Chelsea makes complaint to UEFA about racist abuse
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 18/03/2019 (2709 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
LONDON – Chelsea made a complaint to UEFA about racist abuse being aimed at one of its players by Dynamo Kyiv fans during a Europa League match, the English club said Monday.
The abuse — reportedly targeted at Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi, who is black — took place near the end of its 5-0 win in the round of 16 on Thursday and was reported to the referee at the final whistle.
Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck and club secretary David Barnard then spoke to UEFA’s match delegate.
“We wholeheartedly condemn such abhorrent behaviour,” Chelsea said in a statement. “We expect UEFA to conduct a fulsome investigation.”
Chelsea didn’t specify which player was the target of the racist abuse. The club made the statement hours before England called up Hudson-Odoi for upcoming European Championship qualifiers.
“It’s a dream come true,” said the winger, who replaced the injured Luke Shaw and did not comment on the apparent racist abuse in Ukraine. “Now I’ve got to work hard, enjoy every moment and keep working to just hopefully make an impact when I get the opportunity.”
Britain’s Press Association reported that monkey chants were heard from a small group of Dynamo Kyiv fans in the corner of the end Chelsea was attacking.
That part of the stadium is home to the Rodychi fan group, which displays far-right symbols and was accused of involvement in several violent attacks last time Dynamo hosted Chelsea.
In 2015, Dynamo fans attacked at least eight Chelsea supporters during a Champions League game. Most of the victims were black, and some were white who tried to protect the black fans.
UEFA’s anti-discrimination monitoring partner, Fare, which sends observers to major European games, captured video of four black men being chased through the crowd. The incidents all occurred in and around the Rodychi sector, though the group denied wrongdoing.
Dynamo was ordered to play two matches behind closed doors and fined 100,000 euros (then $110,000). Both punishments were halved on appeal.
Earlier that year, UEFA fined Dynamo and closed part of the stadium for racist fan behaviour at a Europa League game against Everton.
Last month, UEFA ended an investigation into anti-Semitic chants by Chelsea fans at a Europa League game against Vidi in Hungary. Chelsea had condemned the behaviour of its supporters, apologizing and saying it is “abhorrent to this club,” but did not face a sanction.
___
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports