Star striker Fredy Montero returning to Vancouver Whitecaps
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 15/02/2019 (2741 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
VANCOUVER – Star striker Fredy Montero is returning to the Vancouver Whitecaps.
The Major League Soccer club announced on Friday that it has signed the 31-year-old Colombian forward to a two-year deal.
The news comes after Sporting CP of the Portuguese Primeira Liga issued a statement earlier in the day saying it had released Montero the from his contract.
Montero played for the Seattle Sounders from 2009 through 2012, tallying 47 goals and 34 assists across 119 regular-season games and becoming the club’s career leading scorer.
He also spent the 2017 season with the Whitecaps, appearing in 33 regular-season games and putting up 13 goals and six assists.
Montero says in a statement that Vancouver is a special place for him and his family.
“I’m blessed and excited to be back,” he said. “The city and fans welcomed us in 2017, and I’m ready to score goals and give my all to the club once again.”
Whitecaps head coach Marc Dos Santos said the five-foot-nine, 165-pound striker is returning to a city where he’s had incredible success.
“He gives us a proven goalscorer and an important presence in our locker room,” he said.
Because he holds a U.S. green card, Montero will not occupy an international roster spot. The Whitecaps have not yet determined whether he will be a designated player.
Dos Santos said Montero will join the team in California, where the Whitecaps are currently training and playing pre-season games.
The Whitecaps will kick off their season against Minnesota on March 2.