Another coronavirus case in German soccer before key meeting

Advertisement

Advertise with us

AUE, Germany - Second-division German soccer club Erzgebirge Aue put its entire squad in home isolation on Tuesday after a member of staff tested positive for the coronavirus.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 05/05/2020 (2298 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

AUE, Germany – Second-division German soccer club Erzgebirge Aue put its entire squad in home isolation on Tuesday after a member of staff tested positive for the coronavirus.

It was the first confirmed case in the German league’s second round of testing, coming a day before a government meeting on loosening lockdown measures to pave the way for soccer to return in empty stadiums.

Aue didn’t name the staff member involved or say how the person could have contracted the coronavirus. The club didn’t report any positive tests from the first round of testing last week.

FILE - In this file photo dated Friday, Jan. 24, 2020, action during the Cologne against Dortmund German Bundesliga soccer match between in Dortmund, Germany. Cologne soccer club said Friday May 2, 2020, that three people at the club had tested positive for the coronavirus, but didn't name them or say whether they were players. (AP Photo/Martin Meissner, FILE)
FILE - In this file photo dated Friday, Jan. 24, 2020, action during the Cologne against Dortmund German Bundesliga soccer match between in Dortmund, Germany. Cologne soccer club said Friday May 2, 2020, that three people at the club had tested positive for the coronavirus, but didn't name them or say whether they were players. (AP Photo/Martin Meissner, FILE)

All players, coaches and backroom staff will stay at home ahead of more coronavirus testing on Thursday, though German soccer’s restart plan doesn’t require automatic quarantine measures.

Ten people tested positive last week from the 36 clubs in the top two men’s divisions. That included two Cologne players and a staff member. The club did not put its squad in isolation, nor did second-division club Stuttgart, which reported one “inconclusive result.”

The other cases have not been publicly attributed to any club. The German Football League, which oversees the top two divisions, has asked clubs not to disclose cases.

Last week, Chancellor Angela Merkel and 16 state governors postponed a decision on whether the Bundesliga could resume without fans present. She warned there was still a danger that COVID-19 infections could rise if containment measures were relaxed too soon.

A meeting between Merkel and the governors on Wednesday will discuss resuming soccer in Germany. The league’s plan has faced public criticism regarding the use of coronavirus testing kits on people who appear healthy, and concerns that fans could gather near stadiums.

There was a further backlash Monday after Hertha Berlin forward Salomon Kalou live-streamed a video of himself greeting teammates with physical contact and bursting in on a teammate’s coronavirus test. Kalou was suspended by the club.

Commenting on the incident on Tuesday, Health Minister Jens Spahn said German soccer’s plan was sound despite the flouting of social distancing shown in Kalou’s video.

“The basic concept makes sense and can also be an example for other pro sports categories, by the way. But it has to be lived, too,” Spahn told Deutschlandfunk radio.

The influential state governor of Bavaria, Markus Söder, was more critical.

“The league makes excellent concepts and then there are individual players, who you can read about, who are behaving very, very, very incorrectly,” he said in televised comments. “I find it good, too, that the professional clubs take a very hard stand against it because that brings the whole concept into disrepute.”

Clubs in the top two divisions have committed to finishing the season by the end of June.

The first step to resuming the season is to get teams back into full training, rather than the small group sessions they’ve run in recent weeks.

Title contender Leipzig has clearance to train after the state of Saxony updated its rules on the coronavirus Monday. Wolfsburg team manager Jörg Schmadtke told the German website Sportbuzzer that his side was also resuming full-team training after talks with the mayor.

___

More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Report Error Submit a Tip

Soccer

LOAD SOCCER ARTICLES