Northern exposure

Flin Flon musical fans no longer Les Misérables after troupe finally gets rights to stage Broadway behemoth

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Do you hear the people sing?

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Opinion

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 30/04/2015 (4129 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Do you hear the people sing?

That stirring anthem is almost audible all the way from Flin Flon, where the mega-musical Les Misérables opens May 1, at the R.H. Channing Auditorium. It’s been 15 years since Crystal Kolt dreamed a dream of the people of the northern mining outpost creating their own production of Les Misérables, one the largest and most successful franchises in the history of musical theatre.

Every year Kolt, the artistic director of the Flin Flon Community Choir, would make the call to New York City and launch into her pitch to pry the rights to Les Misérables out of licence-holder Music Theatre International. And every year she was refused — like every other professional and amateur troupe — owing to the unprecedented success of the stage spectacle on Broadway, in London and on tour.

Daniel Dillon photo
After 15 years of applying, the Flin Flon Community Choir was finally successful in getting the rights to perform Les Misérables.
Daniel Dillon photo After 15 years of applying, the Flin Flon Community Choir was finally successful in getting the rights to perform Les Misérables.

Her persistence left her on a first-name basis with the agent.

“My feeling was always, ‘Why not?'” she said recently over the telephone. “I told them it was ridiculous. I didn’t think I would live long enough to see Les Misérables in Flin Flon.”

Over the years, the ambitious 80-voice choir made do with presenting other big-name musicals such as Titanic, Chicago and Fiddler on the Roof, but the 30-year-old Alain Boublil/Claude-Michel Schoneberg musical, based on Victor Hugo’s epic tale of redemption, was Kolt’s must-have.

“Les Misérables, for me, is the holy grail of musicals,” she says.

This year, she made the call again and was directed to apply online; a day later, she was informed by email the community choir had been granted the rights.

“I called New York immediately and did a little ‘whoo-whoo’ and thanked them,” she recalls. “I still don’t know why we got them.”

The coup was announced locally last June at a get-together of about 80 theatre-lovers, who were watching the Tony Awards on a big-screen TV at Johnny’s Social Club. On an easel sat an envelope with the words, “The next Flin Flon musical theatre production is ….” A black curtain was pulled away to reveal a Les Misérables poster.

“Everyone gasped,” says Kolt. “I mean, we have been hoping for it for such a long time. Then we passed around the lyrics to The People’s Song and sang our hearts out.”

Kolt thought Flin Flon might have the distinction of hosting the most northern Les Mis ever produced, but she has since learned of presentations in Reykjavik and Anchorage.

“That blows our north-of-the-54th parallel out of the dust,” she says. “Never thought that I would wish that I was further north.”

Kolt estimates that about 2,000 of Flin Flon’s population of 5,000 will either see Les Misérables, perform in it or offer their skills behind the scenes. The three performances this weekend have been sold out for weeks.

With the price tag at $50,000 — the town’s arts council works on an annual budget of $21,000 — organizers had to work their fundraising muscles hard. A tag day in March when it was -30 C and an evening of Broadway music helped fill the coffers.

Every year, Kolt and town officials have attempted to raise the bar on the quality of the shows. For Les Misérables, they decided to go all-out for the first time and bring in a professional director, Winnipeg’s Ann Hodges.

“We needed a director who would realize that, yes, we are technically an amateur company, but at the same time know we don’t want to do anything that people would think is amateur,” she says. “We want to present something professional. It’s because I believe everyone here deserves that. People know what quality is like.”

 

— — —

 

Theatre by the River will launch its 10th anniversary season May 1 with its annual Wine & Words fundraiser at the Winnipeg Art Gallery.

This is the fifth edition of the company’s pairing of tasty wines with the nouveau writings of Canadian authors. TBTR is partnering this year with the WAG, which just opened Olympus: The Greco-Roman Collection of Berlin. The exhibit is also the subject matter for the writers who sent in new stories or works in progress.

“Some pieces were inspired by Greek gods or art in general or are set in museums and art galleries,” says TBTR artistic director Mel Marginet. “The writers were allowed to take that subject and run with it.”

There are 15 submissions, including ones from Toronto playwriting darling Hannah Moscovitch and Governor General’s Award-winning dramatist Jordan Tannahill, storyteller Leigh-Anne Kehler and University of Manitoba professor George Toles.

The submissions will be read by members of the theatre/arts community, such as Rainbow Stage artistic director Ray Hogg, actress Pat Hunter, playwright Ian Ross, Nan Fewchuk and Solomund MacPherson.

