Holocaust and human rights symposium open to all online

Advertisement

Advertise with us

SOMETHING different will happen when students from across the province gather online Thursday for the 20th Holocaust and Human Rights Symposium: their parents and other adults can join them, too.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 06/04/2022 (1598 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

SOMETHING different will happen when students from across the province gather online Thursday for the 20th Holocaust and Human Rights Symposium: their parents and other adults can join them, too.

For the first time, the annual event, which this year features Holocaust survivor Stefan Carter and Free Press columnist Niigaan Sinclair, will be virtual.

Usually held in-person at the University of Winnipeg, the event was cancelled last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

This year’s symposium will be streamed for anyone who wants to attend — and not just students, said Belle Jarniewski, executive director of the Jewish Heritage Centre of Western Canada (the event is also sponsored by Jewish Federation of Winnipeg and Jewish Foundation of Manitoba).

“In a normal year, over 1,200 students from about 28 schools are involved,” she said. “This year, because it’s virtual, we are inviting anyone who wants to attend.”

Going virtual also means more schools, including some from outside Winnipeg, are participating. Fifty schools had signed up by Tuesday.

During the 10-11:45 a.m. symposium, Carter will talk about life before, during and after the Holocaust; Sinclair will talk about life for Indigenous people before, during and after residential schools.

The event comes soon after the papal apology in Rome to Indigenous people for the Roman Catholic Church’s involvement in residential schools, Jarniewski noted.

Its timing is also significant because April 6 is the 28th anniversary of the Rwandan genocide.

“After that the world said, ‘Never again,’ but it keeps happening again and again,” Jarniewski said of human rights abuses that occur around the globe. “We need to pay attention, no matter where they happen.”

The symposium is also of significance because “the window is closing to hear first-hand from Holocaust survivors,” she said, noting Carter is 94.

Attendees will be able to send in questions to the two panelists.

To register, visit www.jhcwc.org/programs.

faith@freepress.mb.ca

The Free Press is committed to covering faith in Manitoba through our Religion in the News project. This reporting continues because readers like you step forward to fund it.

Donate now to support our reporting on religion.

Your donation is eligible for a charitable tax receipt. BECOME A FAITH JOURNALISM SUPPORTER

John Longhurst

John Longhurst
Faith columnist & reporter

John Longhurst has been writing for Winnipeg's faith pages since 2003. He also writes for Religion News Service in the U.S., and blogs about the media, marketing and communications at Making the News.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

The Free Press acknowledges the financial support it receives from members of the city’s faith community, which makes our coverage of religion possible.

More Stories

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 3 minute read Preview

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 3 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

This weekend, the Mole Mobile will set up shop at three Winnipeg Walmart locations. The mobile clinic will have certified dermatologists on site to screen suspicious-looking moles or lesions for skin cancer.

Read
6:00 AM CDT

Nachtigall top of the pack heading into Canadian Mid-Am final

Mike McIntyre 4 minute read Preview

Nachtigall top of the pack heading into Canadian Mid-Am final

Mike McIntyre 4 minute read 5:48 PM CDT

Evan Nachtigall is trying not to get ahead of himself. But you’ll forgive the young Manitoba golfer for pondering the “what if” as he stands on the cusp of a career milestone.

Nachtigall, 25, sits alone on top of the Canadian Men’s Mid-Amateur championship through 54 holes. He is 17-under par and carries a two-shot lead into Friday’s final round at the Brantford Golf & Country Club in Ontario.

“It would be incredible, but there is a lot of golf left to go so I won’t be thinking too much about that until hopefully the final putt drops,” Nachtigall told reporters on scene Thursday.

The Brandon product is aiming to become the first Manitoban to win the national title since Todd Fanning did so in 2017, winning a playoff over Ontario’s Garrett Rank.

Read
5:48 PM CDT

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Preview

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read 6:07 PM CDT

An Interlake teacher with a history of “intimidating” outbursts has been ordered to participate in counselling and study anger-management strategies after he made a child cry.

Read
6:07 PM CDT

ATV, generator stolen from Manitoba cottage

1 minute read Yesterday at 9:53 AM CDT

RCMP are seeking the public’s help to identify a person of interest after an all-terrain vehicle and other belongings were stolen from a cottage in southern Manitoba.

The theft happened near near Provincial Road 440 in the Rural Municipality of Louise, about 150 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, on Aug. 11.

Police said surveillance video showed a man walking onto the property at about 2:30 p.m. while covering his face and holding power tools.

A grinder was used to open a locked shipping container, where a 1982 Honda ATC200 all-terrain vehicle, a Honda EU2000i generator and a Stihl FS90 trimmer were among the items stolen, RCMP said. One of two Spypoint trail cameras was also reported stolen.

One more 50-plus yard kick for Castillo — for the record

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Preview

One more 50-plus yard kick for Castillo — for the record

Taylor Allen 5 minute read 5:33 PM CDT

After last Friday’s win over Ottawa, it was brought to Sergio Castillo’s attention that he had just made CFL history.

On Wednesday, however, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers kicker found out that a mistake was made and that he still has some work to do.

Castillo drilled a 56-yard field goal at the end of the half which, at the time, was believed to be his 41st career 50-plus yarder which set a new league record.

Castillo, as one would, spoke about the accomplishment earlier in the week and reflected on his journey to the milestone.

Read
5:33 PM CDT

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read 6:37 PM CDT

The union representing Winnipeg Transit drivers says the need for full safety shields is critical after an operator was threatened with a hatchet early Thursday.

Read
6:37 PM CDT