARGE PHOTO

Ste. Anne's Jocelyne Larocque currently plays for the PWHL’s Ottawa Charge.

Larocque may be getting up there in years, but she told the Free Press last year she was soaking in every moment of skating in what she believes is a golden era in women’s hockey — from having their own league to the Olympic showcase every four years.

“I get to experience what we fought for,” she said. “When I was a kid, people would tell me that I couldn’t play professional hockey because I was a girl. Now, girls can. I feel lucky and I feel grateful. It gives me a lot of joy.”

Larocque was the first female to ever play in the Winnipeg High School Boys league back in 2003 and went on to play four years with the University of Minnesota-Duluth before graduating and turning pro in 2011.

“I don’t focus on my age,” she said. “I mean, it does take work — eating properly, staying in shape, all those things. And I might be a little more sore after games. But I actually think I’m getting better every year.”

As for Tabin, patience clearly paid off. She nearly walked away from the sport on two occasions — the first time after the COVID-19 pandemic robbed her of the tail end of her senior season in the NCAA with Quinnipiac University in 2020, the second after graduating with two degrees and being uncertain about what options might be available in pro hockey.

Mike Thiessen / FREE PRESS FILES
                                Winnipeg’s Kati Tabin currently plays for the PWHL’s Montreal Victoire.

Mike Thiessen / FREE PRESS FILES

Winnipeg’s Kati Tabin currently plays for the PWHL’s Montreal Victoire.

Fortunately she stuck with it — something she celebrated when speaking with the Free Press last summer at the Olympic orientation camp in Calgary where 30 hockey hopefuls were brought together.

“Looking back, I needed that. I needed to step away to realize that I really want this badly, if that makes sense. At the time, I didn’t know that. There were not very many opportunities to play anywhere and I didn’t have much money leaving college,” she recalled.

“Do you go play in a league and make maybe $5,000 or do you get a real job? In my brain, it was get a real job and hockey is over. Looking back at that and thinking about quitting is insane, but it’s just part of my journey.”

At the time, Tabin said getting to team up with Larocque and representing Manitoba while wearing the Maple Leaf would be a dream come true.

“I’ve looked up to her for so long. Not only in this league, but past leagues, the Olympics, worlds, the Rivalry Series (between Canada and the U.S.). It’s crazy the amount of achievements that she has, so it’s really cool to have someone here like her to look up to but also compete against,” said Tabin.

Graham Hughes / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES
                                Defender Kati Tabin will make her Olympic debut in Italy in February.

Graham Hughes / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES

Defender Kati Tabin will make her Olympic debut in Italy in February.

Larocque has three assists in 10 games this season for Ottawa, which sits tied for last place in the eighth team league going into Friday’s action. Tabin has one goal and three assists in nine games for Montreal, which is currently fifth, one point ahead of Larocque’s Charge, in the standings.

Local hockey fans will have the chance to celebrate Larocque and Tabin in person when their teams meet at Canada Life Centre on March 22 as part of the PWHL Takeover Tour. Perhaps they will have some gold medals to show off that night?

Canada has won gold five of seven times since women’s hockey made its Olympic debut in Nagano, Japan, in 1998. This year, they will be with the other top four seeds in the world — the United States, Finland, Switzerland and Czechia — in Pool A.

The other five nations — Sweden, Germany, Japan, France and host Italy — are all in Group B. Following round-robin play, eight of the 10 teams — all five in Pool A and the top three in Pool B — advance to the quarterfinals. The semifinals will be held on Feb. 16, with the puck dropping on the gold and bronze medal contests Feb. 19.

The news wasn’t as positive for a couple other Manitobans who were considered longshots. Vancouver Goldeneyes captain Ashton Bell of Deloraine, who won gold with the 2022 Olympic team, didn’t make the cut. Nor did Bell’s Goldeneyes teammate, goaltender Kristen Campbell of Brandon.

SUPPLIED
                                This will be defender Jocelyne Larocque’s fourth trip to the Olympics, having won gold twice at the 2022 Beijing and 2014 Sochi Games and silver in Peyongchang in 2018.

SUPPLIED

This will be defender Jocelyne Larocque’s fourth trip to the Olympics, having won gold twice at the 2022 Beijing and 2014 Sochi Games and silver in Peyongchang in 2018.

www.winnipegfreepress.com/mikemcintyre

Mike McIntyre

Mike McIntyre
Reporter

Mike McIntyre is a sports reporter whose primary role is covering the Winnipeg Jets. After graduating from the Creative Communications program at Red River College in 1995, he spent two years gaining experience at the Winnipeg Sun before joining the Free Press in 1997, where he served on the crime and justice beat until 2016. Read more about Mike.

