‘Don’t want this to be the thing that ends my career’ Hall of Famer Ogoms gunning for return to court after battling cancer

Alicia Ogoms would be (mostly) at peace if she called it a career. No one would question her decision either.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Alicia Ogoms would be (mostly) at peace if she called it a career. No one would question her decision either.

Frankly, however, she has no interest in that.

The 32-year-old wants to go out on her terms, and she’s fought like hell for the last 20 months to make sure that happens.

NORCECA PHOTO FILES
                                Volleyball player Alicia Ogoms said whatever she does ‘now is just gravy’ after discovering she had Stage 3 breast cancer back in 2024. The Winnipegger is on course to return to game play, and should officially be declared cancer-free in 2030.

NORCECA PHOTO FILES

Volleyball player Alicia Ogoms said whatever she does ‘now is just gravy’ after discovering she had Stage 3 breast cancer back in 2024. The Winnipegger is on course to return to game play, and should officially be declared cancer-free in 2030.

Ogoms has already solidified herself as one of the most accomplished female players to grace the volleyball court in Manitoba’s rich history, and now she’s on a mission to carry out something that — to her knowledge — has never been done before.

“I’ve always kind of tried to find people that I can model my game after, I kind of look for touchstones,” Ogoms told the Free Press recently in a revealing phone call from Vancouver, where she’s lived since March. “I couldn’t really find anyone else that had Stage 3 cancer and came back and played volleyball again.”

The 6-4 middle blocker stood proudly in front of a crowded hall at the downtown Convention Centre on Sunday with nothing to hide as she candidly recited her acceptance speech following her induction into the Volleyball Manitoba Hall of Fame.

Ogoms said she never thought she’d get to this point as a “Black, queer woman with crippling anxiety” who “seems to check every Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion box there is.”

“I couldn’t really find anyone else that had Stage 3 cancer and came back and played volleyball again.”

Then again, this was always what she had been chasing, ever since she watched her father, Joe, be enshrined into the Manitoba Basketball Hall of Fame.

While the writing had been on the wall for years that Ogoms would one day be immortalized, there was also a time, not long ago, when it was feared that she might not be alive to accept this honour.

It was Sept. 30 of 2024 in Santorini when Ogoms found a lump on her left breast while taking a shower.

An initial scan led team trainers to believe it was a cyst, but an ensuing MRI revealed it was something far more frightening.

One month later, on Halloween, doctors informed Ogoms that she had been playing with two tumours in her chest: one she could feel, at the front of her breast, and one that was deeper than the skin. Both were deemed 90 per cent carcinogenic, and she was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer.

“I think, for a long time, I guess, I had a little bit of that cognitive dissonance, because I was like, ‘How could I feel good, but also something be so wrong with me?’” Ogoms said.

Playing in her ninth season professionally, Ogoms hadn’t made it that far without taking care of herself. She was a stickler for taking physicals, blood work and heart tests regularly to ensure she remained in the best physical shape.

NORCECA PHOTO FILES
                                Winnipegger Alicia Ogoms (8) was inducted into the Volleyball Manitoba Hall of Fame on Sunday.

NORCECA PHOTO FILES

Winnipegger Alicia Ogoms (8) was inducted into the Volleyball Manitoba Hall of Fame on Sunday.

Her family also had no history of cancer. As Ogoms discovered quickly, however, this disease never discriminates.

“I had a moment with my wife — luckily she was there with me when I was going through all of this — we had this memory that we went to McDonald’s, and it was like kind of like laughing and crying, and then laughing, because it felt like a sick joke,” she said.

“I felt a little more fallible,” Ogoms said. “I think you just get to a place where I played for so long, and obviously — knock on wood — I’ve been pretty healthy overall, in my body and stuff, and so, I think it definitely was a really good reminder that there are a lot of things that can change really fast, and that… it can happen to anybody.”

Ogoms underwent eight rounds of chemotherapy, three surgeries and 25 rounds of radiation in Winnipeg from Nov. 6, 2024, to Oct. 6, 2025.

“I think, for a long time, I guess, I had a little bit of that cognitive dissonance, because I was like, ‘How could I feel good, but also something be so wrong with me?’”

The first surgery — a full mastectomy — had removed most of the cancer, but doctors discovered that it had spread. Ogoms had an option for a second — and, eventually, third — surgery instead of going into radiation. That came with risk, however, as the second procedure would remove her lymph nodes and the surrounding fat, which would significantly limit the mobility of her left arm.

If she wasn’t planning a return, it would’ve been a no-brainer, but because she was, it needed to be a calculated risk.

“I kind of was like, ‘Oh, I can do that.’ I’ve rehabbed so many injuries and rehabbed so many things in the past. I definitely felt good that this wouldn’t be an issue, and luckily, it hasn’t been an issue,” said Ogoms, adding she has about 95 per cent of her range of motion back.

Ogoms has now completed her systemic treatments and is in the maintenance phase of her rehab. Barring any more surprises, she will officially be declared cancer-free in 2030.

Ogoms rehabbed with AYA (adolescents and young adults), which she said helped her tremendously, being around people of a similar age during a time when she couldn’t be around people face-to-face due to her suppressed immune system. They also helped prepare her for every step in the process.

Throughout the trying process, Ogoms’ goal never changed: she was going to be back on the court one day.

“From the first appointment that I had with my surgeon, I was like, ‘Yeah, I want to go back. I don’t want this to be the thing that ends my career,’” she said.

Ogoms made a name for herself as a local teen sensation while playing at St. Mary’s Academy. As the province’s top-ranked high school player, she led the Flames to the AAAA provincial title while pacing the team in attacks, kills, blocks and aces.

