Tennis

Tennis

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios suspended after positive test for cocaine

Graham Dunbar, The Associated Press 4 minute read Updated: 6:11 AM CDT

GENEVA (AP) — Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios revealed on Wednesday he tested positive for cocaine, and cited the doping case as a wake up call after feeling “helpless and alone” as injuries derailed his career.

The 31-year-old Australian with a checkered disciplinary record was provisionally suspended after playing just 10 singles matches on the ATP tour, winning only two, since his peak season of 2022. Then, he reached the final at the grass-court Grand Slam and lost to Novak Djokovic.

Kyrgios is now ranked 919th. He tested positive in June for the party drug during a lower-tier grass court event in Spain.

“I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine,” he wrote on his Instagram account. “I made a huge mistake and take full responsibility for it.”

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Weather

Aug. 19, 6 PM: 23°c Cloudy Aug. 20, 12 AM: 17°c Cloudy

Winnipeg MB

22°C, Partly cloudy

Full Forecast

Tennis

Auger-Aliassime advances to Round of 16 with win over Cerundolo at Cincinnati Open

The Canadian Press 2 minute read Preview

Auger-Aliassime advances to Round of 16 with win over Cerundolo at Cincinnati Open

The Canadian Press 2 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 9:37 PM CDT

CINCINNATI - The back injury that prevented Felix Auger-Aliassime from competing in the National Bank Open in his hometown earlier this month, appears to be healing nicely.

The 26-year-old Montreal tennis star advanced to the Round of 16 at the Cincinnati Open after defeating Juan Manuel Cerundolo of Argentina 7-5, 6-1 on Tuesday night.

Auger-Aliassime, who needed only one hour, 27 minutes to win the Round of 32 singles match against Cerundolo, will now face Frances Tiafoe, who defeated Learner Tien 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 in an all-American showdown that took two hours, 10 minutes to play on Tuesday night.

Auger-Aliassime defeated Stefanos Tsitsipas of Greece 6-3, 7-5 in his first match on Sunday.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 9:37 PM CDT

Tennis

Svitolina withdraws from Cincinnati Open with right ankle injury

Jeff Wallner, The Associated Press 2 minute read Yesterday at 1:02 PM CDT

MASON, Ohio (AP) — Elina Svitolina has withdrawn from the Cincinnati Open ahead of a third-round match because of a right ankle injury sustained in Toronto.

“Unfortunately, I tried my best to recover, but I didn’t recover as (quickly) to get ready for my next round,” Svitolina said Tuesday. "I’ve been advised by the doctors to take a little bit of time to rest and recover completely. I was looking forward to playing here. Had a great match here two nights ago. Very sad to pull out (of) this round.”

Svitolina, who is ranked No. 9, was scheduled to face Xiyu Wang on Tuesday. Wang will advance to the fourth round, where she'll face American Madison Keys on Wednesday.

During the second set of her second-round comeback win against Tereza Valentova on Sunday, Svitolina took a medical timeout to have her right ankle checked but recovered to save seven match points to win the set.

Tennis

Venus Williams gets a US Open singles wild card at 46, with maybe a spot being held for Serena

Brian Mahoney, The Associated Press 3 minute read Preview

Venus Williams gets a US Open singles wild card at 46, with maybe a spot being held for Serena

Brian Mahoney, The Associated Press 3 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 12:31 PM CDT

NEW YORK (AP) — Venus Williams was given a wild card into the U.S. Open singles tournament on Tuesday and the tournament is keeping one on hold — perhaps in case her sister Serena wants to join her.

Sloane Stephens, the 2017 U.S. Open champion, was one of six other women to receive a wild card, and the U.S. Tennis Association said the final one is still to be announced.

That almost certainly would go to Serena Williams, if she decides she wants to return to the tournament at 44.

Venus Williams received a wild card last year, returning to the tournament she won twice for the first time since 2023. The 46-year-old became the oldest entrant in singles at the tournament since Renee Richards played at 47 in 1981, according to the International Tennis Federation.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 12:31 PM CDT

Tennis

Serena and Venus Williams return to doubles and lose close match in Cincinnati

Jeff Wallner, The Associated Press 4 minute read Preview

Serena and Venus Williams return to doubles and lose close match in Cincinnati

Jeff Wallner, The Associated Press 4 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

MASON, Ohio (AP) — Serena and Venus Williams played their first doubles match together since the 2022 U.S. Open and lost a thriller, 2-6, 6-1 (10-8) to Marta Kostyuk and Peyton Stearns on Monday night at the Cincinnati Open.

The sisters nearly recovered from a 6-0 deficit in the match tiebreaker before a double-fault by Venus Williams ended their first doubles appearance in a non-Grand Slam event since the Italian Open in 2016.

“I thought it was fun,” Serena said. “I thought it was special. We kicked off a little rust in the middle of the match and just, you know (were) starting to feel it. I didn’t come out here to win this tournament. Winning is obviously great. But in this position just, you know, having fun. It was really cool to be able to do this again.”