Every piece of reporting Mike produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Oliveira shines in win over Redblacks, Collaros rocked again

Taylor Allen 6 minute read Preview

Oliveira shines in win over Redblacks, Collaros rocked again

Taylor Allen 6 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

It wasn’t a stellar performance by any stretch.

But at this point, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers will take a win no matter what it looks like.

The Blue and Gold outlasted the winless Ottawa Redblacks 33-21 on a rainy Friday night at Princess Auto Stadium to improve to 5-4.

“It’s great to finally get a win at home for our fans and to go out and play a better game is very encouraging,” said right guard Patrick Neufeld.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Kuntz qualifies to join two other Winnipeggers at the Manitoba Open

Mike McIntyre 5 minute read Preview

Kuntz qualifies to join two other Winnipeggers at the Manitoba Open

Mike McIntyre 5 minute read 6:11 PM CDT

The Manitoba Open will have plenty of local flavour when it tees off this week at Elmhurst.

Three Winnipeggers are in the field of 156, which primarily features PGA Tour Americas members from around the world competing in one of North America’s oldest golf tournaments, starting Thursday and running through Sunday.

Rory Neill punched his ticket earlier this summer by winning the Manitoba Amateur, which comes with an automatic berth. It’s a huge step for the 22-year-old, who is a member at Glendale.

A second sponsor’s exemption went to Ryan McMillan, who gets to play his home course. McMillan, 27, works as an assistant pro at Elmhurst in addition to being the University of Manitoba’s golf coach. He’s also a decorated amateur player, having won back-to-back provincial junior titles in 2017 and 2018. His uncle, Rob, won the Open in 1996.

Read
6:11 PM CDT

Manitoba honey industry buzzing as U.S. tariff clock ticks

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Preview

Manitoba honey industry buzzing as U.S. tariff clock ticks

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read 6:11 PM CDT

Canadian product is being rushed to the United States ahead of a threatened 50 per cent tariff on the industry.

Read
6:11 PM CDT

Manitoba man lied about abduction: N.D. police

Scott Billeck 2 minute read 3:17 PM CDT

U.S. authorities say a Manitoba man falsely claimed he had been kidnapped and taken across the Canada-U.S. border over the weekend.

Roderick Garson, 37, is being held in a county jail near Alexandria, Minn., after he was arrested and charged with falsely reporting a crime.

The arrest stems from a report police received Saturday that a man had been abducted with a weapon in Manitoba and taken across the border into the United States.

The investigation led U.S. authorities to Alexandria, about two hours northwest of Minneapolis, where police located the reported victim and suspect after the latter ran into a local store claiming he had escaped from his 31-year-old unnamed captor.

Manitoba family finalist for cattle producers environmental award

Aaron Epp 4 minute read Preview

Manitoba family finalist for cattle producers environmental award

Aaron Epp 4 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

A family in western Manitoba is one of seven finalists for a national environmental award honouring beef cattle producers.

Connor and Kyla English, alongside Connor’s parents, Brian and Leanne English, are nominated for the Canadian Cattle Association’s Environmental Stewardship Award. The 30-year-old award is presented to beef farmers and ranchers who explore innovative ways to protect, preserve and enhance their operations and the environment simultaneously.

This year’s recipient will be announced on Wednesday during a banquet at the Canadian Beef Industry Conference in Winnipeg.

The English family’s roots near Bradwardine — about 265 kilometres west of Winnipeg — date back to 1898. Today, Connor, Kyla, Brian and Leanne manage a herd of about 320 breeding cows on nearly 445 hectares (1,100 acres) of owned and rented pasture and forage land.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Preview

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

A Winnipeg foster mother has admitted to violently assaulting her ill foster daughter and leaving her paralyzed after the girl resisted the woman’s efforts to provide her with medication, a court has heard.

Marilyn Keno, 26, pleaded guilty Friday to one count of aggravated assault.

Keno remains in custody and will be sentenced at a later date following the completion of a court-ordered pre-sentence report.

The maximum sentence for aggravated assault is 14 years in prison. Crown attorney Alanna Littman and defence lawyer Jeremy Kostiuk did not disclose what sentences they will be recommending.

Read
Friday, Aug. 14, 2026