She committed to play in the NCAA Division 1 ranks at the University of Southern California — a significant landing spot for a player from Manitoba — and went on to further prove her talent over four seasons, earning honourable mention for the Pac-12 Conference’s all-freshman team in her first year and capping her career with a conference championship and Second-Team All-American nod.

Her play took her to some of the world’s top professional leagues in Poland, Italy and France, and Ogoms became a staple on the senior women’s national team for a decade.

“This is the peak of what I wanted to accomplish as a player.”

“Just a wonderful person. Probably one of the most competitive athletes you’ll ever see,” said Andrei Halkewycz, who is Volleyball Manitoba’s Awards and Recognition committee chair and a board member.

While Ogoms is not the first person to be inducted into Volleyball Manitoba’s Hall of Fame while still being actively involved in the sport, it remains a rare accomplishment for an athlete.

“It’s pretty amazing. It just adds to the quality of the individual and hard worker she is as an athlete and a person she is,” said Halkewycz, adding the committee would’ve considered her regardless of whether it knew she was still attempting a comeback.

“I’ve known Alicia through her high school days and club days and watching her on the national team, and she played professionally — so I’ve known her a long time — and it just adds to her legacy.”

Ogoms wants to play professionally again this fall and will be shooting for a return to the national team in the process.

She’s been back in the gym six days per week since February, and anticipates training with the NextGen program later this month.

“I’m so grateful for this honour,” Ogoms said. “This is the peak of what I wanted to accomplish as a player.”

“I do feel a lot less pressure, trying to come back and play, because I feel like I’ve done the thing that I’ve wanted to do. I feel like whatever I do now is just gravy.”

Because Ogoms has now accomplished her career-long pursuit of being enshrined, she said she also feels less pressure in her attempt at a comeback.

Her return to training hasn’t come without its challenges — her cancer has put her into a post-menopausal state, which has led to hot flashes, joint pain and weight gain, among other things — but Ogoms has embraced both the challenges she’s faced and the ones that await.

She wants to be an example for all women.

“I don’t really see myself as a role model, per se, but I think just maybe as an example that you can be really sick and you can get back to where you were,” Ogoms said. “I don’t think I’ll be exactly as good as I was before, but your life can still go on, and it’s gonna look different, obviously, but it can still have a new look to it, and it can still be just as fulfilling.

“My whole career I feel like I’ve been, weirdly, the first for a lot of stuff, so I’m like, ‘Why not this be another one of those things?’”

winnipegfreepress.com/joshuafreysam

Joshua Frey-Sam

Joshua Frey-Sam
Reporter

Josh Frey-Sam reports on sports and business at the Free Press. Josh got his start at the paper in 2022, just weeks after graduating from the Creative Communications program at Red River College. He reports primarily on amateur teams and athletes in sports. Read more about Josh.

Every piece of reporting Josh produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Kids need some sense of split parents’ situation

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: On our last day at a beach rental cabin the kids and I were packing up later than the rules asked for, when a familiar car pulled in next door. It was my ex-husband with his new woman and her kids.

My children yelled out, “Look Mom, it’s Daddy! He came to the lake to see us!” and ran over to him for hugs. His girlfriend had the cabin keys dangling, nodded at me, and went inside quickly.

I said to my former husband, “Fancy meeting you here! Come on kids, we’re going home now.” My ex said, “Oh, settle down. Give me a few minutes with my kids, will you?”

So, I finished packing and locked the cabin door, and waited for the kids for 30 minutes in our car. Then I started to cry. It just came gushing out and I couldn’t control it. Finally, my ex brought the children back out. He could see I’d been crying and said in disgust, “Get over it, princess. I have!”

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT

A man who fatally stabbed a Ukrainian newcomer in “a random, unprovoked, and senseless act of violence” on the street has been sentenced to 10 years behind bars.

Ethan Gladu, 22, was found guilty of manslaughter in February in the December 20, 2023 killing of Ivan Rubanik, a 46-year-old father of two who had fled to Canada for a better life with his family several months before.

Gladu, then 19, randomly stabbed Rubanik shortly before 8 a.m., near Talbot Avenue and Watt Street, as the victim was walking to work that morning. He died of blood loss soon after.

“The people of Winnipeg, or any community, should feel confident that they can go about their business, walk to work, support their family, and carry on with their lives without being attacked,” said Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne on Thursday afternoon as he sentenced the killer.

Read
Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Preview

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 4:07 PM CDT

Some customers in downtown Winnipeg are experiencing a Bell MTS service interruption after telecommunications infrastructure was damaged Tuesday.

Bell MTS said on social media that a third-party construction crew accidentally cut a copper cable, causing the outage.

Contractors drilled through multiple underground ducts, causing significant damage to several cables and requiring extensive repairs.

A small number of buildings, mainly concentrated on Fort Street, Garry Street and York Avenue, may be experiencing landline or internet issues because of the damage, said Bell spokesperson Elise von Scheel.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 4:07 PM CDT

Chronic blame game festers

Tom Brodbeck 5 minute read Preview

Chronic blame game festers

Tom Brodbeck 5 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara doesn’t mince words when describing how bad things are in the province’s emergency departments and urgent-care centres.

“The wait times that we are seeing in Manitoba are unacceptable,” said Asagwara in an interview with the Free Press. “I hear from families, I hear from providers, I hear from Manitobans who are concerned about the wait times that they’re seeing, that they’re experiencing, and those concerns are valid — I share those concerns.”

So what is the NDP, who promised voters nearly three years ago it had the answers to bring down wait times, doing about it?

A lot, according to Asagwara, who has been the province’s health minister since the NDP was sworn into office in October 2023.

Read
6:00 AM CDT