May 29, 2020

Winnipeg
5° C, A few clouds

Full Forecast

Winnipeg Free Press

ABOVE THE FOLD

Help us deliver reliable news during this pandemic.

We are working tirelessly to bring you trusted information about COVID-19. Support our efforts by subscribing today.

No Thanks Subscribe

Already a subscriber?

Latest Amber Alert raises questions about use of cellphone notifications

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 17/9/2018 (619 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

An Amber Alert issued at 12:30 a.m. on Monday startled Manitobans from their sleep and left many perplexed about why some received the notification on their cell phones and others didn't.

Manitoba RCMP asked that the province issue the alert upon receiving a request for help from their counterparts in Saskatchewan, who were searching for a six-year-old girl. The child had been left alone in the back of an SUV in North Battleford, Sask., when the vehicle was stolen. The girl was later found safe inside the abandoned vehicle.

In her St. Vital home, senior Sylvia Zubert awoke to "an ungodly noise" from the iPhone on her night table when the alert sounded.

"It really shocked me," she said.

Amber Alert for Emma O'Keeffe.
September 17 at 12:28 am.

Amber Alert for Emma O'Keeffe. September 17 at 12:28 am.

Zubert had set her phone for the night so that she could only be reached by close family. She later questioned why an alert would be issued at such an hour unless citizens were in imminent danger.

"If there is a tornado touching down in St. Vital or, God forbid, we're under terrorist attack, sure screech in my ear and bounce me out of bed," she said. "But what am I supposed to do about a poor little girl who's been abducted... in North Battleford, Sask.? How is waking up this senior citizen in the middle of the night going to help that poor little girl?"

For others, the discussion Monday was why some folks received the alert and others didn't. The answer to that depends on the vintage of a user's wireless device, whether software upgrades have been made and whether or not it was tuned to an LTE (long-term evolution) network.

"If your phone was on and was connected to LTE, you would have gotten the (Amber Alert) message," said Infrastructure Minister Ron Schuler, who is responsible for the province's Emergency Measures Organization.

Currently, cell phones on 3G or 4G will not pick up the emergency alert. That will change when new cell phones come onto the market next spring that will allow users to receive a government-issued Amber Alert on either 3G or LTE, Schuler said.

Infrastructure Minister Ron Schuler (Mikaela MacKenzie / Winnipeg Free Press)

Infrastructure Minister Ron Schuler (Mikaela MacKenzie / Winnipeg Free Press)

The minister said it is his understanding that at least 60 per cent of Manitobans on an LTE network received the message early Monday. The remainder wouldn't have got it it because they had either turned off their phone, placed it on airplane mode or had problems with the device, such as a dead battery, he said.

"All of those who were on a 3G or 4G network would not have gotten it," the minister said. He noted, however, that broadcast outlets and media websites, such as the Free Press site got the message out.

Schuler said emergency alerts will reach closer to 100 per cent of the population as cell phone users upgrade their devices. "There are some people who still have some pretty old phones. And people will have to upgrade if they want to receive these messages," he said.

The following devices with software kept up to date will be compatible:

Click to Expand

Apple: iPhone 5s, 6, 6s, 6 Plus, SE, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X

Samsung: Note 8, GS8, GS8+, J3 Prime, GS7, GS7 Edge, GS9, GS9+, A8

Alcatel: A50, GO Flip

Blackberry: Motion

LG: V30, Q6

Sony: Xperia XZ1

- Source: Bell MTS website

While Emergency Measures can isolate an alert to specific regions of the province, Schuler said, it was decided to blanket the province in this case.

"If a tornado is coming, we can let a certain region know so we don't have to alarm everybody in the province of Manitoba," he said. "I believe in these cases, where it is an Amber Alert, that we do notify the entire province. We don't know where this individual was going with the (stolen) vehicle. It was just safer and better to notify anybody and everybody... And it worked."

As of this past April, wireless service providers have been able to distribute emergency alerts to compatible devices on behalf of federal and provincial authorities.

Asked Monday why police did not use the technology during a manhunt recently after a Mountie was shot and wounded near Onanole, a Manitoba RCMP spokesman said it was deemed that communicating information about the incident through social media and traditional media "was sufficient to reach the affected public."

He called the Alert Ready system a new and "a very important tool," whose use would be considered on a case by case basis.

larry.kusch@freepress.mb.ca

Larry Kusch

Larry Kusch
Legislature Reporter

Larry Kusch didn’t know what he wanted to do with his life until he attended a high school newspaper editor’s workshop in Regina in the summer of 1969 and listened to a university student speak glowingly about the journalism program at Carleton University in Ottawa.

Read full biography

Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.

To those who have made donations, thank you.

To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.

The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.

After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.

If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.

We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.

The Free Press would like to thank our readers for their patience while comments were not available on our site. We're continuing to work with our commenting software provider on issues with the platform. In the meantime, if you're not able to see comments after logging in to our site, please try refreshing the page.

You can comment on most stories on The Winnipeg Free Press website. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

By submitting your comment, you agree to abide by our Community Standards and Moderation Policy. These guidelines were revised effective February 27, 2019. Have a question about our comment forum? Check our frequently asked questions.