Tearing down Portage Place to build it up ‘Deconstruction’ project on time, on budget as developers dream of vibrant downtown

One “bite” at a time, a hulking piece of machinery is dismantling Portage Place’s east block to make way for a new health-care tower that will soon begin to rise.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 27/01/2026 (206 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

One “bite” at a time, a hulking piece of machinery is dismantling Portage Place’s east block to make way for a new health-care tower that will soon begin to rise.

It’s the most visible stage so far of a $650-million project to transform the slumping downtown mall into a community hub that will also have a highrise apartment building, grocery store and green space.

“This isn’t really demolition. It’s deconstruction,” said David Van Hooren, senior construction manager at PCL Construction, during a tour of work that was happening on the east side of the Portage Avenue site, between Edmonton and Carlton streets, on Tuesday.

“By the end of 2026, people will see visible signs of what this building will look like.”

True North Real Estate Development — an arm of the company that owns the Winnipeg Jets — acquired the mall in 2024. The 1.2-million-square-foot redevelopment, led by PCL Construction, began last year.

The project is on time and on budget, said Sean Kavanagh, senior director of strategic communications with True North Sports and Entertainment.

Recalling more vibrant days of decades past, he said the redevelopment, along with several other projects, will bring thousands of residents and visitors downtown by the end of 2028.

“I really believe we’re going to get back to that kind of level (of vibrancy) with all the increase in activity,” Kavanagh said.

The deconstruction work on Portage Place’s east side is what most people notice when they walk or drive by. The block is being converted into a 12-storey, 300,000-square-foot medical tower — the project’s opening phase — that will include primary care, mental health services and Pan Am Clinic programs.

MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS
                                A massive excavator, one of only eight in North America, dismantles Portage Place’s east block Tuesday, to make way for a new health-care tower.

MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS

A massive excavator, one of only eight in North America, dismantles Portage Place’s east block Tuesday, to make way for a new health-care tower.

The glass atrium at Portage and Edmonton was demolished, and its pedestrian bridges removed. In their place, Rakowski Cartage and Wrecking staff are using an ultra-high demolition excavator, with a claw at the end of its arm, to break apart a concrete shell that once contained stores and a food court.

“This equipment breaks the structure into bite-size pieces,” Van Hooren told reporters against the loud hum of the machine, while chunks of concrete and rebar fell to the ground, in biting -20 C cold.

Crews will preserve as much of the low-rise structure as possible, including floor slabs, columns and a stairwell.

“We’re taking this apart very carefully. What’s left is going to be used in the new health-care facility,” Van Hooren said.

About 75 per cent of the material that is removed will be recycled.

The former atrium will become an outdoor pedestrian corridor — linking Portage and Ellice avenues — and a one-way vehicle drop-off zone for the health-care tower.

“I really believe we’re going to get back to that kind of level (of vibrancy) with all the increase in activity.”

The deconstruction is expected to wrap up in about four to five weeks, giving way to construction of the highrise, which is being called a Healthcare Centre of Excellence. A tower crane will go up in the spring.

Construction of the 15-storey, multi-family housing tower, located on the west side of the property at Portage and Vaughan Street, will begin later this winter, Kavanagh said.

The highrise will have more than 200 units, up to 40 per cent of which will be designated affordable.

True North and the Southern Chiefs’ Organization partnered to create a non-profit called TN-SCO 92 Inc., which will manage the units.

Van Hooren said 62 workers were on site Tuesday. The number will rise to more than 300 per day by summer’s end. Thousands of workers will contribute to the project by the time it is complete, he said.

The nearly 123-year-old clock that was displayed in the atrium is in storage. The city asset will be displayed in public again, although it’s too early to disclose the location, said Cindy Tugwell, executive director of Heritage Winnipeg.

MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS
                                David Van Hooren, senior construction manager for PCL, walks past support posts that are keeping the ceiling in place while demolition continues on the upper levels.

MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS

David Van Hooren, senior construction manager for PCL, walks past support posts that are keeping the ceiling in place while demolition continues on the upper levels.

“I can assure Winnipeggers it will be preserved,” she said. “It will again be part of the downtown and Exchange (District).”

Portage Place’s centre block, which includes stores, a Service Canada branch and Prairie Theatre Exchange, remains open to the public.

A new wall was built to separate the centre block from construction on the east side. The eastern portion of the parkade, which is off-limits to the public, contains thousands of shoring posts to support the weight of the work taking place above it.

Kavanagh said True North wanted to keep as much of the mall open as possible during the project.

“It was important for us to try to keep the heart pumping. A lot of people use the mall,” he said.

True North hopes to retain as many tenants as possible, Kavanagh added.

“We’re taking this apart very carefully. What’s left is going to be used in the new health-care facility.”

The centre block is in the consultation and design stages. A grocery store is envisioned as one of the project’s anchors. There will also be space for community centres and social agencies.

To make way for the apartment tower, the non-profit Pitikwé skateboard park moved out of a former Staples store on Portage Place’s main floor.

Kavanagh said the skate park is expected to reopen in March in the former Dayton Building, at 323 Portage Ave. (across from Canada Life Centre). It will be a temporary home, thanks to a partnership between True North, the province and Access Credit Union.

“We want a vibrant, healthy downtown. Recreational opportunities for young people are a critical part of that,” Kavanagh said.

The apartment tower will go up across from the former Bay building, which SCO is converting into a mixed-use space, including more than 370 housing units and a child-care centre. Expected to finish in 2028, the $310-million project is also led by Edmonton-based PCL Construction.

Mayor Scott Gillingham said downtown has a lot of exciting momentum, with the Portage Place redevelopment one of the “key anchor projects” currently underway.

MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS
                                The demolition work on Portage Place’s east side is to make way for a 12-storey, 300,000-square-foot medical tower that will include primary care, mental health services and Pan Am Clinic programs.

MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS

The demolition work on Portage Place’s east side is to make way for a 12-storey, 300,000-square-foot medical tower that will include primary care, mental health services and Pan Am Clinic programs.

“That space is a massive footprint that had been underperforming for years, and was really a drag on our downtown,” he said.

with files from Joyanne Pursaga

chris.kitching@freepress.mb.ca

Chris Kitching

Chris Kitching
Reporter

Chris Kitching is a general assignment reporter at the Free Press. He began his newspaper career in 2001, with stops in Winnipeg, Toronto and London, England, along the way. After returning to Winnipeg, he joined the Free Press in 2021, and now covers a little bit of everything for the newspaper. Read more about Chris.

Every piece of reporting Chris produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Preview

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read 6:07 PM CDT

An Interlake teacher with a history of “intimidating” outbursts has been ordered to participate in counselling and study anger-management strategies after he made a child cry.

Read
6:07 PM CDT

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read 6:37 PM CDT

The union representing Winnipeg Transit drivers says the need for full safety shields is critical after an operator was threatened with a hatchet early Thursday.

Read
6:37 PM CDT

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Preview

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Yesterday at 5:08 PM CDT

A long-awaited project will aim to add 115 new homes in Elmwood, with on-site social programs to support some of its more vulnerable residents.

Read
Yesterday at 5:08 PM CDT

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Preview

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Matriarchal influences run deep at House of Ma Kitchen and Bar.

Executive chef Dom Merano took inspiration from his mom’s home cooking while developing the menu for the new Exchange District restaurant — specifically Cynthia Merano’s recipes for lumpia (Filipino spring rolls) and kare-kare (braised beef and peanut stew).

“It tastes like home,” Merano says of the dishes, adding that his mom “felt honoured to be able to share her cooking with people. She was actually here prior to opening helping me roll lumpia.”

Cynthia’s photo is hung among the “Wall of Mas” at the back of the restaurant, where the mothers and grandmothers of True Hospitality staff are given pride of place.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026