Serena had been off the tour since 2022 before returning this summer at age 44. The sisters planned to play together at Wimbledon but had to withdraw after Serena injured her knee while losing her singles match. They entered Cincinnati as a wild card.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Tennis

Eala and Auger-Aliassime, Svitolina-Monfils, Errani-Vavassori get US Open mixed doubles wild cards

Brian Mahoney, The Associated Press 3 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

NEW YORK (AP) — Rising women's star Alex Eala and Felix Auger-Aliassime, spouses Elina Svitolina and Gael Monfils, and two-time defending champions Sara Errani and Andrea Vavassori have been given wild cards into the U.S. Open mixed doubles tournament.

The U.S. Tennis Association on Monday set 11 of the 16 teams that will be in the championship, with six teams qualifying directly because of their combined rankings and five being given wild cards.

Topping the field is the team of No. 1-ranked Aryna Sabalenka and 24-time men's Grand Slam singles champion Novak Djokovic, who have the lowest combined singles ranking of any team that entered.

Also qualifying directly, in order of their rankings: Elena Rybakina and Taylor Fritz, Diana Shnaider and Daniil Medvedev, Iga Swiatek and Casper Ruud — the runner-up team last year — Belinda Bencic and Flavio Cobolli, and Amanda Anisimova and Learner Tien.

Tennis

Dabrowski, Krejcikova advance at Cincinnati Open; Fernandez, Errani follow suit

The Canadian Press 2 minute read Preview

Dabrowski, Krejcikova advance at Cincinnati Open; Fernandez, Errani follow suit

The Canadian Press 2 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

CINCINNATI - Ottawa's Gabriela Dabrowski and Czechia's Barbora Krejcikova have advanced at the Cincinnati Open.

They beat the fourth-seeded team of Spain's Cristina Bucsa and American Nicole Melichar-Martinez 6-3, 1-6, 10-4 in the Round of 32 of the women's doubles tournament on Monday. The match took one hour, 33 minutes to play.

It's the first tournament where Dabrowski and Krejcikova have paired together.

They'll face the unseeded Czech duo Linda Noskova and Marie Bouzkova in the Round of 16 on Wednesday morning.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Tennis

Fourth-ranked Auger-Aliassime headlines Canadian roster for Davis Cup qualifiers

The Canadian Press 3 minute read Preview

Fourth-ranked Auger-Aliassime headlines Canadian roster for Davis Cup qualifiers

The Canadian Press 3 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

TORONTO - Fourth-ranked Félix Auger-Aliassime will anchor the Canadian team that will host France in the second round of Davis Cup qualifiers next month in Quebec City. 

He'll be joined by fellow Montrealer Gabriel Diallo, Liam Draxl of Newmarket, Ont., and Duncan Chan of Markham, Ont., at the Sept. 18-19 tie at Videotron Centre.

“We’re excited to be bringing such a competitive team to this tie," Canadian captain Frank Dancevic said Monday in a statement. "We’ve been determined to get back to the Davis Cup Finals after falling short the past couple of years following our title in 2022, but we know it won’t be easy. 

"France is an outstanding team, so we’ll need to be at our very best to give ourselves the opportunity to reach that goal.” 

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Tennis

Fresh off Toronto title, Iga Swiatek wins first match at Cincinnati Open

Jeff Wallner, The Associated Press 3 minute read Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026

MASON, Ohio (AP) — Iga Swiatek overcame a short turnaround after winning in Toronto on Thursday to beat Colombian Emiliana Arango, 6-3, 6-0, on center court at the Cincinnati Open on Sunday.

It was the seventh consecutive win for Swiatek, who won the title in Cincinnati last year.

“It's not like I was super tired after Toronto,” Swiatek said on Sunday two days after arriving. “I knew I just needed a little bit of rest. Usually one day before a tournament, I'm already in my match mode. But this time, I wanted to spend every hour possible just chilling.”

Also on Sunday, Aryna Sabalenka, who has spent 95 consecutive weeks at No. 1 dating to Oct. 21, 2024, got past Australian Talia Gibson, 6-2, 7-6 (2). Sabalenka improved to 15-3 in Cincinnati since 2022.

Tennis

Auger-Aliassime returns from injury to beat Tsitsipas in Cincinnati; Fernandez loses

The Canadian Press 3 minute read Preview

Auger-Aliassime returns from injury to beat Tsitsipas in Cincinnati; Fernandez loses

The Canadian Press 3 minute read Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026

Montreal's Félix Auger-Aliassime made a winning return to the court with a 6-3, 7-5 win over Greece's Stefanos Tsitsipas in second-round action Sunday at the Cincinnati Open.

Auger-Aliassime, seeded second at the Masters-level event, struggled with the wind in the second set and failed to serve out the match while up 5-4. 

But the 26-year-old broke back in the next game and made no mistake in his second chance to put the game away as he fired his seventh ace on match point.

“It got really windy,” said Auger-Aliassime, who played his first match in 40 days. “The wind was pushing against me. I felt like I had no power in my serve. It was a tricky ending, but luckily I was able to get the break back. I was able to come back and serve it out better, with the wind this time.

