The latest developments on COVID-19 in Canada

Advertisement

Advertise with us

The latest news on the COVID-19 global pandemic (all times Eastern):

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 11/05/2020 (2289 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The latest news on the COVID-19 global pandemic (all times Eastern):

6:35 p.m.

British Columbia has recorded 23 new cases of COVID-19 in the last two days, bringing the number of people who have tested positive in the province to 2,353.

A grocery store security guard takes peoples temperatures prior to allowing them into the store in downtown Vancouver on Wednesday, April 29, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
A grocery store security guard takes peoples temperatures prior to allowing them into the store in downtown Vancouver on Wednesday, April 29, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward

B.C.’s death toll has reached 130 after one more person died.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says while the rate of infection is lower, COVID-19 is still a risk and the right balance needs to be met when the province gradually lifts restrictions starting next week.

There are 1,719 people who have recovered from the virus.

6:20 p.m.

Alberta is reporting 47 new cases of COVID-19 and two additional deaths from the illness.

Dr. Deena Hinshaw, the province’s chief medical health officer, says the new deaths were at continuing care facilities.

She says another death reported over the weekend was of a worker at the Cargill meat-packing plant in High River.

The worker fell ill and was hospitalized about one month ago.

It’s the second death of a worker at the plant.

4:10 p.m.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford has admitted that he recently had two of his daughters visit him, apparently contrary to official provincial advice.

Ford was asked today if the concept of two-household bubbles would come to Ontario soon, as it has in some other provinces.

In his reply, Ford said two of his daughters who don’t live with him had already visited. Two other daughters live in the home.

The province’s own novel coronavirus website, however, advises no contact outside someone’s home.

Ontario’s chief medical officer of health, Dr. David Williams, said his advice had not changed.

4:10 p.m.

Saskatchewan is reporting a decline in new COVID-19 cases from the far north.

The remote Dene village of La Loche, 600 kilometres northwest of Saskatoon, has been dealing with a spike in cases after the virus was brought in from an oil sands work camp in Alberta.

After days of reporting double-digit increases in new cases, the province announced four new ones on Monday.

It says all of them are from La Loche.

Of Saskatchewan’s 568 total cases, 197 of them are from the far north.

So far, 363 people have recovered and six have died.

2:25 p.m.

New Brunswick is reporting no new cases of COVID-19 keeping the province’s total at 120.

Dr. Jennifer Russell, chief medical officer of health, says 118 people are considered recovered from the virus.

Russell announced a change to visitor restrictions at long-term care homes and hospitals that would allow two people to visit patients who are nearing the end of their lives.

She says only one visitor will be allowed in at one time, although an exception can be made in certain circumstances such as a frail elderly visitor seeing their spouse.

2:15 p.m.

Manitoba is reporting two new cases of COVID-19, bringing the provincial total to 289.

Chief Provincial Public Health Officer Dr. Brent Roussin says two more cases have also been linked to a workplace cluster in the Prairie Mountain Health region, bringing the total to 10.

Manitoba Hydro announced today that the Crown utility will be sending layoff notices to between 600 and 700 employees this week.

The temporary layoffs will last four months, and Hydro says it will provide about $11 million in cost savings as the province tackles the economic downturn due to the pandemic.

1:10 p.m.

Quebec is reporting an additional 85 deaths from COVID-19, bringing the provincial total to 3,013.

The total number of cases has risen to 38,469, an increase of 748 from the previous day.

Of those cases, 9,703 are classified as recovered.

On the day that elementary schools reopened in much of the province, Quebec Premier Francois Legault said the situation in Montreal remains “fragile” and a reopening of schools and shops planned there for May 25 could be further delayed.

12:55 p.m.

Federal Health Minister Patty Hajdu is leaving the door open to the federal government leading discussions with provinces around the creation of new standards for long-term care facilities.

Hajdu says all levels of government are focused at the moment on dealing with COVID-19, but that the federal government believes much more must be done to protect residents of long-term care facilities, which have been hit hard by the pandemic.

