Growing a spine… reputation Province injects $2.7M into Concordia Hospital’s cutting-edge spine centre of excellence

Carol Bigold went from being housebound and in agony to climbing a mountain six months after receiving the first high-tech minimally invasive spinal surgery at Concordia Hospital.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Carol Bigold went from being housebound and in agony to climbing a mountain six months after receiving the first high-tech minimally invasive spinal surgery at Concordia Hospital.

“The pain was so severe you had to just not do anything … It would always be there, even when you’re sleeping,” the 74-year-old hiker told a news conference Friday morning at the hospital, where Premier Wab Kinew announced the province was spending $2.7 million to expand the spinal surgery program, reducing wait times and speeding up patient recoveries.

Bigold had been sidelined in recent years by sciatic nerve pain until undergoing surgery last June. In December she hiked up a mountain in England’s Lake District.

“The pain was gone, basically, once the surgery was over,” she said. “The recovery time was just amazing.”

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
                                Carol Bigold was the first to receive the high-tech minimally invasive spinal surgery at Concordia Hospital.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Carol Bigold was the first to receive the high-tech minimally invasive spinal surgery at Concordia Hospital.

Concordia has been using what officials described as the world’s best technology to perform minimally invasive spinal surgeries since Bigold’s life-changing operation. It is now considered a spine centre of excellence.

“This is technology that really changes the game in terms of recovery, so folks are going to be able to go home the same day, maybe the next day,” Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara said.

Kinew said the spine centre of excellence is increasing efficiency, adding capacity, attracting surgeons to the province and improving Manitobans’ quality of life.

“Just the freedom to be able to live your life, to get outdoors during the wintertime, to be able to walk to the store is a huge part of having a high-quality of life, he said.

Dr. Ed Buchel, provincial surgery specialty lead with Shared Health, said 42 navigated-instrument spine surgeries have been performed at Concordia since the equipment was introduced in June.

The goal is to perform about 75 procedures per year to help reduce surgical wait times and lessen patients’ suffering.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
                                Dr. Ed Buchel says the technology will help to recruit more spine surgeons to Manitoba.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Dr. Ed Buchel says the technology will help to recruit more spine surgeons to Manitoba.

“We’re going to be looking at a significant increase in spine care at this site — not only more spine care, but better spine care,” Buchel said.

More than 1,000 spine surgeries were performed in Manitoba last year, which is 30 per cent more than in 2019, he said.

The new technology at Concordia and HSC uses advanced 3D imaging and precision guidance, said Dr. Jay Toor, an orthopedic spine surgeon.

“One of the biggest impacts that this has had is we’re now able to move moderately complex spine surgeries that were previously only being performed at (Health Sciences Centre) out of HSC and into Concordia Hospital,” Toor said.

“This is decanting and reducing the burden in our busiest centre, HSC, allowing us to focus on the more complex cases.”

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
                                Orthopedic spine surgeon Dr. Jay Toor.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Orthopedic spine surgeon Dr. Jay Toor.

Toor said Concordia is now able to provide the “most cutting-edge” surgery to patients — who spend less time in hospital recovering and are able to get back to their normal lives sooner — while improving efficiency within Manitoba’s health-care system.

“These traditional surgeries before this technology was brought in were very long incisions with a lot of blood loss, higher patient complications,” he said.

“Most of the surgeries that are being done now… patients are going home either the same day, the next day versus they were staying in the hospital for weeks after.”

Officials said Concordia has become the primary teaching centre in Canada for the equipment; surgeons from across the country and other parts of the world — including Brazil, Qatar and Turkey — fly to Winnipeg to learn about and observe procedures.

Buchel said the technology will help to recruit more spine surgeons to Manitoba. The province has already doubled the number in the last five years, with eight currently working in Winnipeg and two in Brandon.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
                                Dr. Jay Toor, orthopedic spine surgeon, shows Premier Wab Kinew how to use the new spinal surgery equipment at Concordia Hospital Friday.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Dr. Jay Toor, orthopedic spine surgeon, shows Premier Wab Kinew how to use the new spinal surgery equipment at Concordia Hospital Friday.

The expansion of Concordia’s program is being co-ordinated through Manitoba’s new spine clinic at HSC.

The NDP government announced a new provincial spine program in April 2024, with an initial $12 million in funding, to increase the number of surgeries, centralize wait lists and improve co-ordination.

