McIlroy on board with ban on green reading books

Advertisement

Advertise with us

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Count Rory McIlroy in when it comes to banning the books players use to help them read greens — even though he uses one himself.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 16/06/2021 (1889 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Count Rory McIlroy in when it comes to banning the books players use to help them read greens — even though he uses one himself.

McIlroy, responding to reports the books carried by most players in their back pockets may be on their way out as early as this fall, said he believes reading the way greens break is a skill that should be part of the game. The books, he said, cut into the advantage good green readers have.

“I use a greens book and I’d like to get rid of them,’’ McIlroy said. “If it’s going to be available to us and it helps us, people are going to use it, but I think for the greater good of the game I’d like to see them be outlawed and for them not to be used anymore.”

Rory McIlroy, of Northern Ireland, plays his shot from the second tee during a practice round of the U.S. Open Golf Championship, Wednesday, June 16, 2021, at Torrey Pines Golf Course in San Diego. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)
Rory McIlroy, of Northern Ireland, plays his shot from the second tee during a practice round of the U.S. Open Golf Championship, Wednesday, June 16, 2021, at Torrey Pines Golf Course in San Diego. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

McIlroy’s comments come in the wake of a report in Golfweek that the PGA Tour’s Player Advisory Council voted earlier this month to outlaw the books, a vote that will go to the full tour membership for final approval. McIlroy is chairman of the council and made clear his position is that the books should be taken out of the game at the highest level.

“It’s not that it’s an advantage really, it’s just taking away a skill that takes time and practice to be mastered,’’ McIlroy said. “I think reading greens is a real skill that some people are better at than others and it just nullifies that advantage that people have.’’

The books have also come under criticism for contributing to slow play, something McIlroy said should also be taken into account by players.

“It might make practice rounds a little longer and you might have to do a little more work,’’ he said. “But I think once we get to the tournament rounds it will speed up play and I think it will help the guys who have really done their homework, it will help them stand out a little bit more.’’

___

The roars are back at major championship golf, though they won’t be as loud as they might have been this week at the U.S. Open.

Officials say up to 10,000 fans a day will be at Torrey Pines, a welcome site after the last Open was played without fans at Winged Foot

“I look around this place and I see like 90 days ago we didn’t think we were gong to have fans,” said John Bodenhamer, senior managing director of championships for the USGA. “To see that we have six or seven grandstands that have gone up in the last couple of weeks, it’s pretty remarkable.’’

While happy to have a crowd, USGA officials can only shake their heads at the timing. On Tuesday, California loosened its COVID-19 restrictions, allowing the Los Angeles Dodgers to play Tuesday before more than 50,000 fans, which is about the number of tickets usually sold for a normal Open round.

Bodenhamer said there simply wasn’t enough time to revamp the plan and add capacity to Torrey Pines once it became clear that restrictions would be lifted.

“I had the question earlier today, why don’t you have 30,000, 40,000 people?” he said. “What we do in building what is essentially a small city, we start six months in advance and it takes a while. I think what you see out there for 8,000 or 10,000 that will happen this week, it’s a remarkable accomplishment.’’

___

Dustin Johnson has no problem with broadcasters using drones to offer better camera angles at big golf tournaments.

In fact, he’s got a few drones himself.

“They sit in the box. I’ve flown a few of them and they crash,” Johnson said. “I tried flying them at the house where there’s a lot of trees, and there’s not a whole lot of room to land them and take off. So I need to go and practice in an open field.”

Johnson said the drones can give fans a different perspective on the course and add to their understanding of what players face on different shots. He said he’s heard a few fly over during tournaments but they haven’t been a distraction.

Rory McIlroy, of Northern Ireland, left, and Dustin Johnson, right, point from the second tee box during a practice round of the U.S. Open Golf Championship, Wednesday, June 16, 2021, at Torrey Pines Golf Course in San Diego. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)
Rory McIlroy, of Northern Ireland, left, and Dustin Johnson, right, point from the second tee box during a practice round of the U.S. Open Golf Championship, Wednesday, June 16, 2021, at Torrey Pines Golf Course in San Diego. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)

“Obviously, the guys know what they’re doing,” he said. “So they stay out of your way.”

___

Mike Davis was doing the pairings the week before the 2008 U.S. Open at Torrey Pines when he got a call offering up some startling information about the condition of Tiger Woods’ leg.

The longtime USGA executive knew going into the Open that Woods was having problems with his leg — but didn’t know how big an issue it was. Then he got a call from Woods’ agent, Mark Steinberg, who offered some detail.

“Mark said, Mike, I need to share with you that Tiger has fractured his leg in a few places,’’ Davis recalled. “And I said, What?’’

Steinberg told Davis that Woods was going to play and asked him not to share the information about his leg. Woods not only played but sank a putt on the 18th hole on Sunday to force a Monday playoff with Rocco Mediate it took him 19 holes to win.

Davis said he marveled to himself while watching Woods up close that week.

