Wes Short Jr. takes 1-shot lead at Senior British Open

Advertisement

Advertise with us

LYTHAM ST. ANNES, England - Wes Short Jr. shot his second straight 3-under 67 on Friday to take a one-shot lead after two rounds of the Senior British Open.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/07/2019 (2579 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

LYTHAM ST. ANNES, England – Wes Short Jr. shot his second straight 3-under 67 on Friday to take a one-shot lead after two rounds of the Senior British Open.

After an up-and-down second round at Royal Lytham & St. Annes that included a double bogey on the par-4 sixth, Short closed with three straight birdies to post 6-under 134 and take the solo lead at a senior major for the first time.

“I like it. It makes you think,” Short said of the English links that has hosted the British Open 11 times. “I played a lot of different shots off the tee and tried to avoid the bunkers and had a really nice (run) birdieing the last three.”

FILE- In this Thursday, June 29, 2017 file photo, Wes Short Jr. of the U.S holds up his ball during the first round of the U.S. Senior Open golf tournament, in Peabody, Mass. American Wes Short Jr. shot a 3-under 67 Friday, July 26, 2019 to take a sole lead after the second round of the Senior British Open. He opened with three birdies before suffering a setback with a double-bogey followed by a bogey. Three straight birdies on the final three holes secured a lead for him with a 6-under 134. Fellow Americans Scott Dunlap is second one stroke back. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer, file)
FILE- In this Thursday, June 29, 2017 file photo, Wes Short Jr. of the U.S holds up his ball during the first round of the U.S. Senior Open golf tournament, in Peabody, Mass. American Wes Short Jr. shot a 3-under 67 Friday, July 26, 2019 to take a sole lead after the second round of the Senior British Open. He opened with three birdies before suffering a setback with a double-bogey followed by a bogey. Three straight birdies on the final three holes secured a lead for him with a 6-under 134. Fellow Americans Scott Dunlap is second one stroke back. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer, file)

Fellow American Scott Dunlap shot 68 and was one shot back. He bounced back from an early double bogey on the par-3 fourth.

“I never played any of the regular Opens here, but I’ve played the golf course probably a half a dozen times and loved it,” Dunlap said. “I really wanted to be here and see what it was like in tournament competition, and so far, so good.”

Darren Clarke of Northern Ireland, who won the 2011 British Open at Royal St. George’s, was third at 4 under after his second consecutive 68 in his Senior Open debut.

“I missed everything today. Kept giving myself opportunities and just not making anything,” Clarke said. “Particularly frustrating, whenever I give myself those chances and not take them, and hopefully that doesn’t cost me at the end of the week. Tee-to-green has all been pretty good. I got off to a bit of a dodgy start today, but after that I played nicely.”

Retief Goosen, the two-time U.S. Open champion who won the Senior Players Championship earlier this month for his first over-50 title, shot 67 and was 3 under alongside Ken Duke (69) and Bart Bryant (68).

Three-time Senior Open champion Bernhard Langer was four shots back after a 67, and defending champion Miguel Angel Jimenez shot 68 to post 1 under.

In his 18th appearance in the event, three-time champion Tom Watson shot 70 to make the cut with a shot to spare at 4 over. Watson has never missed the cut in the Senior Open.

Geoffrey Nicholas of Australia, who qualified for the Senior Open to become the first amputee to compete in a senior major, shot rounds of 88-86. Nicholas’ right leg was amputated at age 11 because of a birth defect.

___

More AP golf: https://apnews.com/apf-Golf and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Report Error Submit a Tip

Golf

LOAD GOLF ARTICLES