That includes replacing the guidelines that largely govern how such facilities operate with established standards, though Hajdu did not offer specifics.

Deaths in long-term care facilities now account for more than 80 per cent of the roughly 4,500 deaths from COVID-19 in Canada.

12:45 p.m.

Prince Edward Island is reporting no new cases of COVID-19 following the weekend, keeping the province’s number of confirmed cases at 27.

Chief Public Health Officer, Dr. Heather Morrison, says all of the confirmed cases are now considered recovered.

Morrison says 255 negative tests were registered over the weekend.

She says there is no evidence of community transmission of COVID-19 on the Island.

12:40 p.m.

Newfoundland and Labrador is reporting no new cases of COVID-19.

There are 261 confirmed cases of the illness in the province and 244 people have recovered.

The province is relaxing some restrictions today with some businesses and outdoor spaces allowed to open.

Funerals, weddings and burials can now take place with a limit of 10 people, but officials say the changes do not mean people can throw parties and hold other social gatherings.

12:30 p.m.

Canada’s chief public health officer, Dr. Theresa Tam, says there are more than 100 potential vaccines that officials are hoping will prevent COVID-19, though none is more promising than the others.

A vaccine has been seen as critical for returning to pre-pandemic normal, with researchers in Canada and around the world scrambling to develop one as quickly as possible.

Even as that work is going on, Tam says officials are also looking at how a vaccine will be rolled out to people if and when one is discovered.

Health Minister Patty Hajdu says the government is also looking at ways to ensure development and production of a COVID-19 vaccine does not take away from work on the annual flu vaccines that many Canadians get every year.

11:45 a.m.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government will continue to push for caution in terms of lifting COVID-19 restrictions.

Trudeau says leaders across the country are trying to find the right balance in terms of easing back on the lockdown and reopening the economy.

But he says the sacrifices that Canadians have made over the past two months will “all go up in smoke” if the wrong choices are made.

The comments came as schools in parts of Quebec reopened today even though the province has the largest number of COVID-19 cases in the country.

11:35 a.m.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government will make bridge loans available to large companies who cannot otherwise access credit, but that they will be required to make and keep a number of commitments to access the funds.

Those commitments include upholding labour and environmental standards and principles, curbing executive bonuses and dividends and that the companies share their complete financial structure.

Trudeau says the conditions are intended to ensure companies use the money to support their operations and employees, not line executive pockets and that taxpayer funds do not go to companies that use tax havens.

Trudeau says the loans are different from bailouts and will be accessible to all sectors of the economy.

10:55 a.m.

Nova Scotia is reporting one new death related to COVID-19, bringing the province’s total to 48.

Health officials say the death occurred at the Northwood long-term care home in Halifax.

The Northwood facility currently has 156 residents and 18 staff with active cases.

The province is also reporting one new case of the virus bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 1,019.

Nova Scotia has registered 33,869 negative test results, while 767 people have now recovered and their cases of COVID-19 are considered resolved.

10:40 a.m.

Ontario is reporting 308 new cases of COVID-19 today, and 35 more deaths.

That brings the province to a total of 20,546 cases, including 1669 deaths and 15,131 resolved cases.

The total represents a 1.5 per cent increase over Sunday’s total, holding the same low growth rate as in the previous day.

9:45 a.m.

BC Hydro says power demand has dropped across British Columbia during the COVID-19 pandemic and that is raising the risk of flooding as reservoirs fill up.

A report by the Crown Corporation says demand for electricity is down 10 per cent and uncertainty over B.C.’s economic recovery could push the decrease to 12 per cent by 2021.

The report also says reservoirs have the potential to reach capacity due to the drop in power demand, high inflows from spring snowmelt and limited export markets to sell surplus electricity.

To cut flood risks, protect communities and its equipment, BC Hydro says measures include reducing generation by halting operations at some of its smaller plants and spilling water from several of its reservoirs.

Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version had an incorrect figure for the number of potential COVID-19 vaccines Canada’s chief public health officer, Dr. Theresa Tam, says are being monitored.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Free fix is in: repair café aims to keep items out of landfills

Tiago Resko 3 minute read Preview

Free fix is in: repair café aims to keep items out of landfills

Tiago Resko 3 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

Stephen Kirk wants to give people a chance to fix items they’re not ready to let go of.

The Spence Neighbourhood Association staffer took notice when repair cafés started popping up around the world, and he decided to bring the idea to Winnipeg.

The café invites people to bring broken items like bikes, clothes and small kitchen appliances to the association’s headquarters to get free repairs by a team of skilled volunteers.

“Certainly in our neighbourhood, a lot of people’s motivation is economic, they would rather fix it than have to buy a new one,” said Kirk, the environmental and open spaces coordinator for the Spence Neighbourhood Association.

Read
6:00 AM CDT

RCMP searching for missing 34-year-old woman

1 minute read Updated: 8:07 AM CDT

Police are asking for the public’s help locating a 34-year-old woman last heard from almost a week ago.

Tamara Stevens, who also goes by Tammy, was last heard from on Sunday last weekend and was reported missing Tuesday morning, said a Thompson RCMP news release Saturday.

RCMP and family are worried for her well-being.

Stevens is believed to be in Thompson and is described as 5'7, with a slender build and long red hair, said RCMP. She also has a piercing on her lip and was last seen wearing black T-Shirt featuring the Twilight character Jacob, pants and work boots.

Where paths cross

Carina Blumgrund 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Every so often, an ordinary moment turns out to be about something else entirely.

Oliveira shines in win over Redblacks, Collaros rocked again

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Preview

Oliveira shines in win over Redblacks, Collaros rocked again

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

It wasn’t a stellar performance by any stretch.

But at this point, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers will take a win no matter what it looks like.

The Blue and Gold outlasted the winless Ottawa Redblacks 33-21 on a rainy Friday night at Princess Auto Stadium to improve to 5-4.

“It’s great to finally get a win at home for our fans and to go out and play a better game is very encouraging,” said right guard Patrick Neufeld.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Opera group hits pub to stage shows for sophisticated palates

Conrad Sweatman 3 minute read Preview

Opera group hits pub to stage shows for sophisticated palates

Conrad Sweatman 3 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Opera’s famous drinking songs — La Traviata’s Brindisi, Don Giovanni’s Fin ch’han dal vino, Carmen’s Votre Toast — tend to flow with references to women and wine, not beer.

But that hasn’t stopped Winnipeggers from sipping 1919s or Generics at local bar and brewery Little Brown Jug over the past few years to the strains of Verdi, Puccini and Mozart.

Currently in its eighth season, Opera by the Pint has its next LBJ event Wednesday at 7 p.m. (The artists also perform at the Public Brewhouse and Gallery in Steinbach at 7 p.m. on Thursday.)

This week’s program focuses on musical hits, while also featuring traditional Filipino ballads and Mexican art songs.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Volunteer helps keep Nellie McClung’s legacy alive

Tiago Resko 4 minute read Preview

Volunteer helps keep Nellie McClung’s legacy alive

Tiago Resko 4 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

Growing up with ties to the community of Manitou, Gillian Potvin has found great inspiration in the traces of Nellie McClung’s legacy.

The 39-year-old has spent nearly a decade channelling that inspiration back into the community by being a key part of the Nellie McClung Museum of Canada’s marketing and events planning since it opened at 55 Main St., in the southern Manitoba town in 2017.

Utilizing her skills in marketing and digital design for the museum is her way of thanking the woman who fought for the rights she has today and continuing her legacy.

“She helped women to be identified as persons and that’s huge,” she said of the woman born in 1873 and considered one of Canada’s most prominent suffragists. “It’s easy to take for granted some of these rights we now have as women, but there would have been a big fight back in the day to change the things that have always been.”

Read
6:00 AM CDT