Buchel said the Concordia expansion will take pressure off crowded emergency rooms and reduce wait times.

“They come in, they have severe pain, they can’t walk, they can’t pee, et cetera, et cetera,” he said.

”They don’t need to be in an emergency room for monitoring, but they need to be acutely seen by a spine surgeon.”

Patients are pulled from the emergency room and sent directly to the spine clinic for expedited imaging to determine whether surgery is needed, he said.

“We’ve cut down the wait time from sitting in the emergency room — sometimes for a day, sometimes longer than a day — to saying, ‘You’re stable, you can go to a clinic,’” Buchel said.

carol.sanders@freepress.mb.ca

chris.kitching@freepress.mb.ca

Carol Sanders

Carol Sanders
Legislature reporter

In 1997, Carol started at the Free Press working nights as a copy editor. In 2000, she jumped at a chance to return to reporting. In early 2020 — before a global pandemic was declared — she agreed to pitch in, temporarily, at the Free Press legislature bureau. She’s been there ever since.

Chris Kitching

Chris Kitching
Reporter

As a general assignment reporter, Chris covers a little bit of everything for the Free Press.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Friday, March 13, 2026 6:38 PM CDT: Updates with final version

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Seniors left hanging during Bell MTS outage: property manager

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Preview

Seniors left hanging during Bell MTS outage: property manager

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Updated: 9:52 AM CDT

Shelly Durham said when it comes to many of her elderly tenants of a downtown highrise apartment, their landline is their lifeline.

That lifeline was disconnected Tuesday after a copper cable that provides telephone service was cut Tuesday during construction work.

“It could be a matter of life and death,” said Durham, the building manager at Broadview Manor. “That’s the scary part.”

Manitoba Hydro spokesperson Peter Chura said a contractor working for the utility contacted the underground communications cable while installing a streetlight cable.

Read
Updated: 9:52 AM CDT

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 17 minute read Preview

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 17 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

On most days at Health Sciences Centre’s adult emergency department, all 58 treatment beds are filled with sick patients. Another dozen or so brought in by ambulance line the hallways on stretchers, with only one nurse to look after them.

Out in the waiting room, about 30 or 40 people — sometimes more — are slouched in chairs in pain or discomfort, waiting hours to see a doctor. Most have been assessed by a triage nurse, but many will have to wait 10 to 20 hours to be examined by a physician because there’s no room for them in the treatment area.

Some patients leave because they can no longer tolerate the excruciating wait, only to return days later, sicker than they were before.

Welcome to the emergency department at Manitoba’s largest hospital, where some of the highest-acuity patients seek medical care but now face delays that were unimaginable a few years ago.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Sunshine Fund guarantees a little magic in the summer

Grace Penner 4 minute read Preview

Sunshine Fund guarantees a little magic in the summer

Grace Penner 4 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

To this day, I still remember the morning polar plunges into Moose Lake — a cold shock to the system meant to wake campers up before the sun hit its peak.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read Preview

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read 5:14 PM CDT

Manitoba government and business leaders are rallying behind Prime Minister Mark Carney’s plan to fight back, after a sudden collapse of trade talks between the U.S. and Canada sparked a new salvo of U.S. tariffs on some Canadian goods.

On Saturday, after Carney vowed to respond with retaliatory tariffs, Manitoba premier Wab Kinew said his government stood “100 per cent” behind the prime minister’s plan to respond to what Kinew called U.S. president Donald Trump’s “unjustified and immoral” tariffs.

“History will not be kind to Donald Trump, so we should never appease him,” Kinew said. “We should fight back, which is what Canada is doing today.”

Kinew met reporters for a brief news conference at the legislature on Saturday afternoon, about an hour after finishing a call with Carney and the other premiers. There was a “really strong sense of unity” on that call, Kinew said, and emphasized that he backs the federal decision to “walk away from what would have been a bad deal.”

Read
5:14 PM CDT

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

The union representing Winnipeg Transit drivers says the need for full safety shields is critical after an operator was threatened with a hatchet early Thursday.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: 8:27 AM CDT

OTTAWA - A last-ditch effort to reach a new trade deal before a midnight tariff deadline failed Friday, as Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

The decision meant new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports to the U.S. took effect at 12:01 a.m., and Carney vowed Canada would retaliate with equal measures of its own.

"In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada's position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.," Carney said in a statement just before Trump's tariff deadline.

"However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians."

Read
Updated: 8:27 AM CDT