“Really, as well as Tiger can strike a ball, the shot-making skills, the athletic skills, it’s up here that really has made Tiger different,’’ Davis said, pointing to his head. “And that week, knowing he was playing on a leg that was fractured in a few places, the mental fortitude to know at impact you’re going to have that kind of pain and just to say, commit to that shot and do it, I’ll never forget it because just walking with him, the pain he was in. And, again, people didn’t know he had a fractured leg. They just thought he had a knee problem.”

___

Dustin Johnson won four times in the pandemic year of 2020, including his victory in the November Masters.

He added another trophy Wednesday without even touching a club.

Johnson was awarded the Mark McCormack trophy for most time spent at No. 1 in the world golf ranking during 2020. Johnson spent 19 weeks at No. 1 in a year when the top ranking was owned by five different players at various points.

Johnson, who has now won the award three times, also is the current world No. 1.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

Hannah Schoenbaum, The Associated Press 6 minute read Preview

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

Hannah Schoenbaum, The Associated Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 12:26 PM CDT

Hayden Panettiere, a onetime child star who soared to fame in the TV shows “Heroes” and “Nashville” while enduring struggles with alcohol addiction and depression, has died. She was 36.

Police said Panettiere was found unresponsive in an apartment in Greenville, South Carolina, shortly before 2 p.m. Sunday. Lifesaving measures were performed but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

No cause of death has been determined and Panettiere's death remains under investigation. An autopsy found no signs of trauma and police said officers saw no signs of foul play.

The television and film performer, who would have turned 37 on Friday, had been open about her private battles and wrote at length about them in the memoir, “This Is Me,” which came out in May. She described lifelong scars from her early fame, and acknowledged being addicted to alcohol and enduring postpartum depression after the birth of her daughter, Kaya, with Ukrainian boxer Wladimir Klitschko in 2014.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 12:26 PM CDT

Fundraising rappel from top of downtown tower with persuasive granddaughter leaves 72-year-old exhilarated

Zoe Pierce 4 minute read Preview

Fundraising rappel from top of downtown tower with persuasive granddaughter leaves 72-year-old exhilarated

Zoe Pierce 4 minute read 1:58 PM CDT

It’s safe to say that most people don’t spend Tuesday mornings rappelling 83 metres down the side of a downtown building.

With their 72-year-old grandmother.

But that’s exactly how 23-year-old Morgan Parker started her Tuesday.

Parker and her grandmother Christine Jameus were among 50 Manitobans who took part in Easter Seals’ Drop Zone, raising money for Manitoba Possible, a non-profit organization working to eliminate barriers to full and equal participation for people with disabilities.

Read
1:58 PM CDT

Two-time cancer survivor trades blows with angry Lake Winnipeg in epic 12-hour fundraising swim

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Preview

Two-time cancer survivor trades blows with angry Lake Winnipeg in epic 12-hour fundraising swim

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 2:46 PM CDT

After 12 hours of wind, waves and a painful shoulder, Jonathon Fenton has finished what he started, making it across Lake Winnipeg.

The 62-year-old two-time cancer survivor completed the roughly 26-kilometre swim Sunday, a year after shoulder problems forced him to stop 16 kilometres into his first attempt.

The swim was the second year of Fenton’s Jonny’s Big Swim fundraiser, which supports the Alberta Cancer Foundation, CancerCare Manitoba Foundation and Health Sciences Centre Foundation.

He raised roughly $48,000 this year, bringing the two-year total to about $90,000.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 2:46 PM CDT

Trustees call for e-scooter safety education

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Preview

Trustees call for e-scooter safety education

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

School trustees are calling on the province to bolster public education around e-bike and e-scooter safety ahead of back-to-school season.

The Manitoba School Boards Association brought members’ concerns about a growing number of students using electronic devices to get to and from classes to the education minister’s office this month.

“There’s a concerning lack of safety knowledge on the part of Manitoba youth,” executive director Alan Campbell said.

Campbell, a long-time trustee in the Interlake School Division, resigned from elected office this summer to run the association that mobilizes school boards and provides them with labour relations support.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Preview

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Yesterday at 5:49 PM CDT

A three-person crew, employed by the city as part of its recently expanded proactive cleanup program, allowed the Free Press to follow along last week while they worked to make the Freight House Recreation Centre's property safe to play in.

Read
Yesterday at 5:49 PM CDT

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Preview

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read 4:29 PM CDT

Matriarchal influences run deep at House of Ma Kitchen and Bar.

Executive chef Dom Merano took inspiration from his mom’s home cooking while developing the menu for the new Exchange District restaurant — specifically Cynthia Merano’s recipes for lumpia (Filipino spring rolls) and kare-kare (braised beef and peanut stew).

“It tastes like home,” Merano says of the dishes, adding that his mom “felt honoured to be able to share her cooking with people. She was actually here prior to opening helping me roll lumpia.”

Cynthia’s photo is hung among the “Wall of Mas” at the back of the restaurant, where the mothers and grandmothers of True Hospitality staff are given pride of place.

Read
4:29 PM CDT