July 11, 2020

19° C, Partly cloudy

Full Forecast

Close this
Winnipeg Free Press



Puerto Rican drug dealer points to Anhang widow in court: 'She told me to kill the Canadian'

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 17/9/2018 (662 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO — Adam Anhang's killer pointed in court Monday to the Winnipeg man's widow as one of three people who hired him, describing in chilling detail how Anhang fought for his life on a San Juan street 13 years ago.

Alex Pabon, a drug trafficker known on San Juan streets as El Loco (The Crazy One), said the widow, Aurea Vazquez-Rijos, met with him twice and made it clear she "wanted to kill (Anhang) because he had a fortune." Anhang, a 32-year-old businessman, had an estate worth $24 million and was preparing to divorce his wife.

Vazquez-Rijos is accused of ordering the killing, along with her sister Marcia and a friend, Jose Ferrer Sosa. Pabon said his agreed-upon fee for the killing was $3 million, to be paid in instalments because the widow had other killings she wanted him for.

Listening in court to Pabon’s matter-of-fact description of his son’s murder left Abe Anhang, the victim’s father, visibly shaken. The 80-year-old man left the courthouse for two hours to compose himself after the testimony.

Pabon confessed to Adam Anhang’s murder and was convicted in 2008. But sentencing was delayed until after the jury trial of Vazquez is completed. He is expected to get a reduced sentence in return for co-operating with prosecutors.

Pabon was brought into court Monday in handcuffs and ankle chains. Speaking through a Spanish translator, he said that he first met with Vazquez-Rijos in a restaurant owned by the accused, called the Pink Skirt, which Anhang had purchased for her. He often saw clients there for drug deals.

 Aurea Vazquez-Rijos is taken to the Federal Court in Hato Rey, Puerto Rico in 2015. (Carlos Giusti/El Vocero via AP)

Aurea Vazquez-Rijos is taken to the Federal Court in Hato Rey, Puerto Rico in 2015. (Carlos Giusti/El Vocero via AP)

Referring to Vazquez-Rijos, he said: "She told me to kill the Canadian. When I killed him I should do it as if it were a robbery, that it would look like something real."

Vazquez-Rijos offered to write him a cheque for $5,000 to buy a gun but he refused because it could easily be traced back to him.

"In the robbery I should shoot (Vazquez-Rios) in the shoulder or the leg, and it would look like something real professional."

It was arranged that on the evening of Sept. 22, 2005, Pabon would follow the couple on the street just before midnight as they left a restaurant in Old San Juan, heading for their parked car. They met for dinner to discuss the impending divorce.

The murder took place almost as planned. Pabon followed Anhang and Vazquez-Rijos on a sidewalk across the street. But because he was unable to secure a gun from a friend, he slipped into a restaurant along the way and grabbed a kitchen knife, a pair of rubber gloves and a paper bag.

Pabon had never met Anhang, so at one point along the route, Vazquez-Rijos made a head gesture in her husband’s direction, to indicate to the hit man that he was to be the victim. "She made the signal, ‘that’s the Canadian’," he testified.

"She wanted me to do other jobs for her, to kill other people." — Alex Pabon, the man allegedly hired by Aurea Vazquez-Rijos to kill her husband, Adam Anhang

At a quiet intersection, Pabon approached the couple, holding a cell phone to his ear so as not to arouse suspicion. He confronted Anhang and said in English: "This is a robbery." Anhang responded by punching him in the face, and shouting to his wife: "Run, baby, run!"

Ex-Winnipegger Adam Anhang was killed in San Juan, Puerto Rico, in 2005.</p></p>

Ex-Winnipegger Adam Anhang was killed in San Juan, Puerto Rico, in 2005.

Pabon had a piece of cobblestone hidden in a paper bag, and struck Anhang on the side of his head with it, knocking him down. "He fell down and I took out the knife and started stabbing him and stabbing him, like a bat out of hell . . . I stabbed him in the jugular like I was trying to cut off his head. He grabbed the knife and tried to stab me with it. I finished killing him with a cobblestone to his face and stabbed him in different parts of his back."

During the struggle, the killer said he heard someone from an adjacent building shout: "Let him go, you mother----er."

Before leaving the scene, Pabon said he approached Vazquez-Rijos and struck her on the side of her head, as part of the plan to make her seem like an innocent victim. But he was afraid he may have struck her too hard. "I thought I had killed her too," he said.

And the killer made another mistake that was to haunt him later. He forgot to take Anhang’s wallet, which would immediately tip police off that the assault was not in fact a robbery.

Pabon rushed home, showered and threw his bloodied clothes away. Then he called a friend and they drove back together to the scene of the crime to make sure Anhang was dead.

The killer never collected his $3 million bounty.

"How was it to be paid?" asked prosecuting attorney Jennifer Hernandez.

"They were going to pay it in instalments, $100,000, $50,000, over a period of months or years," he replied. "She wanted me to do other jobs for her, to kill other people."

Meanwhile, he would be paid for the Anhang killing once Vazquez-Rijos inherited his estate.

That never happened. Pabon eluded police for more than two years but he never collected a penny. Vazquez-Rijos was indicted for the murder-for-hire in 2008 but she had fled to Italy. She was finally extradited back to Puerto Rico in 2015.


Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.

To those who have made donations, thank you.

To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.

The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.

After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.

If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.

We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.


Updated on Monday, September 17, 2018 at 9:10 PM CDT: Fixes pullquote attribution

The Free Press will close this commenting platform at noon on July 14.

We want to thank those who have shared their views over the years as part of this reader engagement initiative.

In the coming weeks, the Free Press will announce new opportunities for readers to share their thoughts and to engage with our staff and each other.

You can comment on most stories on The Winnipeg Free Press website. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

By submitting your comment, you agree to abide by our Community Standards and Moderation Policy. These guidelines were revised effective February 27, 2019. Have a question about our comment forum? Check our frequently asked questions.