Tickets are $30 ($20 of which goes to TBTR) for an event that provides a crucial financial lifeline to the professional independent theatre.

“For us, it’s extremely important,” Marginet says. “We don’t receive any operational funding. So we have no staff. We have to fundraise 100 per cent for anything we need.”

TBTR debuted in 2006 with The Comedy of Errors on the riverbank in Assiniboine Park and has produced 18 other plays, the last pair being Cock and Bull in repertory last September. The first show of its 10th season is Simon Stephen’s one-man show, Sea Wall, to be presented during the Winnipeg Fringe Theatre Festival in July.

“It’s great reaching this milestone, because you get to look where you were 10 years ago,” Marginet says. “We were just coming out of our training in our early 20s and trying to find our place. I couldn’t have imagined then where we are today.”

kevin.prokosh@freepress.mb.ca

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

First week at supervised drug consumption site issue-free: premier

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

First week at supervised drug consumption site issue-free: premier

Free Press staff 2 minute read Yesterday at 7:17 PM CDT

There were no issues to report after the first week of operations for Manitoba’s first supervised drug consumption site, Premier Wab Kinew said Tuesday.

The Winnipeg space, operating temporarily out of the fenced-off parking lot at 366 Henry Ave. while the adjacent building, which is to become the permanent site, undergoes renovations, opened Aug. 11.

Opening the long-awaited supervised consumption facility was a 2023 NDP election promise to keep people alive in the midst of a toxic street-drug crisis.

Kinew said the facility, which is being run by the Aboriginal Health and Wellness Centre for the province, had quietly served at least 125 clients as of earlier in the week.

Read
Yesterday at 7:17 PM CDT

Letters, Aug. 18

7 minute read Preview

Letters, Aug. 18

7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:57 AM CDT

A huge shout out to David Asper, coach Mike Raimbault and his staff, all those involved in game-day and office activities and all the Winnipeg Sea Bears players for an outstanding and very entertaining championship basketball season.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:57 AM CDT

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Preview

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

A three-person crew, employed by the city as part of its recently expanded proactive cleanup program, allowed the Free Press to follow along last week while they worked to make the Freight House Recreation Centre's property safe to play in.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Dream season for Ponder who has yet to miss a cut on PGA Tour Americas

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Dream season for Ponder who has yet to miss a cut on PGA Tour Americas

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Yesterday at 8:13 PM CDT

He may not be a household name to average golf fans just yet, but that’s likely about to change rather quickly.

And local lovers of the sport might want to hurry down to Elmhurst this week to catch a glimpse of Thomas Ponder before he’s off to play where the grass is even greener. Or, at the very least, where the paycheques are much bigger.

Ponder enters this year’s Manitoba Open atop the PGA Tour Americas points list and is a virtual lock to, at the very least, earn promotion to the Korn Ferry Tour for 2027, which is awarded to the top 10 finishers.

A jump directly to the PGA Tour — the way recent Manitoba Open winners such as Hayden Springer and Johnny Keefer, and other competitors such as Neal Shipley and Michael Brennan, have made — wouldn’t be a huge surprise, either.

Read
Yesterday at 8:13 PM CDT

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Two men in electric ankle bracelets who were being monitored by justice officials have been accused in a two-month spree of commercial break-ins, vehicle thefts and other property crimes.

City police have charged one of the suspects and are searching for the second.

About $140,000 worth of property, including trailers, lawn equipment, motorcycles and bicycles, was reported stolen in 13 incidents in Winnipeg and the Rural Municipality of Headingley between April 20 and June 28, the Winnipeg Police Service said.

Both suspects were wearing electronic monitoring bracelets during that time.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Daycare, family centre addition will turn care home into intergenerational community hub

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Preview

Daycare, family centre addition will turn care home into intergenerational community hub

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Seven-year-olds and 70-somethings will socialize daily when a 152-spot daycare opens inside of a seniors’ residence in Winnipeg in a couple of years.

Construction on a new wing of the Saul and Claribel Simkin Centre is scheduled to begin this fall, it was announced Monday.

The project won’t be complete for at least 22 months, but it’s already being touted as a made-in-Manitoba model for intergenerational community hubs across the country.

“It’s a real good idea to mix the younger generation with the older generation,” said Allan Rutherford, a 79-year-old resident of the 200-bed personal care home in Linden Ridge.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026