Quebec karaoke bar linked to growing COVID-19 outbreak, cases at three schools

Advertisement

Advertise with us

MONTREAL - Health officials in Quebec City said they're fighting a spike in the number of infections in the region after a karaoke bar was linked to dozens of COVID-19 infections, including at three local schools.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 02/09/2020 (2181 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

MONTREAL – Health officials in Quebec City said they’re fighting a spike in the number of infections in the region after a karaoke bar was linked to dozens of COVID-19 infections, including at three local schools.

Jacques Girard, the interim director of the regional health authority, said Wednesday an investigation indicates some of the patrons of Le Kirouac bar went to other bars while contagious, spreading the virus.

“We now have evidence that those people who were COVID-positive, who maybe hadn’t had the results of their tests but who were contagious, went to other places,” he said.

A school bag and a lunch bag are seen in the school yard at the Bancroft Elementary School as students go back to school in Montreal, on Monday, August 31, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
A school bag and a lunch bag are seen in the school yard at the Bancroft Elementary School as students go back to school in Montreal, on Monday, August 31, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson

“It’s there when our alarm signal went off.”

He said the recent rise in cases in the Quebec City area has been traced back to the evening of Aug. 23 at Le Kirouac. That evening alone generated 40 cases of COVID-19.

Some of those people then went on to visit at least six other bars in the Quebec City area, Girard said. He said there hasn’t yet been any evidence of further transmission at those bars, but that could change in the coming days.

Girard says those cases have led to 10 more infections among family members — including three students who returned to school.

The cases have prompted Le Kirouac to close until Sept. 9, and officials to urge the population to respect health directives, especially during alcohol-fuelled gatherings.

Girard is asking anyone in the Quebec City area who visited a bar in the last week to get tested for COVID-19.

The Quebec City region has been grappling with a spike in cases, prompting Girard to urge both bar owners and individuals to be more careful.

On Wednesday, the region reported 23 new positive cases, compared to between two and four a day the previous week.

Girard said it was imperative to avoid a “domino effect” of secondary cases and community spread.

A man walks by the Bar Kirouac, which was closed after people were infected with COVID-19 while participating in karaoke earlier in the week, Wednesday, September 2, 2020 in Quebec City. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jacques Boissinot
A man walks by the Bar Kirouac, which was closed after people were infected with COVID-19 while participating in karaoke earlier in the week, Wednesday, September 2, 2020 in Quebec City. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jacques Boissinot

“I think most people understand the importance of respecting the measures, but it’s as if sometimes we forget the virus is still with us,” he said.

The province as a whole reported 132 new COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, as well as two additional deaths attributed to the novel coronavirus.

Hospitalizations declined by one to 109, while the number of people in intensive care remained stable at 20.

There has been a total of 62,746 COVID-19 cases and 5,764 deaths linked to the virus in the province.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 2, 2020.

–With files from Caroline Plante in Quebec City

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read Preview

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:14 PM CDT

Manitoba government and business leaders are rallying behind Prime Minister Mark Carney’s plan to fight back, after a sudden collapse of trade talks between the U.S. and Canada sparked a new salvo of U.S. tariffs on some Canadian goods.

On Saturday, after Carney vowed to respond with retaliatory tariffs, Manitoba premier Wab Kinew said his government stood “100 per cent” behind the prime minister’s plan to respond to what Kinew called U.S. president Donald Trump’s “unjustified and immoral” tariffs.

“History will not be kind to Donald Trump, so we should never appease him,” Kinew said. “We should fight back, which is what Canada is doing today.”

Kinew met reporters for a brief news conference at the legislature on Saturday afternoon, about an hour after finishing a call with Carney and the other premiers. There was a “really strong sense of unity” on that call, Kinew said, and emphasized that he backs the federal decision to “walk away from what would have been a bad deal.”

Read
Yesterday at 5:14 PM CDT

Swede leads Manitoba Open, Winnipegger sits 33rd

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Swede leads Manitoba Open, Winnipegger sits 33rd

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Yesterday at 6:53 PM CDT

From Lars-Erik Sjoberg to Thomas Steen to Viggo Bjorck, there’s no shortage of Swedish athletes who have quickly become fan favourites here in Winnipeg.

Daniel Svard is hoping to add his name to the growing list.

Although he wields a golf club and not a hockey stick, the 23-year-old from Stockholm is opening plenty of eyes this week at Elmhurst. He carries a two-shot lead into Sunday’s final round of the Manitoba Open, looking to close out his first professional victory in his just his fourth career tournament.

Svard fired a six-under 66 on Saturday to move to 14-under through 54 holes of the PGA Tour Americas event.

Read
Yesterday at 6:53 PM CDT

Outbreak linked to Quebec karaoke bar grows

Morgan Lowrie, The Canadian Press 3 minute read Preview

Outbreak linked to Quebec karaoke bar grows

Morgan Lowrie, The Canadian Press 3 minute read Wednesday, Sep. 2, 2020

MONTREAL - Health officials in Quebec City said they're fighting a spike in the number of infections in the region after a karaoke bar was linked to dozens of COVID-19 infections, including at three local schools.

Jacques Girard, the interim director of the regional health authority, said Wednesday an investigation indicates some of the patrons of Le Kirouac bar went to other bars while contagious, spreading the virus.

"We now have evidence that those people who were COVID-positive, who maybe hadn't had the results of their tests but who were contagious, went to other places," he said.

"It's there when our alarm signal went off."

Read
Wednesday, Sep. 2, 2020

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Preview

Plenty of alternatives to U.S. wines on the shelves

Ben Sigurdson 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

In February 2025, Manitoba (and most other provinces) pulled American liquor from store shelves as part of the ongoing trade dispute with the United States.

Then in December, the province followed a similar course to others and put American booze that was already on hand back on shelves, selling off inventory that had been wasting away in warehouses for months, and directing proceeds from those sales to charities.

Lineups sprung up at numerous stores as consumers snapped up bestselling American products — think Maker’s Mark, Jack Daniel’s, Apothic Red and the like. After that initial rush, what was left has been languishing on shelves ever since, with many products eventually being drastically discounted for a quick sale, lest they become too long in the tooth.

I decided early on not to write about/review U.S. products in this space until things were well and truly sorted. But a few months back, I found myself in the mood for a big, oaky red wine and — in a moment of weakness, or nostalgia, or maybe just curiosity — I picked up a $30-ish California Cabernet Sauvignon.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 17 minute read Preview

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 17 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

On most days at Health Sciences Centre’s adult emergency department, all 58 treatment beds are filled with sick patients. Another dozen or so brought in by ambulance line the hallways on stretchers, with only one nurse to look after them.

Out in the waiting room, about 30 or 40 people — sometimes more — are slouched in chairs in pain or discomfort, waiting hours to see a doctor. Most have been assessed by a triage nurse, but many will have to wait 10 to 20 hours to be examined by a physician because there’s no room for them in the treatment area.

Some patients leave because they can no longer tolerate the excruciating wait, only to return days later, sicker than they were before.

Welcome to the emergency department at Manitoba’s largest hospital, where some of the highest-acuity patients seek medical care but now face delays that were unimaginable a few years ago.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026