Read
Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026

Tennis

Novak Djokovic ousted from Cincinnati Open in his first match since Wimbledon

The Associated Press 3 minute read Preview

Novak Djokovic ousted from Cincinnati Open in his first match since Wimbledon

The Associated Press 3 minute read Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026

MASON, Ohio (AP) — Novak Djokovic's stay at the Cincinnati Open was a short one. It also might be his last.

The 24-time major champion fell to Thiago Agustin Tirante 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 on Saturday in a match that took 2 hours, 44 minutes in hot and humid conditions.

A 25-year-old from Argentina, Tirante is ranked No. 50 in the world. Djokovic — a three-time Cincinnati champion and No. 5 in the rankings — was playing for the first time since his loss to top-ranked Jannik Sinner in the semifinals at Wimbledon.

Up next for Djokovic is the U.S. Open, which starts Aug. 30 in New York.

Read
Sunday, Aug. 16, 2026

Tennis

Venus Williams falls again at Cincinnati Open, singles skid hits 13 with 6-2, 6-2 loss to qualifier

Joe Reedy, The Associated Press 3 minute read Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

MASON, Ohio (AP) — Venus Williams' losing streak in singles play has reached 13 matches.

The seven-time major champion was defeated 6-2, 6-2 by Emiliana Arango on Friday in the first round of the Cincinnati Open.

The 46-year-old Williams received a wild-card entry to the WTA 1000 event. She has not won a singles match since July 2025.

Arango, a 25-year-old qualifier from Colombia ranked 95th, needed 1 hour, 5 minutes to defeat Williams on the grandstand court at Lindner Tennis Center.

Tennis

Tennis Canada looks ahead with Montreal site revamp, player participation in focus

Daniel Rainbird, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Tennis Canada looks ahead with Montreal site revamp, player participation in focus

Daniel Rainbird, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

MONTREAL - The National Bank Open men’s tournament wrapped up Thursday with a record attendance despite several rainouts, early upsets and the absence of the game’s biggest stars.

Now Tennis Canada is looking to navigate multiple issues that could shape the Montreal event's future, including the possible modernization of IGA Stadium and ways to incentivize top players to participate in the Canadian Open.

Tournament director Valérie Tétreault said Thursday more than 309,000 fans attended this year’s event. She added that players and staff enjoy coming to Montreal, but said the ATP continued to highlight “notable” gaps between its facilities and other Masters 1000 tournaments, one level below the four Grand Slams.

The shortcomings include a shortage of on-site practice courts, the capacity of the third court and small dressing rooms, along with the overarching issue of an aging centre court stadium.

Read
Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

Tennis

Hijikata rallies to beat Monfils in 1st round of Cincinnati Open

Jeff Wallner, The Associated Press 3 minute read Thursday, Aug. 13, 2026

CINCINNATI (AP) — Australian Rinky Hijikata rallied to beat Gael Monfils 2-6, 7-6, 6-3 as first-round action got underway Thursday at the Cincinnati Open. 

It was the first ATP win on hard courts for the 25-year-old Hijikata, who played collegiately at North Carolina. He will face Italian Luciano Darderi in the second round. 

Monfils made his 14th and final appearance at the Cincinnati Open. The 39-year-old Frenchman has announced he's retiring at the end of 2026. 

Monfils reached the Cincinnati quarterfinals in 2011 and upset third-ranked Carlos Alcaraz in the second round in 2024. He received a standing ovation from the crowd following Thursday's match. 

Tennis

Shelton overpowers Nakashima to defend National Bank Open men’s singles title

Daniel Rainbird, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Shelton overpowers Nakashima to defend National Bank Open men’s singles title

Daniel Rainbird, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

MONTREAL - An exodus of stars and a string of early upsets quickly turned the National Bank Open into anyone's tournament for the second straight year.

Ben Shelton took full advantage once again — this time with authority.

The fifth seed from the United States repeated as men's singles champion Thursday night, surging past fellow countryman Brandon Nakashima 6-3, 7-6 (4) in a dominant display on centre court at IGA Stadium.

"Tennis-wise, this has been one of the best weeks of my life," Shelton told a sold-out crowd post-match.

Read
Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

Tennis

MONTREAL (AP) — Ben Shelton successfully defended his National Bank Open title, beating Brandon Nakashima 6-3, 7-6 (4) in an all-American final Thursday night.

The fifth-seeded Shelton has seven career ATP Tour victories, also winning this year in Dallas, Munich and Stuttgart. He won the Canadian event last year in Toronto.

“Tennis-wise, this has been one of the best weeks of my life,” Shelton told the crowd. “I played some of the best tennis that I’ve ever played, and to be able to put that on display here in front of you has been an honor. So, thank you guys for bringing the energy all week.”

Shelton didn't drop a set in the tournament. The first repeat winner in Canada since Rafael Nadal in 2019, the 23-year-old left-hander will move up to sixth in the world ranking.

LOAD MORE TENNIS ARTICLES