Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Police lay charge in beating death

Suspected gang leader accused of killing

  • Print

The suspected leader of the Indian Posse gang has been charged with manslaughter in connection with the beating death of a 16-year-old rival gang member earlier this month.

Paris Rene Cameron (Parrot) Bruce, 16, died Sept. 7 from injuries he received three days earlier.

Police found Bruce lying on the street in the 300 block of Aberdeen Avenue at 8 a.m. on Sept. 4, the victim of a severe beating. He was taken to hospital in critical condition.

Michael James Guimond, 34, was arrested at about 12:20 p.m. Wednesday near Powers Street and Redwood Avenue, a few blocks from where the attack occurred.

He was charged with manslaughter -- marking the third time Guimond has been linked to a local slaying.

Police said they initially suspected a gang connection to the beating, as Bruce was a member of M.O.B., a gang based in the North End and Point Douglas that had been feuding with the Indian Posse.

The M.O.B. was also collapsing in a violent fashion, with splinter groups fighting each other.

But charges announced Thursday indicate police believe Bruce was a victim of the gang war between M.O.B. and the Indian Posse.

An obituary described Bruce, known to his family as "Little Parrot," as "a colourful boy who always had a smile on his face." He enjoyed video games, movies, sketching and trying new foods, family said.

It's not known how many individuals were involved in the Sept. 4 attack. Police said the investigation is ongoing.

Anyone with information about the attack is asked to contact Winnipeg police at 204-986-6508 or Crime Stoppers at 204-786-8477.

Sources told the Free Press Guimond is the leader of the Indian Posse and has the nickname "Teflon."

Guimond has been charged twice before in gang-related murder cases.

He was charged with the second-degree murder of Adrien Bruyere, 18, who was killed at McPhillips Street and Selkirk Avenue in May 2000. When witnesses recanted or refused to testify, Guimond struck a deal and pleaded guilty to assault causing bodily harm in June 2002.

Guimond was charged in May 2006 with second-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder for his alleged role in a shooting at a New Year's Eve party. A gunman had fired a shotgun into a group of people, killing a 20-year-old man and injuring two teens. All charges against Guimond were later stayed.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition September 28, 2012 A6

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

Comments are not accepted on this story because they might prejudice a case before the courts.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Family of Matias De Antonio speaks outside Law Courts

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A golfer looks for his ball in a water trap at John Blumberg Golf Course Friday afternoon as geese and goslings run for safety- See Joe Bryksa’s 30 day goose challenge- Day 24– June 15, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • May 22, 2012 - 120522  - Westminster United Church photographed Tuesday May 22, 2012 .  John Woods / Winnipeg Free Press

View More Gallery Photos


What are you most looking forward to this Easter weekend?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google