Wales know more about Canada’s Welsh coaches than the team

Advertisement

Advertise with us

CARDIFF, Wales (AP) — Wales doesn't know much about the Canada team it faces on Saturday at Principality Stadium. It knows a lot about its coaches though.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 01/07/2021 (1879 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

CARDIFF, Wales (AP) — Wales doesn’t know much about the Canada team it faces on Saturday at Principality Stadium. It knows a lot about its coaches though.

Canada coach Kingsley Jones and assistant Rob Howley are former Wales teammates and captains. Another assistant, Byron Hayward, was another Wales teammate of theirs, and worked under current Wales coach Wayne Pivac until he was released last December.

Jones also coached the Newport-based Dragons and briefly worked for the Welsh Rugby Union until Canada called in 2017.

Howley assisted former Wales coach Warren Gatland and was a big part of their success for 11 years until just before the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan when he was caught breaching betting rules. He was banned for 18 months, nine months suspended.

Jones hired Howley last year and Hayward this year as a technical adviser and, because of the pandemic, Canada’s first opponent since the Rugby World Cup 21 months ago is Wales.

“If someone had told me 18 months, two years ago, that my first (international) game back would have been against Wales, you couldn’t write it really,” Howley said.

“It is significant for me, and for my family. I’ve been out of the game, I love the game, I’m very passionate and a very passionate Welsh person.

“I like to think I can add value and I’ve enjoyed working with all the coaches in Canada, and particularly the players. The players are on a pathway towards the Rugby World Cup (in 2023), and I’m just so happy to be back involved in the game, and to be back in international rugby.”

Hayward said his first big game back being Wales was an amazing coincidence.

The match will also pull at Jones’ emotions. Last week he realized he’d be in the stadium hearing the Welsh anthem with a permitted crowd of 8,000.

“I was asked which anthem I would sing. ‘Either both or neither,’ that’s what my answer was,” Jones said.

Pivac was happy to see Howley and Hayward back and working.

“Byron has worked really hard to be at the level of the game that he was operating at. It was well documented when he left (Wales) that the chemistry just didn’t work at that point in time with this group,” Pivac said.

“But you don’t become a bad coach overnight, and Byron has done very well in his coaching career. I knew that he would bounce back from that, it was just about waiting for the right opportunity.”

Wales has five uncapped players, starting two, lock Ben Carter and wing Tom Rogers.

Canada has seven uncapped players, starting four. No. 8 Siaki Vikilani, scrumhalf Ross Braude, inside center Quinn Ngawati who came from rugby league’s Toronto Wolfpack, and fullback Cooper Coats from the Canada Sevens have starting debuts.

They are building to Rugby World Cup qualifiers against the United States in September.

___

Lineups:

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny, Jonah Holmes, Uilisi Halaholo, Jonathan Davies (captain), Tom Rogers, Callum Sheedy, Tomos Williams; Aaron Wainwright, James Botham, Ross Moriarty, Will Rowlands, Ben Carter, Dillon Lewis, Elliot Dee, Nicky Smith. Reserves: Ryan Elias, Gareth Thomas, Leon Brown, Josh Turnbull, Taine Basham, Kieran Hardy, Ben Thomas, Nick Tompkins.

Canada: Cooper Coats, Cole Davis, Ben Lesage, Quinn Ngawati, Kainoa Lloyd, Peter Nelson, Ross Braude; Siaki Vikilani, Lucas Rumball (captain), Reegan O’Gorman, Josh Larsen, Conor Keys, Jake Ilnicki, Andrew Quattrin, Djustice Sears-Duru. Reserves: Eric Howard, Cole Keith, Tyler Rowland, Donald Carson, Michael Smith, Lucas Albornoz, William Percillier, Robbie Povey.

