After first Brier win, Dunstone seeks more curling glory in men’s world championship

There was little afterglow from his first Brier win still fuelling Matt Dunstone as his team ramped up for the men's world curling championship.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

There was little afterglow from his first Brier win still fuelling Matt Dunstone as his team ramped up for the men’s world curling championship.

Dunstone, Colton Lott, E.J. Harnden and Ryan Harnden out of Winnipeg’s Granite Curling Club open the LGT Men’s World Championship on Friday afternoon against South Korea and at night against Italy in Ogden Utah.

Dunstone beat Alberta’s Kevin Koe on March 8 in St. John’s, N.L., for his first Canadian men’s championship, and also the first for Lott.

“A lot of relief has kind of settled in. It kind of feels like playing with house money now a little bit,” Dunstone said.

“I like the two weeks in between. It’s short and sweet and gives us enough time to quickly get our feet back on the ground again and keep on going.

“We’re very ready. We’ve played in a lot of big games this season. The entire field, nobody’s new to us.”

Dunstone last represented Canada over a decade ago when he won a world junior men’s title. Lott has worn the Maple Leaf in world mixed doubles with wife Kadriana.

The Harnden brothers have more international experience in men’s curling. They were world silver medallists in 2013 with their cousin Brad Jacobs, and won Olympic gold with him a year later.

“It’s been a while for me. Too long, as I’ve been telling people, 13 years,” Ryan Harnden said. “Things have changed for me. I’m better now than I ever was as a lead.”

From left: Matt Dunstone, Colton Lott , EJ Harnden, Ryan Harnden with the Tankard and their gold medals at the Montana's Brier Canadian men's curling championship, in St. John's, N.L., earlier this month. (Paul Daly / The Canadia Press)
From left: Matt Dunstone, Colton Lott , EJ Harnden, Ryan Harnden with the Tankard and their gold medals at the Montana's Brier Canadian men's curling championship, in St. John's, N.L., earlier this month. (Paul Daly / The Canadia Press)

E.J. Harnden was also a world silver medallist as Brad Gushue’s second in 2023 and 2024. The 42-year-old intends to retire after the world championship.

“I could not have written this any better,” he said. “To be able to win a Canadian championship in my last year of competitive curling, alongside my brother Ryan, and sharing that with Matt and Colton for their first Canadian championship, going to worlds, I have a ton of excitement.

“This just feels like it’s a bonus.”

Dunstone, who can return to the 2027 Montana’s Brier in Saskatoon as defending champion, will need to replace his second eventually.

“All I’m going to say on that matter is you’re going to hear from us after the worlds,” Dunstone said.

The top six countries among the 13 at the conclusion of pool play advance in Ogden.

The top two gain direct entry into the semifinals while the others play off to join them in the final four. The medal games are April 4.

The field includes seven-time world champion Niklas Edin of Sweden.

Edin’s third, Oskar Eriksson, accused Jacobs’ third Marc Kennedy of “double-touching” a stone during a game between the two countries in February’s Olympic Games.

Kennedy’s profanity-laced response went viral and spawned many social media memes.

Harnden doesn’t expect tension to carry over to Canada’s game Tuesday against Edin.

“I don’t think it has sort of any relation to our team and to what transpired,” he said.

“Have a great relationship with that team over the last number of years on the tour. Things happen in the high-pressure situations. I don’t see it becoming an issue or coming up in any way shape, or form, but who knows?”

Ryan and E.J. Harnden of Team Manitoba-Dunstone sweep the stone just thrown by skip Matt Dunstone during Page 1 vs. 2 qualifiers at the Montana's Brier Canadian men's curling championship, in St. John's, N.L. (Paul Daly / The Canadian Press)
Ryan and E.J. Harnden of Team Manitoba-Dunstone sweep the stone just thrown by skip Matt Dunstone during Page 1 vs. 2 qualifiers at the Montana's Brier Canadian men's curling championship, in St. John's, N.L. (Paul Daly / The Canadian Press)

Gushue skipped the last Canadian team to win a men’s world title in 2017 in Edmonton, and was a runner-up four times after that.

Gushue’s lead Geoff Walker is Canada’s alternate in Ogden. Dunstone has a savvy helping hand for tasks such as rock scouting.

“The biggest thing is to help these guys out and I owe them,” Walker said. “Both E.J. and Ryan have went into that role for us over the years and did a great job.

“I’d just like to see these guys win and help Canada out and bring a world title back to Canada. I’m going to do everything I can to try to make things easier on these guys and hopefully put some good rocks in their hands and get their coffees bright and early in the morning.”

In addition to Jacobs claiming Olympic men’s gold, Rachel Homan’s team earned women’s bronze in Cortina, Italy.

Manitoba’s Kerri Einarson took silver Sunday in the women’s world championship in Calgary.

“Canadian curling has been on a nice little stretch here,” Dunstone said. “I’m excited to be a part of that and hopefully continue that run that we’ve been on.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 26, 2026.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

An internal investigation by Manitoba’s Families Department is nearly complete in the case of a six-year-old girl who is paralyzed after being assaulted by her foster mother in Winnipeg.

The review by child-welfare officials is intended to prevent similar incidents, but it’s unlikely the public will learn the findings or recommendations.

“We’re working closely with the (child and family services) authority to make sure that every recommendation is taken seriously and implemented,” Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine said Monday.

“They’re important (investigations) because they help us identify what went wrong so we can make those changes to ensure something like this tragedy never happens again.”

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Pre-owned sets seller Romo’s Bricks seeks to click with Winnipeg’s Lego community

Aaron Epp 5 minute read Preview

Pre-owned sets seller Romo’s Bricks seeks to click with Winnipeg’s Lego community

Aaron Epp 5 minute read Yesterday at 8:17 PM CDT

There’s no mortar in sight but there are certainly thousands of bricks at a new brick-and-mortar store in Winnipeg catering to Lego enthusiasts.

Ashton Romaniuk and Madison Froome opened Romo’s Bricks in late spring. Located at 955 Milt Stegall Dr., in the same building as CanCentral Sports Cards & Memorabilia, the store specializes in selling pre-owned Lego sets, minifigures and other Lego-related products.

“It’s something we’re both passionate about,” Froome said.

To stock the store, she and Romaniuk spent $50,000 on four large Lego collections, purchased from local collectors. Romaniuk estimates that since the store opened on June 2, inventory has grown to $250,000 worth of Lego.

Read
Yesterday at 8:17 PM CDT

Liquor authority fines True North $12K after minors with fake ID served at Jets White Out party

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Liquor authority fines True North $12K after minors with fake ID served at Jets White Out party

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

True North Sports and Entertainment was hit with a $12,000 fine for serving minors with fake IDs during a Winnipeg Jets White Out street party in 2025.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A West Broadway landlord is off the hook for clearing a large riverbank encampment after the City of Winnipeg rescinded an order threatening to stick him with the cleanup bill.

Marvin Sharp, CEO of Astroid Management Ltd., which operates the Pen-Eve Apartments at 35 Balmoral St., said he received a call from the city Tuesday letting him know the order has been cancelled.

In a statement from the city, an official said the order was shelved due to an existing and active easement on the property.

“We have been communicating with the property owner throughout this process and they have been informed of this development,” a spokesperson said.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Preview

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A June 9 disciplinary decision found more than 39,000 doses went unaccounted for while Glen Pauch, who worked at a Portage la Prairie pharmacy, was consuming drugs and improperly dispensing controlled substances — including opioids oxycodone and hydromorphone, and Concerta, a stimulant prescribed for ADHD — to 11 patients.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026