Tune in, trip out

Colourful, crazy TV show Yo Gabba Gabba! has surreal appeal to tots and parents alike

Advertisement

Advertise with us

JUST three years ago, you had to be a parent of a preschooler to have any clue what Yo Gabba Gabba ! was all about.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 09/09/2010 (5824 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

JUST three years ago, you had to be a parent of a preschooler to have any clue what Yo Gabba Gabba ! was all about.

These days, the TV show’s funky-fresh, orange-clad host, DJ Lance Rock, and his five dance-happy friends Muno, Foofa, Brobee, Toodee and Plex seem to be everywhere, even partying with John Mayer at the Coachella Festival.

 

Colourful, crazy TV show Yo Gabba Gabba! has surreal appeal to tots and parents alike.
Colourful, crazy TV show Yo Gabba Gabba! has surreal appeal to tots and parents alike.

Just last week they appeared on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, where they boogied with the Roots and promoted the just-released CD Yo Gabba Gabba!: Music is Awesome Volume 2. There’s even a Yo Gabba Gabba! movie in the works.

The TV show’s surreal, ’70s-evoking appeal has spread to teens, college students and stoner-slackers who find it hilariously freaky. Devoted fans tune in to see what celebrity will pop up next on the trippy set, from famed chef Anthony Bourdain to skateboard god Tony Hawk to actress/comedian Amy Sedaris.

The list of musical guests that has gone Gabba includes Hot Hot Heat, Ladytron, MGMT, Datarock, Jimmy Eat World, Chromeo, the Flaming Lips, the Shins and the Ting Tings.

The creators have said that two of their dream guests would be actor Bill Murray and seminal post-punk band the Pixies.

Now Yo Gabba Gabba! Live!: There’s a Party in My City! comes to the MTS Centre at 6:30 p.m. on Sept. 15 (tickets $21.75, $32.50 or $49). The live concert, which is about an hour long including intermission, features DJ Lance Rock, the five creatures from Gabba Land, rapper/beatboxer Biz Markie and surprise musical and "dancey dance" celebrity guests.

The TV show and touring production are created by two Southern California friends, Christian Jacobs and Scott Schultz, who used to make skateboarding videos and play in bands (Jacobs is the lead singer of the punk-ska band the Aquabats).

When they both became parents about 11 years ago, Jacobs and Schultz found toddler TV lacking and decided to create a "more awesome" alternative that parents and tots could dig together. Jacobs told the Montreal Mirror that Yo Gabba Gabba! is "perfect for today’s dad, the alterna-dad, the dad that collects rare Japanese toys and Star Wars figures, and still listens to punk rock and old-school hip hop."

The Free Press recently spoke to Jacobs, 39, by phone at his home in Orange County.

 

FP: You and your co-creator have always been too nice to name the toddler TV shows that bored and frustrated you when you became dads. But what was it that bugged you about those programs?

CJ: Preschool television… had compartmentalized itself and said, "OK, this show is for this demographic, two- to four-year-olds, or this show is for three- to six-year-olds." …There was nothing, really, as a parent that kept me in the game. And there was nothing that really modelled the play pattern of a child that age, who has a very short attention span and is just going from one thing to the next, discovering. I thought a little less narrative and a little more all-over-the-place fun would be great.

Yo Gabba Gabba!’s colourful cast
Clockwise from top left: Toodee, Foofa, Muno, Brobee, DJ Lance Rock and Plex.
Yo Gabba Gabba!’s colourful cast Clockwise from top left: Toodee, Foofa, Muno, Brobee, DJ Lance Rock and Plex.

 

FP: You two are not educators. Yet your show got picked up by Nickelodeon when hundreds, if not thousands, of programs devised by educational experts get rejected all the time. Why do you think Nickelodeon believed in your concept?

CJ: I’ve got to give credit to Brown Johnson, who was head of Nick Jr. at the time. She’s responsible for bringing in shows like Blue’s Clues and Dora the Explorer. She saw the vision of the show, and she’s been a big champion of it….

Also, the Internet helped immensely. We put a (self-financed) trailer out on the Internet and within a couple of days, we had two million hits. People were emailing the trailer around. Virally, it made its way onto the desk of Brown Johnson (forwarded by, among others, Jared Hess, director of Napoleon Dynamite). Having it validated by a couple of million people was definitely a good sign.

 

FP: We hear a lot about college students and stoners being into Yo Gabba Gabba. What do you think of its supposed popularity with the druggie crowd?

CJ: Well, it is very colourful…. When I was a kid, Pufnstuf had the same reputation. It’s this world that doesn’t exist, and yet you’d really like it to exist — it’s the ultimate sandbox.

