Fort Whyte byelection date set, campaigns rev up
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Monthly Digital Subscription
$0 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*No charge for 4 weeks then price increases to the regular rate of $19.00 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
Monthly Digital Subscription
$4.75/week*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Billed as $19 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $16.99 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $23.99 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 22/02/2022 (1377 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
A provincial byelection for the Fort Whyte district has been called for March 22.
Manitoba Premier Heather Stefanson announced the date Tuesday for the vote to fill the southwest Winnipeg seat vacated Oct. 4 by former Tory premier Brian Pallister. The Legislative Assembly Act states byelections must be held within 180 days of a seat becoming vacant.
So far, three candidates are in the running for the affluent suburban constituency: former Winnipeg Blue Bombers player and restaurateur Ibrahim (Obby) Khan for the Progressive Conservatives; former Bombers player and sheriff’s officer Willard Reaves for the Liberals; and Trudy Schroeder, former executive director of the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra and Winnipeg Folk Festival, for the NDP.
Schroeder was the first out of the gate Tuesday, announcing a news conference later that day.
“Premier Stefanson wants you to forget what her party has done,” Schroeder said in a news release. “Brian Pallister is gone, but she’s just repeating his mistakes. She doesn’t have a plan to fix health care and neither does Obby Khan. But Wab Kinew and the NDP are ready to help people.”
Reaves posted on social media: “This is an opportunity for the people of Fort Whyte to send a strong message to the PC government that their handling of the pandemic and our health-care system has not been good enough.”
Khan said in a news release he sees “a great opportunity for growth as Manitoba loosens health restrictions and reopens our economy.”
The Tory candidate, who is running in a constituency that has only elected PCs since its creation in 1999, supported the premier’s leadership bid last year. On Tuesday, he said his support for Stefanson remains.
“I believe that Heather Stefanson has a great plan and a solid team to move this province forward and I’m excited to help contribute to that,” he said.
Candidates have until 1 p.m., March 7, to file nomination papers.
Advance voting will be held March 10 to 17. Vote by mail is also available. Eligible voters who did not receive a voter information card or whose card was incorrect can visit electionsmanitoba.ca to register or update their information by March 3.
COVID-19 pandemic precautions will be followed at polling places, including masks must be worn until the end of the day March 14.
Now that the byelection date has been announced, restrictions on government advertising and publication are in place until the end of the day March 22.
Under the Election Financing Act, the only exceptions are: a publication that is required by law, disseminates information about public health or safety matters or concerns the usual operations of a government department or Crown agency; continuation of earlier advertisements or publications concerning an ongoing or recurring program or activity; soliciting proposals or tenders for a contract; job advertisement or information disseminated at or about a job or career fair; or that deals with a matter before the legislative assembly, such as the throne speech, budget, introduction or passage of a bill or an order or resolution of the assembly.
The premier called the byelection after a flurry of funding announcements.
On Feb. 18, the province announced $100,000 to assist with programs and services offered through Candace House, a non-profit organization that supports victims and survivors of violent crime. That same day, it announced $8 million for a two-year pilot program for families eligible for Children’s Disability Services who are no longer able to provide care, but do not want to place their children in care of Child and Family Services.
When the Manitoba legislature resumes sitting March 2, there will be 35 Progressive Conservatives, 17 New Democrats, three Liberals and two vacant seats.
Danielle Adams, NDP member for Thompson, was killed in a highway accident Dec. 9. A byelection has to occur in that electoral district no later than June 7, according to the act.
carol.sanders@freepress.mb.ca
Carol Sanders
Legislature reporter
Carol Sanders is a reporter at the Free Press legislature bureau. The former general assignment reporter and copy editor joined the paper in 1997. Read more about Carol.
Every piece of reporting Carol produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.
Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.
Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.