Katz thinks Coyotes won’t move
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 28/04/2011 (5593 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
MAYOR Sam Katz has waded back into the return-of-the-NHL fracas, this time speculating the Phoenix Coyotes will remain in Arizona.
Speaking to reporters outside his office following Wednesday’s city council meeting, Katz said he does not believe the troubled Phoenix franchise will return to its Winnipeg birthplace.
“Do I believe the Coyotes are coming to Winnipeg? My answer would be no,” Katz said.
“I believe the Coyotes will stay in Phoenix and they will do everything they can, because I happen to know some of the commitments that were made when they went there. And there were commitments that if they weren’t fulfilled, there could easily be a lawsuit. So I think you have to start looking at some of the other potential franchises.”
The mayor did not name any specific franchise. In 2010, he said he believed the Atlanta Thrashers were coming.
Katz said Winnipeg is capable of supporting an NHL franchise once more, but encouraged fans not to get their hopes up or listen to rumours about the club’s imminent return.
The mayor went on to suggest True North Sports and Entertainment’s ability to purchase an NHL team allows the NHL to use Winnipeg as leverage against NHL cities struggling to retain their franchises.
Meanwhile, rookie Elmwood Coun. Thomas Steen, who played centre for the Winnipeg Jets from 1981 to 1995, said he believes NHL players will enjoy playing in Winnipeg again should a team relocate to Manitoba.
“There were sometimes rumours around the league Winnipeg was cold or not a nice place to live,” he said. “After they had been here for a while, most of the guys loved it.”
Steen said he was amused by negative comments made about Winnipeg by Coyotes goalie Ilya Bryzgalov, who hails from Tolyatti, a Russian city east of Moscow.
Steen said he played in Tolyatti in the late 1990s as a member of the Berlin Polar Bears and was taken aback by the crime.
“When I was there, we couldn’t leave the hotel,” he said. “They were going to rob us, so we had armed guards in the hotel lobby.”
— Bartley Kives