Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION

Province unveils five-year infrastructure plan

  • Print
From left: Chris Lorenc, Manitoba Heavy Construction Association;  Transportation Minister Steve Ashton; Jobs and Economy Minister Theresa Oswald; and Diane Gray of CentrePort.

KEN GIGLIOTTI / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Enlarge Image

From left: Chris Lorenc, Manitoba Heavy Construction Association; Transportation Minister Steve Ashton; Jobs and Economy Minister Theresa Oswald; and Diane Gray of CentrePort. Photo Store

The Selinger government put more meat on the bone today on its five-year plan to use PST revenue to spend $5.5 billion on fixing and improving Manitoba’s crumbling infrastructure.

Much of what the province will fix has already been announced--improving Highways 75 and the TransCanada, for example. The plan also comes a day before Finance Minister Jennifer Howard tables the government’s budget for the coming year.

What it doesn’t do it outline how much money Ottawa will contribute under its own Building Canada Fund. Jobs and the Economy Minister Theresa Oswald said the province has yet to sit down with senior Manitoba MP Shelly Glover on what Ottawa’s share will be.

Oswald said the province’s plan is based on how much money the federal government has contributed in past years to infrastructure projects.

Infrastructure and Transportation Minister Steve Ashton said the plan wouldn’t be what it is without last year’s one point increase of the provincial sales tax to eight per cent.

"The next five years will have a significant increase over the last five years and the difference is the one cent on the dollar," he said.

The NDP also recruited the Conference Board of Canada to vet the five-year plan. The board said the plan will create a total of 59,900 person-years of jobs, lift Manitoba's economy by $6.3 billion and generate $1.4 billion in retail sales.

Ashton also said the plan represents how the NDP differ from the opposition Progressive Conservatives, offering a glimpse at how the NDP will fight the next election campaign in two years.

"I think over the next period of time (Manitobans) are also going to see that there’s a clear choice," he said. "Certainly, our political opponents have made it very clear what they would do. They would cut the one cent on the dollar. They would end up cutting a lot of programming, but they would also cut the investment in infrastructure."

Opposition Leader Brian Pallister said the province should not be using revenue from the PST for infrastructure, but instead fund it through general revenue like every other province.

"It’s the only province that’s jacked up the PST," Pallister said. "It’s inflicted the highest back-to-back tax increases on Manitobans of any Canadian province and of any government in the history of Manitoba, and now it’s trying to tell Manitobans that that’s a good thing? I don’t think so."

Pallister’s Progressive Conservatives are challenging the PST increase in court without a referendum. The first court date is April 25.

 

History

Updated on Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at 12:13 PM CST: adds sidebar

2:18 PM: Adds comment from Brian Pallister.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Key of Bart - Take It Easy

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A  young goose stuffed with bread from  St Vital park passers-by takes a nap in the shade Thursday near lunch  –see Bryksa’s 30 day goose challenge Day 29-June 28, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • A red squirrel peaks out of the shade in a tree in East Fort Garry, Sunday, September 9, 2012. (TREVOR HAGAN/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

What should the city do with the 102-year-old Arlington Street bridge?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google