Victoria’s Secret show tumbles to lowest ratings

Advertisement

Advertise with us

NEW YORK - As a television event, the Victoria's Secret fashion show appears headed for the remainder bin.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 04/12/2018 (2813 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

NEW YORK – As a television event, the Victoria’s Secret fashion show appears headed for the remainder bin.

The show has been buffeted by bad publicity, bad reviews and now bad numbers. Shown Sunday on ABC after several years on CBS, its audience of 3.27 million viewers was the smallest since becoming a holiday-season TV event in 2001, the Nielsen company said. The show has lost more than half its television audience in two years.

The runway-style show of models in underwear has seemed ill-suited to the #MeToo era and was hurt when the company’s head of marketing said in an interview that it would not include transgender or plus-sized models because Victoria’s Secret was selling a fantasy. The company later apologized.

FILE - In this Nov. 8, 2018 file photo, models Martha Hunt, from left, Lais Ribeiro, Josephine Skriver, Sara Sampaio, Stella Maxwell and Romee Strijd walk the runway during the 2018 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show in New York. Shown on ABC Sunday after several years on CBS, its audience of 3.27 million viewers was the smallest since becoming a holiday season TV event in 2001. The Nielsen company said the show has lost more than half its television audience in two years.(Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP, File)
FILE - In this Nov. 8, 2018 file photo, models Martha Hunt, from left, Lais Ribeiro, Josephine Skriver, Sara Sampaio, Stella Maxwell and Romee Strijd walk the runway during the 2018 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show in New York. Shown on ABC Sunday after several years on CBS, its audience of 3.27 million viewers was the smallest since becoming a holiday season TV event in 2001. The Nielsen company said the show has lost more than half its television audience in two years.(Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP, File)

After one year on ABC in 2001, the show migrated to CBS. Its viewership ranged from a high of 10.3 million in 2011 to 7.36 million in 2016, Nielsen said. Last year, however, the viewership tumbled to 5.37 million, leading to its departure to ABC.

A review of Sunday’s show in The Washington Post was headlined, “The Victoria’s Secret fashion show is too boring to even argue about.”

“The whole hour-long shindig was a bore,” wrote fashion critic Robin Givhan. “A snooze. A shrug. Oh, my Lord, it was dull.”

Givhan wrote that the TV special “was such a nonevent of excruciating cliches and non-sexiness that it’s not worth a cultural revolution. It’s a teardown. Or we could all just get out of the way and let it rot until it falls down on its own.”

There’s no immediate word from ABC about whether it will return. Even with its sinking ratings, the show got about twice as many viewers as Alec Baldwin’s Sunday-night talk show, which aired in the same time slot until it was recently moved to Saturday nights.

The television ratings were otherwise dominated by football in a week many networks turned to reruns. Of Nielsen’s 20 most-watched programs last week, there were only four scripted programs — led by NBC’s “This is Us.”

With a strong Thursday-night NFL game, Fox led all networks with an average of 8.3 million viewers in prime time. NBC had 6.9 million, CBS had 6.2 million, ABC had 4.1 million, Univision had 1.5 million, ION Television had 1.3 million, Telemundo had 1.2 million and the CW had 1.1 million.

Hallmark soared to the top of the cable news ratings with its nonstop holiday fare, averaging 2.108 million viewers in prime time. ESPN was a fraction short at 2.107 million, Fox News Channel had 2.01 million, MSNBC had 1.88 million and USA had 1.21 million.

ABC’s “World News Tonight” topped the evening newscasts with an average of 9.1 million viewers. NBC’s “Nightly News” was second with 9 million and the “CBS Evening News” had 6.4 million.

For the week of Nov. 26-Dec. 2, the top 10 shows, their networks and viewerships: NFL Football: New Orleans at Dallas, Fox, 21.39 million; NFL Football: L.A. Chargers at Pittsburgh, NBC, 17.83 million; “NFL Pregame Show,” Fox, 12.2 million; “NFL Pregame Show,” NBC, 11.91 million; “60 Minutes,” CBS, 10.41 million; “The OT,” Fox, 10.1 million; “SEC Championship Postgame Show,” CBS, 9.93 million; NFL Football: Tennessee at Houston, ESPN, 9.86 million; “The Voice” (Tuesday), NBC, 9.57 million; “The Voice” (Monday), NBC, 9.38 million.

___

ABC is owned by The Walt Disney Co. CBS is owned by CBS Corp. CW is a joint venture of Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS Corp. Fox is owned by 21st Century Fox. NBC and Telemundo are owned by Comcast Corp. ION Television is owned by ION Media Networks.

___

Online:

http://www.nielsen.com

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Best to fess up about grandkid-sitting fatigue

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Dear Miss Lonelyhearts: We love our grandchildren, but now we’re sick of them. The two sets of parents — our adult children — have been parking their kids out here on the farm with us while they take back-to-back road trips to see their friends. We’ve had enough.

Grandma and I want them to come back and get the “brats” (just joking, they’re nice kids) so we can relax.

You have to be so careful with city kids around the farm who don’t know when they’re going to make a mistake and get hoofed by an animal or run over by a farm implement.

How do we tell our kids the party is over early, and they really need to come back before grandma and I give out?

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Preview

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

A Winnipeg foster mother has admitted to violently assaulting her ill foster daughter and leaving her paralyzed after the girl resisted the woman’s efforts to provide her with medication, a court has heard.

Marilyn Keno, 26, pleaded guilty Friday to one count of aggravated assault.

Keno remains in custody and will be sentenced at a later date following the completion of a court-ordered pre-sentence report.

The maximum sentence for aggravated assault is 14 years in prison. Crown attorney Alanna Littman and defence lawyer Jeremy Kostiuk did not disclose what sentences they will be recommending.

Read
Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

Manitoba man lied about abduction: N.D. police

Scott Billeck 2 minute read 3:17 PM CDT

U.S. authorities say a Manitoba man falsely claimed he had been kidnapped and taken across the Canada-U.S. border over the weekend.

Roderick Garson, 37, is being held in a county jail near Alexandria, Minn., after he was arrested and charged with falsely reporting a crime.

The arrest stems from a report police received Saturday that a man had been abducted with a weapon in Manitoba and taken across the border into the United States.

The investigation led U.S. authorities to Alexandria, about two hours northwest of Minneapolis, where police located the reported victim and suspect after the latter ran into a local store claiming he had escaped from his 31-year-old unnamed captor.

Cross-border abduction under investigation

1 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 12:40 PM CDT

A cross-border kidnapping from Winnipeg to Minnesota is under investigation, according to North Dakota state patrol.

A 31-year-old Manitoba man abducted a 37-year-old Manitoba man in Winnipeg and drove across the border into North Dakota, the North Dakota State Highway Patrol said in a Facebook post Sunday. The state patrol said it became aware of the possible abduction Sunday morning and worked with local, federal and Canadian law enforcement to investigate.

Authorities identified a suspect vehicle using cameras at multiple locations and used cell-phone location information and licence-plate reader technology to find the vehicle in Alexandria, Minnesota.

"The victim was able to break free from the suspect and run into a nearby store. The suspect was taken into custody shortly afterward by the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office and Alexandria Police Department. The victim was recovered safely," the North Dakota state patrol's post reads.

Two-time cancer survivor trades blows with angry Lake Winnipeg in epic 12-hour fundraising swim

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Preview

Two-time cancer survivor trades blows with angry Lake Winnipeg in epic 12-hour fundraising swim

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Updated: 2:46 PM CDT

After 12 hours of wind, waves and a painful shoulder, Jonathon Fenton has finished what he started, making it across Lake Winnipeg.

The 62-year-old two-time cancer survivor completed the roughly 26-kilometre swim Sunday, a year after shoulder problems forced him to stop 16 kilometres into his first attempt.

The swim was the second year of Fenton’s Jonny’s Big Swim fundraiser, which supports the Alberta Cancer Foundation, CancerCare Manitoba Foundation and Health Sciences Centre Foundation.

He raised roughly $48,000 this year, bringing the two-year total to about $90,000.

Read
Updated: 2:46 PM CDT

‘You vote with your bike’: cyclists celebrate freedoms, call for increased safety

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Preview

‘You vote with your bike’: cyclists celebrate freedoms, call for increased safety

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Updated: 9:24 AM CDT

Patty Wiens got dressed up in her sparkly, hot pink cowboy boots to pedal and talk politics with more than 100 other people on Sunday.

The founder of Winnipeg’s Fancy Women Bike Ride called on attendees of the 2026 event to ask candidates in the upcoming civic election — a half-dozen of whom were in attendance — about their active transportation platforms.

“We’re here today, in an election year, to remind you that you vote with your bike,” Wiens told a crowd of nearly 120 cyclists gathered on the legislature grounds for the group ride.

“When (city council) candidates come to your door and ask what’s important to you, you’re going to say, ‘I want to ride my bike safely in the city. What are you going to do about it?’”

Read
Updated: 9:24 AM CDT