___

More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

BigXThaPlug misses Country Rising appearance after arrest

1 minute read Yesterday at 12:05 PM CDT

Country-rap headliner BigXThaPlug, scheduled to appear at the third annual Country Rising festival at Blue Cross Park on Friday, missed performing at the festival after being arrested on drug charges in Texas earlier in the day.

According to Dallas’s KDFW, the performer, born Xavier Landum, was arrested by the Allen Police Department and booked into the Collin County Jail on Friday.

The jail’s website states Landum was charged with driving while intoxicated, marijuana possession of less than two ounces, and unlawful possession of a firearm.

Bombers offence stalls in 22-19 loss to Elks

Joshua Frey-Sam 7 minute read Preview

Bombers offence stalls in 22-19 loss to Elks

Joshua Frey-Sam 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:19 AM CDT

It was a microcosm of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ season to this point: a first half that burned bright only to be doused in cold water.

The Bombers began the first leg of their mid-season gauntlet with a 22-19 loss to the Edmonton Elks at Commonwealth Stadium in the Alberta capital on Friday night.

Elks quarterback Cody Fajardo orchestrated an eight-play, 54-yard drive that set up a 40-yard game-winning field goal by Vincent Blanchard that snuck inside the left upright with zeros on the clock.

The drive, which was plagued by poor tackling by the Bombers defence, came after Bombers kicker Sergio Castillo tied the game at 19-19 on a 53-yard boot with 1:41 remaining in the contest.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:19 AM CDT

‘We got attacked’: Carney says retaliatory tariffs on U.S. to take effect next month

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

‘We got attacked’: Carney says retaliatory tariffs on U.S. to take effect next month

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 3:46 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Prime Minister Mark Carney says retaliatory tariffs will hit the U.S. starting next month after Canada walked away from what he called a "bad deal."

The U.S. introduced new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports on Saturday after trade talks failed.

"We got attacked," Carney told reporters on Parliament Hill Saturday when asked about the escalating trade war.

Carney suspended talks with the United States late Friday and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 3:46 PM CDT

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

Five Things: PM Carney explains why Canada left the U.S. negotiating table

David Baxter, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Five Things: PM Carney explains why Canada left the U.S. negotiating table

David Baxter, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 1:58 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Canada is preparing to hit the U.S. with dollar-for-dollar tariffs in response to new 50 per cent duties on $28 billion worth of Canadian products that took effect when talks between the two nations collapsed as negotiations neared the finish line. 

Prime Minister Mark Carney was quiet publicly during the final days of negotiations, but now has now explained his rationale for telling the Canadian negotiating team, led by Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc and chief negotiator Janice Charette, to leave the table.

Restrictions on further trade deals

"The U.S. Introduced at the last hours, in the last hours, efforts to restrict our ability to have other trade deals. You heard me say a moment ago, what we've accomplished in the past year, 20 new deals, economic and security partnerships, the prospect of doubling our market access because we believe in free trade. We're the partner of choice in many respects for countries around the world and the Americans wanted to restrict that. They had language that what they wanted to restrict that, unacceptable," Carney said during a press conference on Parliament Hill.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 1:58 PM CDT

Swede leads Manitoba Open, Winnipegger sits 33rd

Mike McIntyre 5 minute read Preview

Swede leads Manitoba Open, Winnipegger sits 33rd

Mike McIntyre 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:53 PM CDT

From Lars-Erik Sjoberg to Thomas Steen to Viggo Bjorck, there’s no shortage of Swedish athletes who have quickly become fan favourites here in Winnipeg.

Daniel Svard is hoping to add his name to the growing list.

Although he wields a golf club and not a hockey stick, the 23-year-old from Stockholm is opening plenty of eyes this week at Elmhurst. He carries a two-shot lead into Sunday’s final round of the Manitoba Open, looking to close out his first professional victory in his just his fourth career tournament.

Svard fired a six-under 66 on Saturday to move to 14-under through 54 holes of the PGA Tour Americas event.

Read
Yesterday at 6:53 PM CDT