Romania: Former ruling party leader gets early jail release

Advertisement

Advertise with us

BUCHAREST (AP) — A former leader of Romania’s Social Democratic Party who was sentenced to 3 1/2 years in jail for corruption in 2019 will be released early, a court ruled Thursday.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 15/07/2021 (1862 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

BUCHAREST (AP) — A former leader of Romania’s Social Democratic Party who was sentenced to 3 1/2 years in jail for corruption in 2019 will be released early, a court ruled Thursday.

Liviu Dragnea, who was convicted by the Supreme Court in May 2019 for official misconduct, was considered Romania’s most powerful politician at the time of his sentencing.

According to prosecutors, Dragnea intervened to keep two people employed by his party on the payroll of a family welfare agency while he was a government official between 2008 to 2010. The women admitted receiving salaries from the public agency while working for the party.

FILE - In this Monday, April 15, 2019 file photo, Liviu Dragnea, the leader of Romania's ruling Social Democratic party, leaves escorted by police officers after a court hearing in Bucharest, Romania. Liviu Dragnea, a former leader of Romania's Social Democratic Party who was sentenced to 3 ½ years in jail for corruption in 2019 will be released early, a court ruled Thursday, July 15, 2021. (AP Photo/Vadim Ghirda, file)
FILE - In this Monday, April 15, 2019 file photo, Liviu Dragnea, the leader of Romania's ruling Social Democratic party, leaves escorted by police officers after a court hearing in Bucharest, Romania. Liviu Dragnea, a former leader of Romania's Social Democratic Party who was sentenced to 3 ½ years in jail for corruption in 2019 will be released early, a court ruled Thursday, July 15, 2021. (AP Photo/Vadim Ghirda, file)

Dragnea, who has served almost two years and two months of his total sentence, appealed Thursday to judges at a Bucharest district court saying that his good behavior during his jail term warranted his early release.

“I carried the punishment with decency and dignity,” Dragnea told the judges. “I went to work every day I was allowed to. I participated in all the courses I was allowed to, I never missed a day.”

The court said Thursday that the decision to allow his conditional release is final. An earlier request in April had been rejected.

Under Dragnea’s leadership in 2017, the then-ruling PSD Party pushed to amend justice laws that prompted some of the biggest anti-government protests in Romania since the fall of communism in 1989.

Dragnea, who contracted COVID-19 while in jail last year and had complained about his treatment during his detention, was blocked from being Romania’s prime minister due to a 2016 conviction for vote-rigging.

FILE - In this Monday, April 15, 2019 file photo, Liviu Dragnea, the leader of Romania's ruling Social Democratic party, center, arrives escorted by police officers for a court hearing in Bucharest, Romania Monday. Liviu Dragnea, a former leader of Romania's Social Democratic Party who was sentenced to 3 ½ years in jail for corruption in 2019 will be released early, a court ruled Thursday, July 15, 2021. (AP Photo/Vadim Ghirda, file)
FILE - In this Monday, April 15, 2019 file photo, Liviu Dragnea, the leader of Romania's ruling Social Democratic party, center, arrives escorted by police officers for a court hearing in Bucharest, Romania Monday. Liviu Dragnea, a former leader of Romania's Social Democratic Party who was sentenced to 3 ½ years in jail for corruption in 2019 will be released early, a court ruled Thursday, July 15, 2021. (AP Photo/Vadim Ghirda, file)

After Dragnea was sentenced in 2019, hundreds of Romanians took to the streets of Romania’s capital to celebrate.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Preview

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

A three-person crew, employed by the city as part of its recently expanded proactive cleanup program, allowed the Free Press to follow along last week while they worked to make the Freight House Recreation Centre's property safe to play in.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Liquor authority fines True North $12K after minors with fake ID served at Jets White Out party

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Liquor authority fines True North $12K after minors with fake ID served at Jets White Out party

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

True North Sports and Entertainment was hit with a $12,000 fine for serving minors with fake IDs during a Winnipeg Jets White Out street party in 2025.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Yesterday at 5:35 PM CDT

A West Broadway landlord is off the hook for clearing a large riverbank encampment after the City of Winnipeg rescinded an order threatening to stick him with the cleanup bill.

Marvin Sharp, CEO of Astroid Management Ltd., which operates the Pen-Eve Apartments at 35 Balmoral St., said he received a call from the city Tuesday letting him know the order has been cancelled.

In a statement from the city, an official said the order was shelved due to an existing and active easement on the property.

“We have been communicating with the property owner throughout this process and they have been informed of this development,” a spokesperson said.

Read
Yesterday at 5:35 PM CDT

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Preview

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Yesterday at 4:29 PM CDT

Matriarchal influences run deep at House of Ma Kitchen and Bar.

Executive chef Dom Merano took inspiration from his mom’s home cooking while developing the menu for the new Exchange District restaurant — specifically Cynthia Merano’s recipes for lumpia (Filipino spring rolls) and kare-kare (braised beef and peanut stew).

“It tastes like home,” Merano says of the dishes, adding that his mom “felt honoured to be able to share her cooking with people. She was actually here prior to opening helping me roll lumpia.”

Cynthia’s photo is hung among the “Wall of Mas” at the back of the restaurant, where the mothers and grandmothers of True Hospitality staff are given pride of place.

Read
Yesterday at 4:29 PM CDT

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read 5:13 PM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
5:13 PM CDT