New homeless camps off the table, province tells Main Street Project Finding proper shelter only option for publicly funded agency’s outreach workers; government to address difficult situations on case-by-case basis

The province has put Main Street Project on notice after agency workers were captured on video helping set up a homeless encampment in Point Douglas last week where one had recently been cleared.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/05/2025 (449 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The province has put Main Street Project on notice after agency workers were captured on video helping set up a homeless encampment in Point Douglas last week where one had recently been cleared.

Housing, Addictions and Homelessness Minister Bernadette Smith has directed MSP — one of the key players in the province’s Your Way Home strategy to end homelessness — and other service delivery organizations not to move people into encampments.

“I have talked to them about this situation,” Smith said in an interview with the Free Press Monday.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES
                                Minister of housing, addictions and homelessness Bernadette Smith has directed the Main Street Project and other service delivery organizations not to move people into encampments.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES

Minister of housing, addictions and homelessness Bernadette Smith has directed the Main Street Project and other service delivery organizations not to move people into encampments.

“Going forward, it’s from encampment to housing. The Your Way Home strategy outlines that pretty clearly,” she said.

The stated goal of Your Way Home, the two-year $20-million initiative announced by Premier Wab Kinew in January is moving people living outside into appropriate housing with needed supports, one camp at a time. The sites are to be cleaned up afterward, with city crews monitoring to ensure they’re not reoccupied.

“If there are situations where we don’t have housing available and there is an unsafe condition and there’s unique circumstances, then they are to get in touch with us and we will deal with those, case by case,” Smith said.

“All of the service delivery organizations have known that that is the strategy and, moving forward, that is what everyone needs to follow.”

A Point Douglas resident captured video last Tuesday of a Main Street Project outreach van dropping off two individuals, along with a tent, tarp, suitcases and other supplies. Two agency workers helped drag the equipment down to the riverbank and assisted in setting up the shelter.

The resident, Howard Warren, informed the Point Douglas Residents Committee, which composed a letter raising several neighbourhood concerns that was sent to MSP and copied to Kinew, Mayor Scott Gillingham, the Progressive Conservative housing critic, End Homelessness Winnipeg, the United Way and the Winnipeg Foundation.

Smith said both individuals in the encampment were moved into housing over the weekend.

“We are all on the same page that we need to get people into housing.”–Minister Bernadette Smith

MSP — a non-profit health organization largely funded with public money via various government programs and grants — has declined repeated Free Press requests for comment since the letter was revealed last Thursday; a promised statement Monday afternoon did not materialize.

Smith said she spoke to Gillingham Monday, and that he is “on board” with her directive to MSP executives.

“We are all on the same page that we need to get people into housing,” she said. “If housing isn’t available, and there are unique circumstances, we will deal with them as they arise.”

Earlier in the day at an unrelated event, Gillingham mentioned that End Homelessness Winnipeg — an Indigenous housing advocate organization responsible for distributing federal program funds — plans to convene a meeting of representatives from homelessness agencies, the province and city to discuss the Point Douglas Residents Committee’s concerns.

The matter was raised during question period in the Manitoba legislature Monday by Morden-Winkler MLA Carrie Hiebert, the Tories’ housing, addictions and homelessness critic, who wanted to know whether Smith could ensure no taxpayer dollars would be used to help set up new encampments.

Smith said rather than address the growing number of homeless people, the former PC government sold off social housing units, making matters worse.

“I’ve talked to some of those folks that are in encampments that were living in those units that are now getting wraparound supports,” she said afterward. “They’re on a path to whatever it is that they want to succeed at in their life, whether it’s reunification with their families or getting into a program so they can build their skills and get into the workforce or stable housing.”

SCOTT BILLECK / FREE PRESS
The site of a recent encampment along the waterfront in Point Douglas Monday.

SCOTT BILLECK / FREE PRESS

The site of a recent encampment along the waterfront in Point Douglas Monday.

“These are Manitobans that deserve to live in dignified housing. Manitobans were pretty clear they didn’t want to see folks living in encampments, bus shelters, under bridges. The previous government left people in those situations.

“We’re going to continue to support and get housing online and get people out of encampments with the supports they need.”

— With files from Joyanne Pursaga

carol.sanders@freepress.mb.ca

Carol Sanders

Carol Sanders
Legislature reporter

Carol Sanders is a reporter at the Free Press legislature bureau. The former general assignment reporter and copy editor joined the paper in 1997. Read more about Carol.

