June 2, 2020

Winnipeg
15° C, A few clouds

Full Forecast

Winnipeg Free Press

ABOVE THE FOLD

Help us deliver reliable news during this pandemic.

We are working tirelessly to bring you trusted information about COVID-19. Support our efforts by subscribing today.

No Thanks Subscribe

Already a subscriber?

Critical failures outlined in health-care update

Editorial

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 11/6/2019 (356 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

While it’s commonly associated — incorrectly — with the Hippocratic Oath that binds physicians to a code of ethical conduct, the familiar phrase still serves as an appropriately urgent guideline for all who toil in the medical professions:

"First, do no harm."

A number of things happened on the way to the grim situation outlined in Dr. David Peachey’s "Phase Two" assessment.  (Mikaela MacKenzie / Free Press files)

A number of things happened on the way to the grim situation outlined in Dr. David Peachey’s "Phase Two" assessment. (Mikaela MacKenzie / Free Press files)

One might be inclined to wonder how the architects of Manitoba’s ongoing health-care restructuring might reflect on that motto, given the damning contents of an interim progress report released this week by Shared Health Manitoba.

Harm, it seems, is very likely being done and will inevitably be done with increasing regularity if the health-care transformation continues on its current trajectory.

The message presented by Nova Scotia-based health consultant Dr. David Peachey’s interim report, "Assessing Phase Two: Healing Our Health System," stands in stark contrast to the mostly positive assessment offered by the consultant and Health Minister Cameron Friesen last month after Dr. Peachey and members of his consulting firm had spent several weeks in Manitoba conducting interviews with administrators and front-line workers.

"In all of the people we talked to, there was an absolute consensus that the plan is right," Dr. Peachey said on May 10. "The timelines may be off, but the plan is right."

Mr. Friesen agreed, of course: "Our confidence in the plan to improve patient outcomes was largely validated today by Dr. Peachey, who said almost all stakeholders agreed we are on the correct path."

'Phase Two should be paused immediately while the underpinning process undergoes "repair and restore" activities' –excerpt from 72–page report on Winnipeg hospital reform

The text of the 72-page document offers a stark contrast:

"Phase Two should be paused immediately while the underpinning process undergoes ‘repair and restore’ activities."

"Workload and staffing instability in the nursing workforce are significant and not sustainable."

"Seriously low morale..."

"Overall, confidence has been lost in Phase Two."

The plan for health-care transformation was created in 2015 by Dr. Peachey at the behest of the province’s previous NDP administration, and was set in motion in 2017 by the Progressive Conservative government led by Premier Brian Pallister. Both governments had come to the well-considered conclusion that Manitoba’s health-care regime had become unsustainable, and the PCs opted to act on the report’s recommendations shortly after being elected.

'Satisfactory resolutions are not pending or, at this point, foreseen' –Dr. David Peachey

A number of things happened on the way to the grim situation outlined in Dr. Peachey’s "Phase Two" assessment, however: first, the Pallister government chose to pair an exhaustive and complex transformation process with an austerity agenda that forced those tasked with transformation to seek targeted efficiencies at the same time they were undertaking massive restructuring; second, the process was apparently implemented (according to Dr. Peachey) "by directive rather than reasoned consultation"; and third, the tight deadlines placed on the restructuring created uncertainty, "previously unknown levels of stress" and staffing shortages among front-line medical staff, particularly nurses.

The report describes a particularly critical situation at Concordia Hospital, which had its emergency department converted to an urgent care centre on June 3. Staffing destabilization and the departures of key personnel in advance of the original plan to downgrade Concordia’s ER to a walk-in clinic at the end of June have left the facility with a long list of inadequacies that led Dr. Peachey to conclude that "satisfactory resolutions are not pending or, at this point, foreseen."

With the Pallister government fully expected this week to impose a pre-election communications blackout and set a September date for a provincial election, it will be interesting to see how the premier and his health minister deal with the interim report’s call for an urgently needed pause in the health-care restructuring.

Further mishandling of the file could do great harm to the PCs’ re-election campaign message.

Editorials are the consensus view of the Winnipeg Free Press’ editorial board.

Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.

To those who have made donations, thank you.

To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.

The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.

After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.

If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.

We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.

The Free Press would like to thank our readers for their patience while comments were not available on our site. We're continuing to work with our commenting software provider on issues with the platform. In the meantime, if you're not able to see comments after logging in to our site, please try refreshing the page.

You can comment on most stories on The Winnipeg Free Press website. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

By submitting your comment, you agree to abide by our Community Standards and Moderation Policy. These guidelines were revised effective February 27, 2019. Have a question about our comment forum? Check our frequently asked questions.