MMF, MKO air frustrations on remote priority plan
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Monthly Digital Subscription
$1 per week for 24 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Billed as $4.00 plus GST every four weeks. After 24 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
Monthly Digital Subscription
$4.99/week*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Billed as $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $16.99 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $23.99 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 09/03/2021 (1808 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Manitoba is prioritizing remote communities for COVID-19 vaccinations, but Indigenous leaders say they’re in the dark about an imminent plan to ramp up, leading to squabbles just as massive shipments of doses arrive.
“There is a significant amount of work to be done in a short amount of time,” wrote northern Grand Chief Garrison Settee.
Last week, the province announced its plan to give all Manitobans their first COVID-19 shot by May 18 will start with remote zones, including all 63 First Nations reserves, 47 remote communities administered by the Indigenous and Northern Relations Department (INR), and six rural municipalities.
Many INR communities have a large Métis population, such as Duck Bay and Camperville.
Last week’s announcement had the Manitoba Metis Federation flooded with calls, asking whether the doses would be coming into the community or if residents will be bussed out to a vaccination “super site,” and when.
Frustration around those questions lead to a Monday meeting of the province’s urban-Indigenous vaccination planning committee falling apart.
The MMF accused the province of dodging questions about how remote communities will get vaccinated. The province said it couldn’t discuss rural issues at the urban committee, but would do so at a separate meeting Wednesday.
“What the hell do we tell our people who are calling us? What do we say to them?” MMF president David Chartrand said in an interview.
A provincial spokesman said Tuesday the MMF was asked to bring those concerns to a later meeting: “They left the meeting and have not yet responded to outreach to address their questions.”
The MMF said the province is pushing it around. “They won’t answer our questions, so we’re pulling out,” said Chartrand,
He complained First Nations are getting much more input and control over Manitoba’s rollout — a concern the federal government has raised.
Yet, the picture isn’t so rosy for those who already have a foot in the door.
Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak, which represents northern chiefs, has a doctor taking part in the province’s vaccination planning. But the group still doesn’t know which communities will come first or which will head to a super site or have an inoculation team visit.
Starting this week, a handful of remote towns and one reserve will be first to have shots at the super site in Thompson, including all adults in the town of Snow Lake.
However, a letter to residents announcing the plan said this decision had been made alongside MKO, which the town said was based on information from the province.
Not so, Settee said.
“We are concerned that the province is suggesting MKO is advocating for non-Indigenous citizens to receive their vaccines before First Nations people,” the grand chief wrote.
He said MKO has never helped plan anything for anyone other than First Nations, whom COVID-19 has disproportionately killed.
Now, First Nations are asking MKO why it supports vaccinating young adults in mining towns, when it’s unclear when middle-aged First Nations off-reserve will get a shot.
The province had no comment, other than saying it has worked well with MKO.
“We cannot speak as to the actions/communications which came from the Town of Snow Lake,” a spokesman wrote.
Settee said the incident speaks to a communication issue on the province’s side.
He has asked twice to meet with Premier Brian Pallister to iron out issues in the rollout the existing vaccination talks haven’t fixed.
Pallister’s office responded it will forward the most recent request to Health Minister Heather Stefanson, as it involves her file.
dylan.robertson@freepress.mb.ca