Every piece of reporting Carol produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

 

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Monday, May 26, 2025 6:50 PM CDT: Updates headline

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read 5:35 PM CDT

A West Broadway landlord is off the hook for clearing a large riverbank encampment after the City of Winnipeg rescinded an order threatening to stick him with the cleanup bill.

Marvin Sharp, CEO of Astroid Management Ltd., which operates the Pen-Eve Apartments at 35 Balmoral St., said he received a call from the city Tuesday letting him know the order has been cancelled.

In a statement from the city, an official said the order was shelved due to an existing and active easement on the property.

“We have been communicating with the property owner throughout this process and they have been informed of this development,” a spokesperson said.

Read
5:35 PM CDT

Ignore gossip, be good till girlfriend’s back

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: I am lonely to the bone. My girlfriend has been away working for the summer, and I promised I wouldn’t cheat on her. But now I have heard through the grapevine she’s seeing a guy who works at her kids’ camp.

I think the source can be trusted, because she’s a friend who cares about me, almost like a sister. Actually I think she kind of wants me herself, but never seems to cross that line. Should I believe her “inside information” when she might be wanting to go out with me herself?

My girlfriend won’t be back until the very end of August and the messages and phone calls back and forth have been less and less frequent. Maybe she’s just busy or getting rested up to see me — or maybe she’s seeing someone else. I’m feeling jealous and I hate it! Maybe I should see somebody else too. Please advise ASAP.

— Lonely and Suspicious, Transcona

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

Hannah Schoenbaum, The Associated Press 6 minute read Preview

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

Hannah Schoenbaum, The Associated Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 12:26 PM CDT

Hayden Panettiere, a onetime child star who soared to fame in the TV shows “Heroes” and “Nashville” while enduring struggles with alcohol addiction and depression, has died. She was 36.

Police said Panettiere was found unresponsive in an apartment in Greenville, South Carolina, shortly before 2 p.m. Sunday. Lifesaving measures were performed but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

No cause of death has been determined and Panettiere's death remains under investigation. An autopsy found no signs of trauma and police said officers saw no signs of foul play.

The television and film performer, who would have turned 37 on Friday, had been open about her private battles and wrote at length about them in the memoir, “This Is Me,” which came out in May. She described lifelong scars from her early fame, and acknowledged being addicted to alcohol and enduring postpartum depression after the birth of her daughter, Kaya, with Ukrainian boxer Wladimir Klitschko in 2014.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 12:26 PM CDT

Best to fess up about grandkid-sitting fatigue

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Dear Miss Lonelyhearts: We love our grandchildren, but now we’re sick of them. The two sets of parents — our adult children — have been parking their kids out here on the farm with us while they take back-to-back road trips to see their friends. We’ve had enough.

Grandma and I want them to come back and get the “brats” (just joking, they’re nice kids) so we can relax.

You have to be so careful with city kids around the farm who don’t know when they’re going to make a mistake and get hoofed by an animal or run over by a farm implement.

How do we tell our kids the party is over early, and they really need to come back before grandma and I give out?

Trustees call for e-scooter safety education

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Preview

Trustees call for e-scooter safety education

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

School trustees are calling on the province to bolster public education around e-bike and e-scooter safety ahead of back-to-school season.

The Manitoba School Boards Association brought members’ concerns about a growing number of students using electronic devices to get to and from classes to the education minister’s office this month.

“There’s a concerning lack of safety knowledge on the part of Manitoba youth,” executive director Alan Campbell said.

Campbell, a long-time trustee in the Interlake School Division, resigned from elected office this summer to run the association that mobilizes school boards and provides them with labour relations support.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Officer who shot dog dead after it bit him won’t face charges

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

Officer who shot dog dead after it bit him won’t face charges

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Yesterday at 1:06 PM CDT

A Manitoba First Nations police officer will not face charges for fatally shooting a dog last year, despite the Crown describing the officer’s conduct as “concerning.”

The Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba announced it would not recommend charges Monday, more than a year after the incident was reported to the police watchdog.

A Manitoba First Nations Police Service officer went to a home in Swan Lake First Nation to make an arrest in June 2025, the IIU said. No arrest was made as the person police were looking for was not there. As the officer was leaving, a dog chained outside bit him.

The officer later returned with a carbine rifle and shot and killed the dog.

Read
Yesterday at 1:06 PM CDT