 

FP: Yo Gabba Gabba incorporates a lot of life lessons about things like eating your veggies and getting along with others. The title of the live show, There’s a Party in My City! is a play on one of your best-known songs, There’s a Party in My Tummy! The idea of the song, and its animated video, is that healthy foods like green beans have heard there’s a party in the kid’s stomach, and they’re sad because they want to go. So that makes the kid eat them. Did that come from personal experience, and does it actually work?

CJ: We both have kids that didn’t want to eat vegetables, but Scott was the one that came up with that game. He would play it at the dinner table. That’s where most of the songs and music spring from, is our own experiences, things like, "Keep trying to put on your seatbelt," or "Don’t bite your friends."

All the time, parents will come up to me and say, "Thank you so much. I was having a problem with this, and (now) we always sing this song."

WireImage
Yo Gabba Gabba co-creator Christian Jacobs performs with his band Aquabats.
WireImage Yo Gabba Gabba co-creator Christian Jacobs performs with his band Aquabats.

 

FP: You’ve said that you want the live show to be a "first concert" for kids. I know you’ve got rock-concert lighting and you encourage everybody to get up and dance. What else will people experience at the arena show?

CJ: Scott and I both come from live touring (backgrounds). Everything we always wished we could do at (our bands’) live shows — like drop thousands of balloons on the crowd, have bubble machines, shoot confetti cannons, have a giant screen playing videos behind the action — we’re able to pull together. We wanted to treat it like U2 going out on tour — an epic, exciting pop show.

 

FP: When all these guest actors and hip bands show up at your TV studio, they must have to go through a transition into a sort of childlike, innocently playful state.

CJ: That’s exactly right. That’s something we look for in the guests…. It’s not like we would take just anybody, any celebrity. They really have to have that kind of exuberance and enthusiasm and childlike zeal…. Jack Black, you could tell by something in his eyes, he was doing it for his two sons…. It’s that kind of energy that we look for.

alison.mayes@freepress.mb.ca

 

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Selkirk physiotherapist Pachal looks to finish strong at Natural Strongman Worlds

Grace Penner 5 minute read Preview

Selkirk physiotherapist Pachal looks to finish strong at Natural Strongman Worlds

Grace Penner 5 minute read 5:55 PM CDT

Over 250 competitors from 20 countries will descend on Paisley, Scotland, this week for the Natural Strongman Worlds. There the athletes will meet personal goals, test their endurance over a multiple-day event, and a winner from both the men’s and women’s division will be crowned the fittest of them all.

Selkirk’s own Tom Pachal will be competing in the under 80-kilogram weight class. Pachal has been surrounded by the fitness lifestyle his whole career, multitasking as a physiotherapist and owning the Iron Image Barbell Club in Selkirk.

“I’m very involved in the health, wellness, fitness, (and) rehabilitation community. I love being an overall active person and helping others,” Pachal said.

Starting off as a power lifter, Pachal was excited to transition over to the Strongman competitions, something that was less repetitive and more unpredictable.

Read
5:55 PM CDT

Close to 5,000 net new health-care workers added since 2023 election, province says

Chris Kitching 7 minute read Preview

Close to 5,000 net new health-care workers added since 2023 election, province says

Chris Kitching 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:43 PM CDT

More doctors and nurses are working in Manitoba than ever before but health-care challenges remain, Premier Wab Kinew says.

The province has added 4,725 net new health-care workers to the provincial system since the NDP won the October 2023 election, Kinew told reporters Tuesday.

The government’s total includes 370 doctors, 1,464 nurses, 2,152 health-care aides and 607 allied health professionals, a group that includes physiotherapists, dietitians, paramedics, medical lab technologists and others.

Kinew said more doctors and nurses are working in Manitoba than ever before.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:43 PM CDT

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Yesterday at 5:35 PM CDT

A West Broadway landlord is off the hook for clearing a large riverbank encampment after the City of Winnipeg rescinded an order threatening to stick him with the cleanup bill.

Marvin Sharp, CEO of Astroid Management Ltd., which operates the Pen-Eve Apartments at 35 Balmoral St., said he received a call from the city Tuesday letting him know the order has been cancelled.

In a statement from the city, an official said the order was shelved due to an existing and active easement on the property.

“We have been communicating with the property owner throughout this process and they have been informed of this development,” a spokesperson said.

Read
Yesterday at 5:35 PM CDT

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: 5:55 PM CDT

Canada-U.S. Minister Dominic LeBlanc smiled widely beside U.S. President Donald Trump's trade czar in Washington on Wednesday as they touted a draft deal which appears to have averted a new round of punishing tariffs on Canada.

Read
Updated: 5:55 PM CDT

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Preview

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

A three-person crew, employed by the city as part of its recently expanded proactive cleanup program, allowed the Free Press to follow along last week while they worked to make the Freight House Recreation Centre's property safe to play in.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read 5:13 PM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
5:13 PM CDT